Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwink

Potentially losing your job as a result is a massive sacrifice. Let's not discount that and the reality some people are looking at knowing they may have some difficulty finding a job in one of the worst job markets of all time, if not the worst.
Yup! That IS a huge sacrifice. Man...my husband has now applied for 13 jobs in the last week and a half...he's not hearing back because they're inundated. I mean...what IS going to happen in 6 months when stuff gets back to a somewhat normal function...he'll maybe have his disney job back? I mean...if Disney stays open and operates as a ride AND entertainment park he'll have a job...

He also works for columbia sportswear... They're 'fine' for now I assume....pretty popular...but just don't know! So what happens to all these awesome employees who DON'T want to sit on their butts but can't make mortgage or car payments for a year ? I am just so fearful!

Disney Analyst

It seems it's going to be a "recommend to wear"... if you can make your own.

Which has all sorts of problems:

1. The ability and resources to make your own (*now* Holly Lobby is *essential*!).​
2. Using them correctly (such that you're not touching your face and failing to sanitize after putting it on or adjusting it)​
3. Washing them correctly if you're going to reuse them (and if you're washing them, you need to use bleach, which deteriorates elastic, so, don't use elastic if you plan to make and reuse).​
4. Social... friction... that comes when people don't wear them (because it's not mandated) and people freaking out when they encounter people not wearing them.​
Masks. <sigh>

Bleach? I am reading warm water and laundry detergent would be enough to clean homemade masks between uses. Can't you just machine wash as needed?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Yup! That IS a huge sacrifice. Man...my husband has now applied for 13 jobs in the last week and a half...he's not hearing back because they're inundated. I mean...what IS going to happen in 6 months when stuff gets back to a somewhat normal function...he'll maybe have his disney job back? I mean...if Disney stays open and operates as a ride AND entertainment park he'll have a job...

He also works for columbia sportswear... They're 'fine' for now I assume....pretty popular...but just don't know! So what happens to all these awesome employees who DON'T want to sit on their butts but can't make mortgage or car payments for a year ? I am just so fearful!

It's not going to get better. Not for a long time. Unless we see some very strong legislation to help the country come out of this. I think I saw for every 15 days the economy is shut down its essentially $1T in lost revenue? So every month is basically $2T? If we didn't have this enormous amount of debt as a country, I'd feel better, but the reality is, we do and that has to be considered. How much are we going to leverage to help us out today and what's the cost going to be long term as a result of those decisions?

It's hard to not think about the worse case scenario because we're much closer to that then the best case scenarios.

DisneyDebRob

It's not going to get better. Not for a long time. Unless we see some very strong legislation to help the country come out of this. I think I saw for every 15 days the economy is shut down its essentially $1T in lost revenue? So every month is basically $2T? If we didn't have this enormous amount of debt as a country, I'd feel better, but the reality is, we do and that has to be considered. How much are we going to leverage to help us out today and what's the cost going to be long term as a result of those decisions?

It's hard to not think about the worse case scenario because we're much closer to that then the best case scenarios.
Worst case scenario is hundreds of thousands dead. When that’s brought up it usually hit with.. why do you guys always go to the worst case scenario? Either we go to the worst or leave it out if both arguments. Can’t have it both ways.
Not saying it’s going to be easy at all. We will get through it. Long road ahead and it may take time but it will work out. This is coming from someone that just had to retire 8 years early about 6 months ago and can no longer do the job I had. Wife got terminated beginning of February before this all happened. I get it. Stay positive, it always works out.

Jwink

But what is the end result? Millions homeless?! That is really scary

Jwink

I suspect we'll see a return to multi-generational homes in a lot of cases. (Personally, I've always felt them to be beneficial in more than just financial ways, as much as I hate the idea of living under the same roof with my mom again.)
I can't. Nope. Not happening. My mom is an abusive narcissist who smokes in her house. I have 2 kids. Not happening.

DisneyDebRob

But you need to compare "potentially hundreds of thousands dead" with "X many thousands dead if you don't destroy the economy" to see if that delta is worth it. It's not about those two numbers it's about the difference between them. Nobody can exactly quantify that number so you can't fairly determine if the economic trade-off is equitable, it's just based on hope.
The economy always, always,always comes back . Throughout history it always comes back. Sure sometimes takes a year, or two or four but it always does. People’s moms and dads, brothers and sisters and daughters and sons don’t.

LittleBuford

Nobody can exactly quantify that number so you can't fairly determine if the economic trade-off is equitable, it's just based on hope.

This goes for your position also. Since we have no way of knowing which course of action would be economically more damaging, you too are simply assuming things. At least we know that the current approach is helping to save lives at the present time.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Worst case scenario is hundreds of thousands dead. When that’s brought up it usually hit with.. why do you guys always go to the worst case scenario? Either we go to the worst or leave it out if both arguments. Can’t have it both ways.
Not saying it’s going to be easy at all. We will get through it. Long road ahead and it may take time but it will work out. This is coming from someone that just had to retire 8 years early about 6 months ago and can no longer do the job I had. Wife got terminated beginning of February before this all happened. I get it. Stay positive, it always works out.

Worst case scenario with COVID-19 is millions upon millions dead. The efforts being put in place today is around 250K and that's the high end of the estimate. Those lives are valuable. No mistake. We as a society may not get through it. 10 million have already filed unemployment benefits. There are stories that many more haven't even been able to file yet. That number is going to continue to climb before it gets better. There is a real question to be asked around this because we might not even end up with 3 million people infected in the US. If 47 million people are unemployed, is that a reasonable sacrifice to save 250K people? 1 million people? 2 million people? It's not an unfair question to ask. If the economy rebounds strongly in the next 12 months, maybe it's a question that's not even asked. If it takes 10 years to recover? It's a fair question to ask because this situation will come up again. It's perfectly okay to question the decisions made and if the price is worth it. I don't want anyone to die, but either way you slice it, people will die know matter what decisions are made.

The assumption is it will work out. There's no guarantee as you've placed it.

But what is the end result? Millions homeless?! That is really scary

Very possible. I'd like to think there will be programs put in place to ensure that doesn't happen and people are made whole, but I'm not holding my breath.

I suspect we'll see a return to multi-generational homes in a lot of cases. (Personally, I've always felt them to be beneficial in more than just financial ways, as much as I hate the idea of living under the same roof with my mom again.)

For those that have that kind of support system in place, very possible. Not everyone does.

It's definitely possible to make people whole during all of this and 'restart' everything in a way that is fair across the board. I just don't know if that will be put in place. The America we've seen has been rather cutthroat and 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' approach. What if you've already done that and are now decimated by a pandemic? Or if you're stuck? Shouldn't you have some expectation that in these scenarios, your fears are resolved in a way that you don't have to sit there, panicking because you don't know what tomorrow brings? We already are doing that because of the risk of catching the virus or a loved one catching the virus. That fear has exploded.

Jwink

This goes for your position also. Since we have no way of knowing which course of action would be economically more damaging, you too are simply assuming things. At least we know that the current approach is helping to save lives at the present time.
economically more damaging is obviously shutting businesses. Most of the people affected are the elderly who are not working any longer. Not saying we should leave them to get sick but your point isn't valid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom