Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Ariel

This may be a ridiculous question, but I'm wondering what are the odds Haunted Mansion stays closed for a while after the park reopens? It dawned on me yesterday that an attraction making light of death may be a bit inappropriate for a while. If some of the other indoor attractions are closed I suspect it could go down with those.
Doubtful.

Angel Ariel

SeaWorld is taking this tougher than a lot of other parks. When Universal or MK are shut that's it...but when you have live animals like SeaWorld and AK you have lots of expenses feeding and cleaning habitats.
Which is why places like the Cincinatti Zoo are doing daily live streams featuring different animals, and appealing for donations during this time. I wonder if Sea World is doing anything similar? We've been tuning in daily and will donate - it's been a great experience for DD.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"South Carolina issued a stay-at-home order on Monday, the last state east of the Mississippi River to tell residents they must limit their travel during the coronavirus outbreak.

Gov. Henry McMaster also issued an order restricting the number of shoppers in stores."

Flugell

Irrespective of political ideologies when the elected leader of the government of your country is admitted to Intensive care because of this evil virus it brings a new perspective to the situation. Please stay home, stay safe and keep the lockdown in place until it can be virtually guaranteed that it is safe to slowly get back to whatever the new normality may be. Your government needs to step up the financial aid so that people can stay home without the terror of losing houses or going hungry.

ImperfectPixie

This may be a shot in the dark, and I don't know if anybody knows of any way to help, but I'd really appreciate some insight.
I was supposed to be a part of the FA DCP that arrived on June 1st. Of course that was outright cancelled this morning. In addition to that, I've lost the rest of my senior year as well as my graduation.

I feel lost right now...I really don't know what to do. A ton of us have contacted Disney programs support, and they basically told us they can't accommodate us by letting us push our dates to the fall, which I don't get since we were supposed to be there anyways. But I understand the logistics of them not knowing when they're going to reopen, how they're going to train CMs, etc. Additionally, they have not mentioned anything besides waiving when graduating seniors can apply to future programs about the re-application process. Which would mean if I wanted to apply for Spring 2021, I would have to go through the entire process again and risk getting denied, even though I've been accepted, paid my fees, and selected my housing over 2 months ago. I know it's an extremely difficult situation on the part of the company, but a huge part of me feels like we're being completely scr*wed over.

This issue is, my plan was to try and stay full time with the company after my program. I now have nothing. No school, no job, no hope. I don't know what to do. I feel like my entire life has fallen apart in the span of a few weeks. I'm scared and I don't know what my future would hold.

Any advice would be appreciated. I just don't know how to further go about this. I just wanted a future with the Walt Disney Company.
I don't have any advice...I just wanted to tell you I'm so sorry about your situation. 😔

Flugell

The picture of the young man just strengthens the case to stay inside and stay safe. WDW will come back, we all hope quickly, but surely not at the expense of risking lives. I have no idea how that can be achieved but there are People in the background working to achieve this aim, we just need to ensure that they are given the time, money and resources to manage this as quickly and safely as possible.

lazyboy97o

This may be a shot in the dark, and I don't know if anybody knows of any way to help, but I'd really appreciate some insight.
I was supposed to be a part of the FA DCP that arrived on June 1st. Of course that was outright cancelled this morning. In addition to that, I've lost the rest of my senior year as well as my graduation.

I feel lost right now...I really don't know what to do. A ton of us have contacted Disney programs support, and they basically told us they can't accommodate us by letting us push our dates to the fall, which I don't get since we were supposed to be there anyways. But I understand the logistics of them not knowing when they're going to reopen, how they're going to train CMs, etc. Additionally, they have not mentioned anything besides waiving when graduating seniors can apply to future programs about the re-application process. Which would mean if I wanted to apply for Spring 2021, I would have to go through the entire process again and risk getting denied, even though I've been accepted, paid my fees, and selected my housing over 2 months ago. I know it's an extremely difficult situation on the part of the company, but a huge part of me feels like we're being completely scr*wed over.

This issue is, my plan was to try and stay full time with the company after my program. I now have nothing. No school, no job, no hope. I don't know what to do. I feel like my entire life has fallen apart in the span of a few weeks. I'm scared and I don't know what my future would hold.

Any advice would be appreciated. I just don't know how to further go about this. I just wanted a future with the Walt Disney Company.
If you want to go work at the parks full time, then you can apply when hiring resumes. The harsh reality is that the College Program is not the “foot in the door” that Disney wants people to believe.

danitaytay

I don't have any advice...I just wanted to tell you I'm so sorry about your situation. 😔

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

If you want to go work at the parks full time, then you can apply when hiring resumes. The harsh reality is that the College Program is not the “foot in the door” that Disney wants people to believe.

Unfortunately in my particular field, it's extremely to get a position full-time with Disney without doing the CP first. I've spoken to so many people that work for Disney in my field and they all told me the same. It's very discouraging.

Nemo14

While I understand your disappointment and your fears, it's important to point out that you have a lot to be grateful for too. You're young, and assumedly not trying to support a family or a lavish lifestyle. Yeah it stinks that you have to put your plans on hold for now for a few months, but please understand that there are people genuinely suffering right now, and fearing for their veritable lives every minute of the day. Maybe a Disney career will eventually happen for you, but right now is not the time to mourn for that. Take this time now to set your priorities, research your possibilities, and prepare to be flexible. Better days will come eventually.

KikoKea

I'm sorry this is a hard time for you- it's tough for many. But, it is not a dead end for you- just a bump in the road. You can't change what Disney does, but you still have options. Perhaps you could apply for college beginning next Fall to finish out your degree. Perhaps there are classes you could take online this summer to earn credits or a certificate that would look great on your resume. There are places hiring, despite the Covid19 problems- Walmart, Costco, drug stores, fast food places. Perhaps you could check around. This problem will pass and you will be fine.

DCBaker

Premium Member
American Family Insurance joins Allstate in returning some money.

"American Family Insurance is doing this out of responsibility to our customers. They are driving less and experiencing fewer claims,” COO Telisa Yancy explained.

American Family will provide $50 in premium relief for each vehicle it insures, it explained. The insurance giant points out that its customers have an average of two cars per household, which means most families will get a $100 check."

Wonder if the other insurers will follow?

"U.S. insurer Allstate Corp said on Monday that it would return more than $600 million in auto insurance premiums to customers as many Americans stay home and drive less due to “shelter-in-place” orders to curb the coronavirus outbreak.

Most customers will receive a “payback” of 15% of their monthly premium in April and May, the company said."

DisneyDebRob

American Family Insurance joins Allstate in returning some money.

"American Family Insurance is doing this out of responsibility to our customers. They are driving less and experiencing fewer claims,” COO Telisa Yancy explained.

American Family will provide $50 in premium relief for each vehicle it insures, it explained. The insurance giant points out that its customers have an average of two cars per household, which means most families will get a $100 check."

I’m waiting Farmers. :)

Lilofan

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately in my particular field, it's extremely to get a position full-time with Disney without doing the CP first. I've spoken to so many people that work for Disney in my field and they all told me the same. It's very discouraging.
That's not true for Disney and other companies also in my opinion. Get your foot in the door, work hard, then network, network , network. Someone may give you a chance if they see your sincere drive and deterimination.

danitaytay

While I understand your disappointment and your fears, it's important to point out that you have a lot to be grateful for too. You're young, and assumedly not trying to support a family or a lavish lifestyle. Yeah it stinks that you have to put your plans on hold for now for a few months, but please understand that there are people genuinely suffering right now, and fearing for their veritable lives every minute of the day. Maybe a Disney career will eventually happen for you, but right now is not the time to mourn for that. Take this time now to set your priorities, research your possibilities, and prepare to be flexible. Better days will come eventually.
I'm sorry this is a hard time for you- it's tough for many. But, it is not a dead end for you- just a bump in the road. You can't change what Disney does, but you still have options. Perhaps you could apply for college beginning next Fall to finish out your degree. Perhaps there are classes you could take online this summer to earn credits or a certificate that would look great on your resume. There are places hiring, despite the Covid19 problems- Walmart, Costco, drug stores, fast food places. Perhaps you could check around. This problem will pass and you will be fine.

Thank you both for your advice, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have worked myself to the bone the last four years to obtain a degree in Animal Science. It has been the most challenging thing I've ever done. Every waking moment I've had off from school I've been working. Whether it's been internships or volunteering, I've done everything I can to get myself ahead. My dream has always been to work as a zookeeper in DAK someday.
For now I will have to find an alternative until I get there. Unfortunately working in a grocery store or drug store is not an option during a pandemic for me as I suffer from chronic health conditions. I just wish I had certainty in my future. That's the hardest part of it all. It's scary to work so hard and finally have things come together to have it all ripped from you in just a few weeks timespan.

Lilofan

Thank you both for your advice, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have worked myself to the bone the last four years to obtain a degree in Animal Science. It has been the most challenging thing I've ever done. Every waking moment I've had off from school I've been working. Whether it's been internships or volunteering, I've done everything I can to get myself ahead. My dream has always been to work as a zookeeper in DAK someday.
For now I will have to find an alternative until I get there. Unfortunately working in a grocery store or drug store is not an option during a pandemic for me as I suffer from chronic health conditions. I just wish I had certainty in my future. That's the hardest part of it all. It's scary to work so hard and finally have things come together to have it all ripped from you in just a few weeks timespan.
Animal science jobs www.indeed.com
There are about 6K job openings but if you are willing to relocate. Get experience then apply at Disney in a few years, just my suggestion.

JoeCamel

Back from my trip. Incredibly weird. Magic band never worked quite right, but the cute little Mickey head scanners never did anything. I've never had to run so many rides myself and prepare my own meals in eateries. Plus, some places only had things like corn meal available when I peeked in the back. Luckily I always travel with eggs, sugar packets, little bottles of vegetable oil, butter, and creamed corn so I was able to approximate my own corn spoon bread. Still, on the whole, I would rate the experience as a little less than magical. I did get to ride Everest 37 times in a row with no waits. Worked out well since I forgot to get fastpasses.
Thanks but I hate to inform you I am reporting your post as being in the wrong category. It is a trip report and should be cataloged as such so that it may be located by all and read for eternity. ;) 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom