Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlandogal22

It's been a week since broward curfews started and 2 weeks at home. I hope this is doing something.

Are you in Broward? I'm in Seminole County. I haven't left home since I came back from Cedar Key (Levy County) on March 9th. !!!

I work from home already so I've been stuck here.

BF works at Costco so he's been the only one leaving to go to work and / or stopping at Publix, Whole Foods, Walmart, etc. to get essentials I can't acquire online.

I hope this is all working too...

TrainsOfDisney

You have obviously never hiked the Diamond Head trail in the last decade
So as all things YMMV.

I mean I live near, and regularly visit the smoky mountains national park which is the most visited national park in the USA. But sure...

I mean yeah clingmans dome trail there’s always people there, but even then it’s not crowded except at the very top viewing platform.

21stamps

Any federally owned loan (which is > 90% since the credit crisis in 2008) is mandated to be covered. If you have a non-conforming or jumbo loan (over $500K in principle) it’s not required but every bank has individual processes for hardship forbearance during normal times. The banks are not required to give you extra time, but most will and they will work with you on a plan to restructure the loan. It costs a bank much more to foreclose or sell your house in a short sale. They would much rather have you continue to make payments.

I also read that paragraph when googled it. There’s so many conflicting numbers depending on what source. Some say 60%, some 80, some 90.
My mortgages are with BoA, neither one is federally backed. I’ve seen the emails of what’s available.. haven’t looked seriously into any of the options, and hope I don’t have to. I did read enough to know that they aren’t in that 12 month time frame quoted yesterday.

21stamps

Relevant to the current discussion:

Stay in your own locales, people. Relocating to beauty spots shouldn’t be a priority (or even allowed) under the current circumstances.

I think it’s ok to relocate if you’re doing it with the intention to quarantine there, but that’s just my personal opinion.

orlandogal22

I mean I live near, and regularly visit the smoky mountains national park which is the most visited national park in the USA. But sure...

I mean yeah clingmans dome trail there’s always people there, but even then it’s not crowded except at the very top viewing platform.

We regularly hike trails throughout the various Florida State Park system parks and you are usually the only one on a trail. There are some exceptions, of course, as based on park attendance (i.e. more popular parks versus less popular) but generally, they're pretty solitary excursions.

RoyalPrinceLeon

Are you in Broward? I'm in Seminole County. I haven't left home since I came back from Cedar Key (Levy County) on March 9th. !!!

I work from home already so I've been stuck here.

BF works at Costco so he's been the only one leaving to go to work and / or stopping at Publix, Whole Foods, Walmart, etc. to get essentials I can't acquire online.

I hope this is all working too...
I do! I make sushi..

21stamps

This. I can be at Red River Gorge and be on a popular trail to a specific viewing area, passing many people... or we could be hiking for hours in a different area of the park, maybe passing by one other hiking group.

ImperfectPixie

I think it’s ok to relocate if you’re doing it with the intention to quarantine there, but that’s just my personal opinion.
The choice should have been made as soon as schools closed. The further into this we get, any relocation is purposely putting yourself and others at risk. We've got Cape Cod, where the population explodes with summer people every year...I personally hope that if people from New York started showing up today (nothing against New Yorkers, just knowing that NY is a huge hot-spot), that they'd be sent home.

5thGenTexan

If it wasnt rainy, we could get out and not worry about another soul while being outside. :)
1585937050027.png

orlandogal22

I just heard on the radio Disney was suspending annual pass payments and refunding those taken out over the last two (or did he say few?) weeks?

Anyone know anything about this yet?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I also read that paragraph when googled it. There’s so many conflicting numbers depending on what source. Some say 60%, some 80, some 90.
My mortgages are with BoA, neither one is federally backed. I’ve seen the emails of what’s available.. haven’t looked seriously into any of the options, and hope I have to. I did read enough to know that they aren’t in that 12 month time frame quoted yesterday.
Your loan doesn‘t have to be federally backed to qualify. It just has to have been sold to Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. That just means the mortgage originator sells the loan to Fannie/Freddie and then Fannie/Freddie either hold onto it and collect the interest of more likely package it into a mortgage backed security to sell publicly. Most people aren‘t even aware their loans were sold if the servicer doesn‘t change. The +90% is for loans after 2008/2009. Before the credit market crashed there were more options for non-conforming mortgages. Most mortgage originators don’t offer them anymore. Fannie/Freddie won‘t take a mortgage over roughly $500K (higher in some high cost areas) so the vast majority of non-conforming loans are jumbos but that’s a very small percent of the total mortgages out there. Generally speaking also higher wealth people.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This hurts my soul. Let people be in the water. My understanding is that most states are still allowing private ocean access, and personal watercraft.
If there was any time when I would want to spend a morning boating, diving, and surfing, it would be now.
This was a huge problem in Boca Raton...so many people were posting photos and videos of Lake Boca, zooming in on the boaters to shame them on Social media (I hate that).. I understand policing gatherings, but for things like diving, surfing, paddle boarding, boating,fishing with your family or someone you’re co-quarantining with- those shouldn’t be taken away. It’s no different than going for a hike or other currently-allowed land activities.
My governor has been encouraging people to go to parks, hike, fish, bike etc. He is not saying to stay literally confined in your home.
I thought this is what the majority of the states were doing.

The problem is the nature of the outdoors nature.

If you have a park that's dozens of acres with only a few dozen people. No problem. When your governor said to go to the parks, that's probably what he was thinking because a lot of parks are like that.

But with almost everyone not working, then that park can be flooded by hundreds if not thousands of people. Social distancing just cannot take place in that situation. That's when local officials shut it down despite the governor's suggestion to go to parks for fresh air.

The same with beaches. They're pretty much design to densely pack people.

The same with aquatic recreation. You may think you're isolated on a boat... until people throw boat parties, or they pull up next to one another and pour a cup of wine and toast. Or they pull up to a restaurants dock where there are other people. On top of that, all those people in the water (whether swimming or in a craft) will eventually require one or more of them being saved by life guards or the coast guard... and that's just more contact with people. There is nothing about aquatic recreation that is *essential*, just like sports venues and gyms are closed, so are waterfronts that attract crowds.

Arguments that start with "surely, they must allow X..." are cut down with a simple counter-question: "Is X *essential*?"

It's time for sacrificing personal luxuries if they cannot be done without drawing people together for a possible virus transmission.

Most states with lockdown orders aren't even letting people congregate even though there may only be five of them and they're all keeping 6 feet apart. "Stay at home" means "stay at home." And "no group gatherings" means "no group gatherings."

With the exception of that which is essential for life and safety.

But if you have your own dock then will they stop you if out on your boat?

Depending the state orders, they'll stop you if you're joy riding in your car. Getting in your own boat is no different. Unless perhaps you own the whole lake.

"Stay at home" means "stay at home."

The allowance of local walking presumes being mostly apart from other. When it's seen that that can't actually happen, you're confined to home.

Last edited:

21stamps

The choice should have been made as soon as schools closed. The further into this we get, any relocation is purposely putting yourself and others at risk. We've got Cape Cod, where the population explodes with summer people every year...I personally hope that if people from New York started showing up today (nothing against New Yorkers, just knowing that NY is a huge hot-spot), that they'd be sent home.

If you own a vacation home in a place like Michigan, or on the shore, or in the mountains, or any other place.. there shouldn’t be an issue with going there, as long as you are staying to yourself and not coming from a hotspot.
I have friends who did go to Michigan about a week after the schools closed... another family who went out west... I think they were smart. I’m done with my 2 week work mandated quarantine this weekend, so I’ll be back in the office on Monday.. or else I’d be gone too.

Disney Analyst

I’m trying to figure out what this convo was about.. lol.. especially if it was all based on something that’s not even happening.

(Forgot to quote this one) Imo that’s completely unrealistic and begging for people to break the rules. Fresh air is mandatory, not everyone lives in suburbia... adults and children need exercise and need to be outside.

Just to clarify my point, based on how things have played out up here:

Not all trails are closed, most are open. The popular ones that people flock to have had to close down due to people not practicing physical distancing, or being able to practice it.

The issue I find is the more other people see other's out and about, the more they want to go out... and then other area's become crowded. Like the Vancouver Seawall, which I am certain will end up closing eventually, or playgrounds, which are now all closed etc.

My point is, go for a walk around your block, find a quiet outdoor area, but people really need to try and stay home as much as they are able, which will help discourage others from going out. It's a bit of a monkey see monkey do situation, and if we all just hunkered down for a bit this could hopefully go faster. BC is already seeing our curve severely flatten compared to Ontario and Quebec, although our testing is not entirely wide spread... so lots of cases unreported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom