Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

note2001

A vaccine may NEVER be developed. Even the varieties of influenza lack vaccines that can prevent getting the virus.

I can't live in fear of what may happen. I plan to live life as I did before - enjoying travel in the US and abroad, and using plains, trains and ships.

The average person lives for themselves. They think of others only if those others yield a benefit back unto themselves. That's pretty sad, but true.

When we hear people say "I'm not going to follow guidelines because I have to live my life" they simply echo eons of evolutionary development. They're not at fault for having that attitude. It takes those with a further concern to long term development and more advanced attitude to say, "No, I won't for the sake of all."

DisneyCane

I think there is likely going to be an international travel ban for a long time...I think Disney is way out ahead of this. Until we have near worldwide - or at least developed worldwide vaccines...I think there’s a shocking reality coming.

Maybe (probably) not business travel...but leisure definitely.

I have a 15 day trip planned to Europe in 8/2021...I don’t think I will be permitted to go.

When testing resources are freed up I could see requiring the 15 minute test at customs upon entering the (any) country vs. long term bans. The mules at the southern border will have to do the same for maximum efficacy.

natatomic

The average person lives for themselves. They think of others only if those others yield a benefit back unto themselves. That's pretty sad, but true.

When we hear people say "I'm not going to follow guidelines because I have to live my life" they simply echo eons of evolutionary development. They're not at fault for having that attitude. It takes those with a further concern to long term development and more advanced attitude to say, "No, I won't for the sake of all."

At the same time, there are people whose livelihoods depend on people “living their lives.” Some 70,000 CMs depend on people coming to vacation and travel from all over the world. No, joblessness doesn’t directly result in death like a disease can. But losing a job can result in homelessness, lack of healthcare, depression, suicidal thoughts, all of which things can easily lead to death too.

I don’t have the exact answer, but I know it lies somewhere between, “let’s shut the world down for months on end to save humanity” and “let’s get the world back to normal tomorrow to save humanity.”

Last edited:

DisneyCane

I find it hard to believe that a nation with more than 1 billion people (China) only had 81k cases. I suspect they had (have) more cases than the US. But China is, well, less than forthcoming with accurate information.
Not just hard to believe but impossible. It took at least a month (probably longer) from the first appearance of the virus until they took any "social distancing" actions in Wuhan. Wuhan has more people than NYC. There is no way that there were fewer cases in Wuhan vs. NYC. Yes, their lockdown was more strict but it took them longer to do anything.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Back from my trip. Incredibly weird. Magic band never worked quite right, but the cute little Mickey head scanners never did anything. I've never had to run so many rides myself and prepare my own meals in eateries. Plus, some places only had things like corn meal available when I peeked in the back. Luckily I always travel with eggs, sugar packets, little bottles of vegetable oil, butter, and creamed corn so I was able to approximate my own corn spoon bread. Still, on the whole, I would rate the experience as a little less than magical. I did get to ride Everest 37 times in a row with no waits. Worked out well since I forgot to get fastpasses.

danitaytay

This may be a shot in the dark, and I don't know if anybody knows of any way to help, but I'd really appreciate some insight.
I was supposed to be a part of the FA DCP that arrived on June 1st. Of course that was outright cancelled this morning. In addition to that, I've lost the rest of my senior year as well as my graduation.

I feel lost right now...I really don't know what to do. A ton of us have contacted Disney programs support, and they basically told us they can't accommodate us by letting us push our dates to the fall, which I don't get since we were supposed to be there anyways. But I understand the logistics of them not knowing when they're going to reopen, how they're going to train CMs, etc. Additionally, they have not mentioned anything besides waiving when graduating seniors can apply to future programs about the re-application process. Which would mean if I wanted to apply for Spring 2021, I would have to go through the entire process again and risk getting denied, even though I've been accepted, paid my fees, and selected my housing over 2 months ago. I know it's an extremely difficult situation on the part of the company, but a huge part of me feels like we're being completely scr*wed over.

This issue is, my plan was to try and stay full time with the company after my program. I now have nothing. No school, no job, no hope. I don't know what to do. I feel like my entire life has fallen apart in the span of a few weeks. I'm scared and I don't know what my future would hold.

Any advice would be appreciated. I just don't know how to further go about this. I just wanted a future with the Walt Disney Company.

Lilofan

...mothballing is never really an option. Not in Florida. Mother Nature hasn’t been furloughed yet😎

I’m guessing it’s at least 83/84 right now with 70% relative humidity? And that’s a blind guess...

Crap...I was off. It’s 79 with 53% RH. Quite lovely? But also the perfect incubator for mold and corrosion on metal
And if the Disney bean counters are trying to save on AC costs, the interior buildings may have the AC set off or at a high operating temp like I do when we vacation at WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’d think anything at the moment would be personal conjecture. I wouldn’t even call it educated to be honest.

My thoughts assuming all other things remain equal. And people do as they’re told.

Some lifting of restrictions late May / early June.
Partial leisure reopening mid July
Partial travel resumption sometime August - albeit with heightened checks and questions

Strictly my thoughts of course.
Ok...

But I’m looking at borders/national security/flight grids.

That doesn’t even address the economics of travel...and that’s huge here on the west side of the pond. The US is in position for major infrastructure bailouts and/or failures.

But to you’re point...it’s very to get a clear read now.

That is political too...I don’t want to talk specifics but that is a huge issue right now in Los Estados Unidos.

DisneyCane

A vaccine may NEVER be developed. Even the varieties of influenza lack vaccines that can prevent getting the virus.

I can't live in fear of what may happen. I plan to live life as I did before - enjoying travel in the US and abroad, and using plains, trains and ships.
You are misunderstanding why the flu vaccine doesn't cover all strains. There are thousands of strains. First, the vaccine dose increases for each included strain. To cover all you'd need to be hooked up to an IV bag for a while to get it all in. Second, they think that if too many strains are in the shot that your immune system might only make antibodies for some and it may pick strains you are unlikely to get.

Therefore, they try and predict (ironically by monitoring China) the most likely strains to hit the US and include the three (I think) most likely in the shot for the year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh, it’s massive over here too. We’re looking at potentially airports as well as airlines failing.
I was under the impression that those had more of a socialized cashflow than here?

Of course...that doesn’t take away from the reality that all transport short of trucking is entirely on the government take here as well...

But I saw Spain and Italy are in no question gonna default and have to be bailed out even more than normal by the EU/EC and/or world bank?

...that can’t help.

JohnD

You are misunderstanding why the flu vaccine doesn't cover all strains. There are thousands of strains. First, the vaccine dose increases for each included strain. To cover all you'd need to be hooked up to an IV bag for a while to get it all in. Second, they think that if too many strains are in the shot that your immune system might only make antibodies for some and it may pick strains you are unlikely to get.

Therefore, they try and predict (ironically by monitoring China) the most likely strains to hit the US and include the three (I think) most likely in the shot for the year.

Even then you could get a strain of the flu not in the shot. Back in 2008-2009, when H1N1 was the big focus, H1NB was removed from the shot and replaced with H1N1. I got the flu. Guess which strain. . . The silver lining is that the shot still keeps the symptoms down. I was still completely miserable and contagious but had a fever no more than 101. The fever would have been higher without the shot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Even then you could get a strain of the flu not in the shot. Back in 2008-2009, when H1N1 was the big focus, H1NB was removed from the shot and replaced with H1N1. I got the flu. Guess which strain. . . The silver lining is that the shot still keeps the symptoms down. I was still completely miserable and contagious but had a fever no more than 101. The fever would have been higher without the shot.
Even if they miss the strain...the flu is not likely to kill you...

That’s what we are at least looking for from pharma now.

Polynesia

Look, I know that the entire economy cannot remain shut down until a vaccine is developed and available. But I also cannot imagine ever considering getting on board a cruise ship until a vaccine is ready. I don't know how others feel, but I would have to think that many people will be equally hesitant. I tend to think that the cruise industry is basically done for a while. But I could be wrong.
We have a cruise planned for September and hopefully it will be available. It’s a double dip so there are not a lot of stops at foreign ports. Until all the countries have peaked and then gone down I can’t see any international travel. China is having issues because people are coming back in to their country. Now they are required to quarantine. The sane principal applies for the states. Florida hasn’t yet peaked and I’m sure once New York peaks they wouldn’t be happy about Floridians coming to their state. I know we’ll get there.

Polynesia

I find it hard to believe that a nation with more than 1 billion people (China) only had 81k cases. I suspect they had (have) more cases than the US. But China is, well, less than forthcoming with accurate information.
I recall reading something that said 86% of their cases were never tested and counted. Which means the virus was out among us for quite awhile.

SOOMIN

This has been talked about in my 30 years plus of working. In an office setting, does one even make eye contact or acknowledge an office cleaner doing their job to keep your areas and bathrooms clean as much as they do a boss, VP, CEO or peer that comes their way. Everyone is a person and everyone deserves to be acknowledged and recognized. Somebody told me with ignorance maybe the office cleaner doesn't speak English. I told them they understand a 😊 , a Hi, and a Thank You.😉
Always. I always say Hi to everyone a work with.
Cleaners, security and window cleaners.
Why would you not ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom