Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I think middle of the pack is pretty good for Ohio. Number 7 in population, six big population centers (Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton, Cincy, Toledo and Akron). Here in Indiana we have more confirmed deaths than you guys at the moment and we have half the population (estimate from brain). The lower positive percentage implies wider testing and hopefully getting a higher fraction of people that need to be quarantined. Anyway, I hope none of the population centers have a runaway situation in the next few weeks. I feel like we're kind of on the edge of things running away in Indianapolis.
Plus, don't forget, Ohio had CV-19 Poster Boy*...
1585839763149.png

* ETA: Who has since repented, publicly apologized for his statements, and really hopes a future employer will forgive and forget his notoriety.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

"Amazon plans to roll out temperature checks and face masks for staff at all its U.S. and European warehouses plus Whole Foods stores by early next week, a huge deployment for workers on the front lines of the coronavirus outbreak."

Better late the never I guess.

DisneyDebRob

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Is Hobby Lobby an essential retailer? Some forced to close because of COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders

This guy just doesn’t get it. Now he’s claiming he’s “essential “ because he got in a few masks and educational materials. Glad they are taking strong action against him.

Pepper's Ghost

This really gets me PO Please remind your non American friends that we Americans have helped more people in times of crisis than any other country on this planet. Sure we have made mistakes but overall we have done more good

This is very true, John. I know several people overseas as well, and this is not an isolated opinion. With that said, the U.S. represents both the very best, and the very worst that this world has to offer. We have so many of the greatest and most generous people, and some of the most selfish and the worst folks too. We're a country of huge extremes in every way these days.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Is Hobby Lobby an essential retailer? Some forced to close because of COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders

This guy just doesn’t get it. Now he’s claiming he’s “essential “ because he got in a few masks and educational materials. Glad they are taking strong action against him.

The issue is the 'essential' guidelines are so different from state to state and are vague in some cases. Should've set up a system where every business is closed, companies apply for an exemption, and if granted, they can re-open. Some of them would be east to figure out really fast (grocery stores, etc.) while others would've been shut down fast (movie theaters). This then would make sure everyone is clear, closed unless they've received an exemption order.

Rimmit

Has anyone gone back and started reading this thread from the original post? It's kinda stunning to read the conviction with which some folks posted that this was not going to be a big deal.

I think I started following this thread around 90 pages in or so. I must say this thread has been incredibly informative and enjoyable. It has (with minor moderation) managed to stay very civilized while at the same time having some excellent moral and ethical debates. Of all threads I follow this is probably my favorite as it has quite a broad demographic (albeit Disney focused) and despite opposing opinions on many topics people typically have not resorted to petty name calling and other more amateur antics.

At the end of the day I truly believe everyone on here wants to do what is best for society. Ultimately how we get there is the big question, and unfortunately, we have very limited data on the best course of action in our current times.

rowrbazzle

My mom's boss came into work with a fever, chills, and cough. Spent the whole day there because there was a lot of work to get done. Tested for covid: positive. Selfish and idiotic.

My father has copd, bad. On continuous oxygen, inhalers, etc. This type of selfish behavior is what gets people killed.

I don't think we can just say people who work while sick are being selfish. It's not like it's fun to work when you feel awful. If they were being selfish they'd stop working. Working while sick seems more like a behavior one does to help the company or customers. Or it's something you do if you don't have good benefits or fear for your job if you do call in sick. You said it yourself: "there was a lot of work to get done."

John park hopper

Hopefully all governments around the world will learn a valuable lesson from this when it is over. We are just in the early learning curve on this one. Data are limited much of it is conflicting. I can see why it may seem our response has been off the cuff, ad-lib, try this--- try that. We just don't know enough about this virus at this stage

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
First...this is a fantastic, respectful discussion. It’s why coming to a discussion board is worth it. Well done, everyone. No “stampy” stupidity.

However, that still doesn't jibe with direct knowledge I have of one South Florida hospital. They treat suspected cases as if they are positive (for PPE requirements and isolation) until they are confirmed or not by test. These are people sick enough to need to be admitted to the hospital yet the percentage that end up positive for COVID-19 is very low. Far lower than NY's overall positive rate.

I think it wise to believe New York and not take solace in reports from less populated areas right now. Stay vigilant.

New York is really working it’s tail off. Which is exactly what I expected. Those people are fighters...you can never scoff at them.

I’ll give an anecdote that shows how much information isn’t known: a friend is a surgeon who’s hospital had 10 confirmed cases a few days ago...but 40 of “undefined pneumonia” with more severity due to lack of testing/bad state protocols for testing. I won’t say where...but it rhymes with “Smennsylvania”
An economic perspective on how the situation is playing out with Six Flags / regional parks:

I thought they were done. They struggled for years and no matter how they try to adapt its been met with mostly failure.
Has anyone gone back and started reading this thread from the original post? It's kinda stunning to read the conviction with which some folks posted that this was not going to be a big deal. Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but just a thought... when discussing matters of health or life/death, we should probably avoid giving advice or making an argument on a topic we know nothing about. Just sayin' because people are literally dying due to either themselves, or others being too casual with the dangers of this situation.

Btw, I'm not attacking anyone. I understand that we've never seen anything like this, but some of the early posts surprised me since this is the first time I've clicked on this thread.

I said that the dismissals were 100% Disney fandom driven at heart - here. The public issues were mostly just stupidity and a lack of discipline/respect for intelligence....

But I can’t really fault people on the board who wanted to maintain some hope...even if it was to use travel as a symbol of fear and the desire for normalcy. Most have fallen in line. The real fools - most of them - have fallen silent.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think we can just say people who work while sick are being selfish. It's not like it's fun to work when you feel awful. If they were being selfish they'd stop working. Working while sick seems more like a behavior one does to help the company or customers. Or it's something you do if you don't have good benefits or fear for your job if you do call in sick. You said it yourself: "there was a lot of work to get done."
No...they’re selfish. People who work when they’re sick in a shared environment are frankly always selfish and that’s under normal conditions.

I get the counterarguments...but it’s just work. The problem I concede is with our employment market and health care system...not really the individual.

Weather_Lady

Has anyone gone back and started reading this thread from the original post? It's kinda stunning to read the conviction with which some folks posted that this was not going to be a big deal. Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but just a thought... when discussing matters of health or life/death, we should probably avoid giving advice or making an argument on a topic we know nothing about. Just sayin' because people are literally dying due to either themselves, or others being too casual with the dangers of this situation.

Btw, I'm not attacking anyone. I understand that we've never seen anything like this, but some of the early posts surprised me since this is the first time I've clicked on this thread.

Agreed! As you imply, there's no reason now to issue I-told-you-sos to those who may have been slow to process the facts, or who actively chose to rebrand-and-dismiss all expressions of caution as "panic," although it was dismaying to see some of those arguments devolve into ad hominem attacks. At that time, there were a number of influencers on the national stage who were actively promoting those views to their followers, and accepting difficult truths is not easy for any of us.

Happily, I think this thread's progression to a more optimistic, "this is tough stuff, but we're all in this together" attitude represents a shift and a growing unity in our national collective consciousness around COVID-19. As disheartening as the situation is, everywhere I look I see "the helpers" that Fred Rogers so famously talked about, and am encouraged.

orlandogal22

No...they’re selfish. People who work when they’re sick in a shared environment are frankly always selfish and that’s under normal conditions.

I get the counterarguments...but it’s just work. The problem I concede is with our employment market and health care system...not really the individual.

For fear of going down a rabbit hole with some, it's not that cut and dry to say "it's just work" or that people with good intentions are simply "selfish."

Some people are dealt a hard hand in life financially (including myself at the moment) and going to work (possibly with symptoms they don't yet associate with any one particular virus-that-shall-not-be-named) when staying home can mean whether or not a bill gets paid, a rent gets paid, health insurance gets paid, or food goes on the table.

I'm not speaking to this particular OP's mom's boss, but to the many out there who do not get PTO, do not have vacation days to use, do not get paid for calling out, etc.

It's a rough world out there.

(and before anyone comments re: any perceived desire to infect co-workers when ill, I work from home and have done so for the last 12 years ;) BUT I've gotten plenty of colds and other lovely things from co-workers in the past)

Last edited:

Touchdown

Temperature checks I personally think are pointless, here’s why:

1. I know when I have a fever, and I strongly suspect everyone else does too. If I had a fever I would quarantine and moral human beings would as well. The ones who wouldn’t are [another word for donkey] holes. Therefore the only people who would get stopped by these fever screens are these donkey holes.

2. If I was a donkey hole and wanted to go outside with a fever, I would start taking Tylenol to mask my symptoms, thus evading said screen.

Therefore these screens will only block a very small part of the population and what are the risks?

-Simone needs to man these devices putting themselves in harms way and using PPE

-You are having everyone have a device dragged over their face (best case scenario) or stuck in their mouth, both of which are great vectors yo spread the virus.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed! As you imply, there's no reason now to issue I-told-you-sos to those who may have been slow to process the facts, or who actively chose to rebrand-and-dismiss all expressions of caution as "panic," although it was dismaying to see some of those arguments devolve into ad hominem attacks. At that time, there were a number of influencers on the national stage who were actively promoting those views to their followers.

Happily, I think this thread's progression to a more optimistic, "this is tough stuff, but we're all in this together" attitude represents a shift and a growing unity in our national collective consciousness around COVID-19. As disheartening as the situation is, everywhere I look I see "the helpers" that Fred Rogers so famously talked about, and am encouraged.
It’s pointless...

But I don’t lump “deniers” in with “hoaxers”....

Not the same birds with the same feathers.

Hoaxers are a deeper, more dangerous societal problem in the US. No one gets to right their own facts.

Indiana Jones has a line about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom