Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

pay employees? He's already out of work and being paid...the pay (we assume) is stopping april 18th. Do you mean in general the discussion of furloughs or that disney unions might be discussing further payment beyond the 18th?

*edit* and they already furloughed salary and hourly non union with paid health benefits so I *think* they'd do the same for union? I don't know though
I'll know alot is negotiable with unions, I meant pay while off in general.

Patcheslee

This is getting crazy. Our company has cut salary employees pay 10-25% depending on pay grade (many of them are the ones who are able to work from home). No yearly performance raise or bonus. And the email went out about an hour ago that all plants in Indiana are shutting down April 12th to at least May 3rd. We don't have details on if we will get paid, and unemployment maxes out at 1/5 of my normal paychecks. Now gotta get some sleep before being back at work in less than 7 hours. :eek:

RoyalPrinceLeon

I saw a local bar, serve alcohol outside, and letting groups of 5 or most hang for more than an hour drinking.. I think it little things like this that will cause more damage to local communities.

People need to start thinking about others. If you want a drink fine.. make it yourself. Has anyone seen this in their communities?
They did again today and the cops dont care...

EvilChameleon

The company that Disney uses to tell if the parks are at capacity is based here in the area, and is offering the technology for grocery stores during this social distancing period.

The company also supplies the device to major US. companies, like Disney and Cedar Point.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The following statement has been released from President of the council Matt Hollis (Service Trades Council Union) (WDW)

"Union leaders met throughout the day on Friday with representatives of Disney about the Company’s proposed furlough. We had productive discussions, but a number of issues remain unresolved.

The coronavirus crisis presents workers with a complicated set of challenges, risks and dangers. We need to consider all of the circumstances that Union members face before we reach any agreement with Disney. With so much at stake, we cannot rush into a quick settlement. We will push for the absolute best result for Union members and their families."

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's an update from the Workers United Local 50 (Disneyland)

"Resort closing update April 3, 2020

The last 24 hours have been a whirlwind for everyone. We talked to the other Union leaders about yesterday's announcement to plan together what needs to be done. We received a request from the company to negotiate on the continued effects of COVID 19 and have met virtually with them to begin the negotiation process. While the negotiation process is not completed and will continue over the weekend and the following days, there is good news.

The company proposes to suspend all non-essential union members starting April 19 As part of this permission, the company would continue with all the characteristic benefits (health, dentistry, vision, life insurance and EAP). At this point in the process, the company is willing to pay the amount of the member's contribution while a member is on leave. Ensure much needed medical benefits for all members who trust Disney to get health insurance during this pandemic.

This permission is not a dismissal or termination of members. This will help ensure the jobs and seniority of members. When the park reopen for visitors, the members of Local 50 will be the ones to serve them.

Negotiation is not over and will continue. We have a number of items we want to address. If you have a problem you want us to mention, contact us directly. We will continue to update as the negotiation process continues.

It's lucky that Union-backed Democrats pushed for worker s' economic support in recent $ 2 trillion Coronavirus legislation passed last week. We believe that members will be eligible for state unemployment, including the federal boost to unemployment that was part of the legislation. In addition, to alleviate the difficulties that everyone feels, stimulus checks must start disbursing from April 13 for those who received their income tax returns by direct deposit.

If you are looking for help on how to file an unemployment application or look for information based on the county you live in, check out the COVID 19 resource page of our website at https://www.wulocal50.org/covid19. We update the page daily and, if you are looking for information that is not on the page, contact us directly and we will help you as best we can.

In solidarity,
Workers United Local 50"

imsosarah

Maybe in your neck of the woods? Husband applied there too. There’s millions of applicants
Is he making it to the interview? If yes, it’s his interview. If no, he needs to make sure he is being thorough on the application

I know it sounds simple but you would be shocked and the longer people are out of work the more of an issue these become

imsosarah

Here's an update from the Workers United Local 50 (Disneyland)

"Resort closing update April 3, 2020

The last 24 hours have been a whirlwind for everyone. We talked to the other Union leaders about yesterday's announcement to plan together what needs to be done. We received a request from the company to negotiate on the continued effects of COVID 19 and have met virtually with them to begin the negotiation process. While the negotiation process is not completed and will continue over the weekend and the following days, there is good news.

The company proposes to suspend all non-essential union members starting April 19 As part of this permission, the company would continue with all the characteristic benefits (health, dentistry, vision, life insurance and EAP). At this point in the process, the company is willing to pay the amount of the member's contribution while a member is on leave. Ensure much needed medical benefits for all members who trust Disney to get health insurance during this pandemic.

This permission is not a dismissal or termination of members. This will help ensure the jobs and seniority of members. When the park reopen for visitors, the members of Local 50 will be the ones to serve them.

Negotiation is not over and will continue. We have a number of items we want to address. If you have a problem you want us to mention, contact us directly. We will continue to update as the negotiation process continues.

It's lucky that Union-backed Democrats pushed for worker s' economic support in recent $ 2 trillion Coronavirus legislation passed last week. We believe that members will be eligible for state unemployment, including the federal boost to unemployment that was part of the legislation. In addition, to alleviate the difficulties that everyone feels, stimulus checks must start disbursing from April 13 for those who received their income tax returns by direct deposit.

If you are looking for help on how to file an unemployment application or look for information based on the county you live in, check out the COVID 19 resource page of our website at https://www.wulocal50.org/covid19. We update the page daily and, if you are looking for information that is not on the page, contact us directly and we will help you as best we can.

In solidarity,
Workers United Local 50"
That is awesome the insurance will continue AND they will pay the premium

Yes, would would be eligible for unemployment (after officially done) and the $600/week add on

DCBaker

Premium Member
"San Francisco police have begun issuing citations to violators of the shelter-in-place order requiring non-essential businesses to close and residents to stay home except for the most crucial reasons.

Police Chief Bill Scott said at a noon press conference on Friday that officers had cited one person in the last 24 hours for failing to heed a warning about the order."

“The last time I was in front of you I predicted there would come a time where we have to cite,” Scott told the public. “That time has come, and we have begun citing.”

ImperfectPixie

I know we're all worried about what tomorrow will bring, we're all experiencing something none of us ever have before. It's scary, it's stressful, and it sucks.

We just did "Family Snuggly-Cuddly Movie Night" at our house...1 big couch, 2 boys (9 and 14), mom (me), dad, tons of pillows and blankets, and of course, popcorn, snacks and drinks. We watched Onward and had lots of laughing and snuggles, some tears (okay, maybe really only from me, but our youngest swore he got teary-eyed, too), and lots of love and just enjoying being together.

This is what counts. This is why we're all doing this...not just for my family, or your family...but for EVERYONE'S families - no matter what form those families may be.

The couch could be in this house, it could be in an apartment, it could be in a trailer, or a tee pee (wouldn't be my first time)...the "where" doesn't matter. The TOGETHER matters.

So, here are some virtual hugs from a stranger up in MA.

Hug your loved ones close, don't sweat the small stuff (or the stuff you have no control over - it just makes you suffer through it twice, to quote Newt Scamander). Please, stay at home whenever you can, and be mindful of others when you cannot.

WE CAN DO THIS. ❤

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know we're all worried about what tomorrow will bring, we're all experiencing something none of us ever have before. It's scary, it's stressful, and it sucks.

We just did "Family Snuggly-Cuddly Movie Night" at our house...1 big couch, 2 boys (9 and 14), mom (me), dad, tons of pillows and blankets, and of course, popcorn, snacks and drinks. We watched Onward and had lots of laughing and snuggles, some tears (okay, maybe really only from me, but our youngest swore he got teary-eyed, too), and lots of love and just enjoying being together.

This is what counts. This is why we're all doing this...not just for my family, or your family...but for EVERYONE'S families - no matter what form those families may be.

The couch could be in this house, it could be in an apartment, it could be in a trailer, or a tee pee (wouldn't be my first time)...the "where" doesn't matter. The TOGETHER matters.

So, here are some virtual hugs from a stranger up in MA.

Hug your loved ones close, don't sweat the small stuff (or the stuff you have no control over - it just makes you suffer through it twice, to quote Newt Scamander). Please, stay at home whenever you can, and be mindful of others when you cannot.

WE CAN DO THIS. ❤
We had a similar night, just add in a puppy chewing my hand for half the movie;). Onward was really good. Highly recommend it - for anyone with Disney+ It came out today. :)

ImperfectPixie

We had a similar night, just add in a puppy chewing my hand for half the movie;). Onward was really good. Highly recommend it - for anyone with Disney+ It came out today. :)
I loved it way more than I thought I would! Even hubby (who tends to only sort of half-watch Pixar movies) really enjoyed it and was laughing way more than he expected to. It's really a shame that it didn't get enough time in the theaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom