Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For fear of going down a rabbit hole with some, it's not that cut and dry to say "it's just work" or that people with good intentions are simply "selfish."

Some people are dealt a hard hand in life financially (including myself at the moment) and going to work (possibly with symptoms they don't yet associate with any one particular virus-that-shall-not-be-named) when staying home can mean whether or not a bill gets paid, a rent gets paid, health insurance gets paid, or food goes on the table.

I'm not speaking to this particular OP's mom's boss, but to the many out there who do not get PTO, do not have vacation days to use, do not get paid for calling out, etc.

It's a rough world out there.

(and before anyone comments re: any perceived desire to infect co-workers when ill, I work from home and have done so for the last 12 years ;) BUT I've gotten plenty of colds and other lovely things from co-workers in the past)
I’m not disputing that instinct at all...which is why I am blaming a “system” that punishes people valuing their paycheck/job status over their health and those around them - which is healthy production of the employer as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And what do you think those risk management companies are telling them?
...it ain’t good.

And an operation with the liabilities of a Disney...for instance...farms out some of that “self insured” concept with the heavy hitters of the insurance industry as a backstop also. AIG, Chubb, Zurich, etc.

Pepper's Ghost

One particular major US news source's "talking heads" spent the first two months of the outbreak insisting that it was a hoax or blown way out of proportion. Many viewers of that network believed them, or at least failed to recognize the severity of the situation due to the incorrect information being provided to them and their bias against other news services that were reporting more accurately. They're taking it more seriously now, though even still they're going with a narrative that the economic damage from stay-at-home orders vastly outweighs the impact of the hundreds of thousands or even millions of deaths we'd have without social distancing remaining in place.

All fair comments which I completely agree with. With that said let's toe the proper side of the line regarding political discussion. ;) I'm not saying you didn't, but moderators might interpret differently. It's like using the phrase "$hit" instead of the actual word. We all know what you mean. lol 🤣

Jlasoon

Political Discussion is not allowed outside of the correct forum
Well, 10M out of work in the last 2 weeks - Car sales fell off a cliff in March - Boeing looking at 'voluntary buyouts' for 160,000 employees, 60% of all planes around the world are grounded, cruise ships grounded, stay at home orders everywhere, local businesses decimated.

I hope it was worth it Dr. Fauci - Remember, those same people who are now unemployed or find themselves with reduced work hours & reduced pay are the same people we need for a bounce back. Ugly!

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Stop & Shop today announced that, starting immediately, it will be donating 5,000 free fresh meals every day for healthcare first responders in some of the areas hardest hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. Stop & Shop is covering all costs and food donations, which include sandwiches, salads, and pre-packaged entrees. The donations also include energy and nutrition bars for when healthcare workers don’t have time for a meal as they work around the clock to care for COVID-19 patients."

The meals will be provided every day to: Mount Sinai Hospital in East Harlem and Mount Sinai South Nassau hospital in Oceanside, NY, Long Island Community Hospital in Suffolk County, NY, Pascack Valley Medical Center in Westwood, NJ, Boston Medical Center and Boston Children’s Hospital.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a citizen of the U.K. I have to say that all the Americans I have met personally have been delightful and charming, and are one of the main attractions in returning to Florida and WDW as frequently as money will allow. However the claim that the USA has helped out more than any other country on the the planet is, in my opinion, somewhat exaggerated and patronising. The U.K. have stood with you when others chose not to and there are occasions that the special relationship has not been reciprocated, on both sides. Yes the USA is a great country but so are many others............ I am not denying that the USA have helped but so have many other countries ....even when the USA did not. I realise that this may be too provocative and political for this forum. However it is intended to remind us that this is a WORLD pandemic and if we are to see the earliest possible return to a near normality and the longed for opening of WDW we need to work together and not points score across the continents. Stay home, stay safe and be kind to each other!
Well put.

I think the two most obvious flaws in the US currently are:
1. The lack of a desire for widespread education - notably history - prevents us from evaluating/accepting our place in the world including our strengths and limitations.
2. American “exceptionalism” has been weaponized. My entire life I have watch dismissal of societies that taught us much of what the principles we value as “our own”...and we dismiss those countries we are inevitably tied too. The most aggravating is France...which the US is forever tied to...but also the UK. We aren’t who we are without a respect for each other.

Ok...back to park ops 😉

orlandogal22

I’m not disputing that instinct at all...which is why I am blaming a “system” that punishes people valuing their paycheck/job status over their health and those around them - which is healthy production of the employer as well.

True, but we're a long way from that perfect workplace environment - across every industry and in every part of the world.

In the meantime, I would shy away from branding innocent people stuck in that "system" as being "selfish." ;)

Lilofan

Well, 10M out of work in the last 2 weeks - Car sales fell off a cliff in March - Boeing looking at 'voluntary buyouts' for 160,000 employees, 60% of all planes around the world are grounded, cruise ships grounded, stay at home orders everywhere, local businesses decimated.

I hope it was worth it Dr. Fauci - Remember, those same people who are now unemployed or find themselves with reduced work hours & reduced pay are the same people we need for a bounce back. Ugly!
If more thought like you, we'd all be in worse shape beyond belief death count wise.

Piebald

I don’t know how you paid for your wedding. If you used a credit card you can dispute the charges for services not rendered. I always use a credit card for more expensive and important purchases. Hope this helps.
Unfortunately not a CC.
That oppressive Florida heat in August would make my blood boil over 100 degrees.
August?

Other than the "cool front" at the moment its been mid to high 90s lately and next week it looks like it goes back to being offensively and unseasonably hot

orlandogal22

FYI - If anyone has Cigna health insurance -

COVID-19 Care and Coverage
Am I covered if my family or I get COVID-19?
Yes. Your plan will cover diagnosis, testing, and treatment associated with COVID-19 including:

• COVID-19 diagnostic visits: Cigna is waiving out-of-pocket costs for COVID-19 visits with in-network providers, whether at a provider’s office, urgent care center, emergency room, or via virtual care, through May 31, 2020.
  • COVID-19 testing: Cigna is waiving out-of-pocket costs for COVID-19 FDA-approved testing. Only a health care provider or hospital can administer the test and send the sample to an approved lab for results.
  • COVID-19 treatment: Cigna is waiving out-of-pocket costs for all COVID-19 treatment through May 31, 2020. The treatments that Cigna will cover for COVID-19 are those covered under Medicare or other applicable state regulations. The company will reimburse health care providers at Cigna's in-network rates or Medicare rates, as applicable.*

Ravenclaw78

All fair comments which I completely agree with. With that said let's toe the proper side of the line regarding political discussion. ;) I'm not saying you didn't, but moderators might interpret differently. It's like using the phrase "$hit" instead of the actual word. We all know what you mean. lol 🤣
I was as careful as I could be to avoid discussing potential ideological reasons that station chose the positions they took, and their actual newsroom has handled the crisis better than the opinion side of the house. Facts don't have an inherent political bias, and I think criticizing news sources on either side of the spectrum for failing to accurately report the facts about the pandemic should not be seen as a political commentary.

John park hopper

Unfortunately not a CC.

August?

Other than the "cool front" at the moment its been mid to high 90s lately and next week it looks like it goes back to being offensively and unseasonably hot
We keep hearing hopes the virus will abate when temps increase in summer. The fact that cover-19 is still on the rise in FL with 90 degree temps seems to negate the summer decrease hypothesis. I hope to god I am looking at this wrong .

21stamps

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Is Hobby Lobby an essential retailer? Some forced to close because of COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders

This guy just doesn’t get it. Now he’s claiming he’s “essential “ because he got in a few masks and educational materials. Glad they are taking strong action against him.

I know a lot of my mom-friends we’re buying fabric from Hobby Lobby to make masks for medical personnel and first responders. I can’t even sew a button, so I didn’t join it.. but it’s nice that people were able to do that.

That said, DeWine has publicly criticized Hobby Lobby for remaining open.

JohnD

I know a lot of my mom-friends we’re buying fabric from Hobby Lobby to make masks for medical personnel and first responders. I can’t even sew a button, so I didn’t join it.. but it’s nice that people were able to do that.

That said, DeWine has publicly criticized Hobby Lobby for remaining open.

My answer is "yes". People are stuck at home. When else are they going to get around to doing various projects around the house. Hobby Lobby has what they need.

jmp85

We keep hearing hopes the virus will abate when temps increase in summer. The fact that cover-19 is still on the rise in FL with 90 degree temps seems to negate the summer decrease hypothesis. I hope to god I am looking at this wrong .

From what I've gathered, they don't believe it will stop it altogether, but rather it would slow the rate of "community spread." However, there are other experts who believe the impact will be negligible. Another instance where we just don't have the data to confirm one way or the other. Living in Florida, I hope it slows the spread though!

orlandogal22

Unfortunately not a CC.

August?

I respectfully disagree it's been "high 90s lately"... (denoting 95-98 on the regular)

Indeed, it was a high of 93 Saturday here in Orlando, but we're looking at mid to high 80s over the next few weeks with maybe a low 90 thrown in here or there. Pretty much what we're used to in April nowadays. :)

It might FEEL like "high 90s" but it wasn't.... YET ;)

BTW, it's currently a pleasant 74 right now where I'm at in Seminole County.

MickeyLuv'r

I recently watched a few documentaries on prior pandemics/disease outbreaks, and they were stunning on several fronts.

1. Hubris. Just as people thought the Titanic couldn't possibly sink, the documentaries all suggested we were past the age of pandemics. Several of them borderline mocked people for wearing masks during earlier pandemics.

2. A significant factor in spreading prior pandemics was people who resisted taking precautions: they falsely thought the virus couldn't travel to their area.

Sound familiar?

3. In 1918, a significant factor was the press. The US press was in the age of so-called yellow journalism. Yellow journalism emphasized eye-popping headlines over facts, and used politically motivated, profit driven hyperbole. Some believed the hyperbole, others stopped paying attention and dismissed all news. The two big players were Hearst and Pulitzer. (paraphrased definition from multiple sources)

Sound familiar?

I hope some good can come out of this event. I don't agree that every post in this thread was level-headed and reasonable. Personally, I skipped many days of the bickering, and only skimmed it other days. Ordinarily, I would have just rolled my eyes at this thread and ignored all the back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom