Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

It's not making sense to me because I know for a fact at one hospital that even amongst patients sick enough to be hospitalized with symptoms common to covid-19 the percentage that have it vs. something else is low.
I also wanted to mention that in NY being hospitalized means something different than it does under normal circumstances. They are triaging patients by leaving people at home with pulse ox monitors where in other parts of the country those people would be taken to the hospital. They are possibly (likely) weeding out the patients who have the other thing that must be running around because they aren’t sick enough.

Something to watch would be, as metro areas reach capacity does their positive rate increase. So not only are we testing for COVID but it’s a rough and dirty indicator of how overwhelmed an area is. But NYC is so densely populated, I’m not sure how many places can ever attempt to replicate it.

Virtual Toad

First, let me say that I'm frankly scared to write anything at all on the forum today given the warnings I received yesterday, warnings which I felt were a bit harsh given the content of my posts but which nevertheless have been taken to heart. I know it's not always easy to maintain order around here and I apologize again for offending anyone as it was definitely not my intention. I've been a member of these boards for almost 18 years and I've treasured each and every opportunity to engage in civil discussions with folks I've never met in person, but who I genuinely consider as friends and kindred spirits.

With that being said, the following post is not intended in any way to be political nor should it be construed as such. As we are talking about WDW as a tourist destination, and as its presence in Florida makes what happens in Florida relevant to the ongoing closure of WDW due to Coronavirus, I am posting the following information for context. Politics has absolutely nothing to do with what I am about to post. End of disclaimer.

Local news is reporting this morning that an employee at our neighborhood grocery store-- the store I mentioned here with concern a couple of weeks ago, the one frequented by all the spring breakers/beachgoers from the news clip that prompted national outrage-- has now tested positive for COVID-19. This is the store our family buys food from. The employees that work there are part of our local community. They are our friends, neighbors and family members. We do not know who the employee is, but there is a good chance we know them well.

Given the high percentage of out-of-town shoppers the store serves, given its prime location on the main road to and from the beach, it's easy to wonder whether the employee contracted it from a tourist, or possibly unknowingly spread it to tourists who then traveled back to their home towns all over the country.

Today's news is a snapshot reflecting on where things stood two weeks ago.

To stay on topic-- Walt Disney World recognized the gathering storm early on and acted accordingly. It was a drastic and bold measure but one that no doubt protected guests and CMs. WDW did what it could-- at devastating expense-- to save lives.

Every step taken, every tough decision made-- ultimately makes a difference. Every day matters. We are all in this together.

Continue to stay well everyone.

Kevin_W

In Indiana we’re at 17.8%. I’ve been under this vague impression that Ohio has done a really good job of managing this. Lower fraction of positives is good from every perspective.

Ohio was on the of the first states to start cancelling schools, issuing stay-at-homeorders, etc. and they have certainly patted themselves on the back about that. But Ohio is still middle of the pack in the US on cases-per-million residents (and deaths-per million), and I'm not sure why they would have a lower % positive test, except perhaps indicating wider testing (or more other cases of non-Covid respiratory disease in the state).

techgeek

An economic perspective on how the situation is playing out with Six Flags / regional parks:

Six Flags now has a market capitalization under $1 billion. To put that value into perspective, if you were to build 1,000 million-dollar homes on the land now occupied by Six Flags Magic Mountain, that residential development would be worth more than the entire Six Flags chain right now.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"A college senior from Versailles put her stir-craziness to good use with a project that will help the deaf and hard of hearing community."

"I just saw that people were making masks on Facebook for everyone to have instead of the throwaway masks, and I was like, what about the deaf and hard of hearing population?" explained 21-year-old Ashley Lawrence."

Josh Hendy

Ohio was on the of the first states to start cancelling schools, issuing stay-at-homeorders, etc. and they have certainly patted themselves on the back about that. But Ohio is still middle of the pack in the US on cases-per-million residents (and deaths-per million), and I'm not sure why they would have a lower % positive test, except perhaps indicating wider testing (or more other cases of non-Covid respiratory disease in the state).
In this pandemic, meaningful statistics are almost impossible to gather. Comparisons mean almost nothing. No two jurisdictions have the same criteria for testing, or do the same number of tests, or have the same types of test kits. Random sampling of the public is useless because there are known and unknown hotspots, and other areas where the disease isn't present. A hotspot could be an entire city or it could be the members of a single church and their friends and family. Or a sports team or a bunch of spring breakers who coincidentally shopped at the same grocery store in FL.

All you can do is take the precautions seriously and pray that your local health care facilities are up to the job. What you hear about Ohio, NYC or Sweden is no guide to what might happen ... except that carelessness is likely to be punished.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Amazon plans to roll out temperature checks and face masks for staff at all its U.S. and European warehouses plus Whole Foods stores by early next week, a huge deployment for workers on the front lines of the coronavirus outbreak."

John park hopper

This virus seems to affect everyone differently and has medical staff dumfounded. 104 year old WW II veteran recovers from cover-19 yet a newborn 7 weeks old dies. People in the same family react differently. It seems like it is a crap shoot how you will react, I'm not a gambler so I will follow the stay at home guideline and start wearing a mask if we have to get groceries.

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

Has anyone gone back and started reading this thread from the original post? It's kinda stunning to read the conviction with which some folks posted that this was not going to be a big deal. Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but just a thought... when discussing matters of health or life/death, we should probably avoid giving advice or making an argument on a topic we know nothing about. Just sayin' because people are literally dying due to either themselves, or others being too casual with the dangers of this situation.

Btw, I'm not attacking anyone. I understand that we've never seen anything like this, but some of the early posts surprised me since this is the first time I've clicked on this thread.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

I think middle of the pack is pretty good for Ohio. Number 7 in population, six big population centers (Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton, Cincy, Toledo and Akron). Here in Indiana we have more confirmed deaths than you guys at the moment and we have half the population (estimate from brain). The lower positive percentage implies wider testing and hopefully getting a higher fraction of people that need to be quarantined. Anyway, I hope none of the population centers have a runaway situation in the next few weeks. I feel like we're kind of on the edge of things running away in Indianapolis.

Has anyone gone back and started reading this thread from the original post? It's kinda stunning to read the conviction with which some folks posted that this was not going to be a big deal. Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but just a thought... when discussing matters of health or life/death, we should probably avoid giving advice or making an argument on a topic we know nothing about. Just sayin' because people are literally dying due to either themselves, or others being too casual with the dangers of this situation.

Btw, I'm not attacking anyone. I understand that we've never seen anything like this, but some of the early posts surprised me since this is the first time I've clicked on this thread.
The minute stories out of China back in January about them quarantining hundreds of millions of their citizens for "just the flu" should have alerted people that something bigger was going on. Too many people pulled the wool over their eyes though and tried to pretend it was nothing. China wouldn't lock down major provinces and cities for just a simple cough and sniffles.

John park hopper

I must admit I was one who did not think this was going to get as bad as it has, having said that from the beginning I tried to practice safe health practices-- better to be safe than sorry. Unfortunately too many totally brushed this off and took no precautions and contributed to its spread

flynnibus

Premium Member
The minute stories out of China back in January about them quarantining hundreds of millions of their citizens for "just the flu" should have alerted people that something bigger was going on. Too many people pulled the wool over their eyes though and tried to pretend it was nothing. China wouldn't lock down major provinces and cities for just a simple cough and sniffles.

Its simple isolationism... "over there..." -- People did the same thing with WWI and II. "its over there.. not here..." People think something far away has no impact on them. Unfortunately the more intertwined our world has become.. with the insane dynamic people movement... that kind of isolationism doesn't really exist anymore when talking to the major powers of the world.

Josh Hendy

Has anyone gone back and started reading this thread from the original post? It's kinda stunning to read the conviction with which some folks posted that this was not going to be a big deal.
There were lots of wacky posts but on the bright side, this forum is a shining example of reasoned debate compared to the shinola that has been going on among the wider public and in the world of politics and media.

The great thing about forums like this is that for every unreasonable or uninformed post, there are about 5 reasoned responses and/or corrections.

DisneyDoctor

I got in many arguments about a month ago about the severity of the outbreak. I had classmates claiming it wasn't a big deal. My wife had coworkers (nurses!) telling patients it wasn't a big deal. They were wrong and I hate to think what could've been avoided if people weren't so damn stubborn.

Lilofan

I got in many arguments about a month ago about the severity of the outbreak. I had classmates claiming it wasn't a big deal. My wife had coworkers (nurses!) telling patients it wasn't a big deal. They were wrong and I hate to think what could've been avoided if people weren't so damn stubborn.
Arrogant, self centered? That's what some of my non American friends living overseas describes the USA.

Pepper's Ghost

I must admit I was one who did not think this was going to get as bad as it has, having said that from the beginning I tried to practice safe health practices-- better to be safe than sorry. Unfortunately too many totally brushed this off and took no precautions and contributed to its spread

You're a better man than most. I sincerely wasn't judging anyone, but it's unbelievable what's been going on. I've been really cautious since before the first death was reported. Like @bootywarrior said I could sense something was really bad about this.

A lot of people I know personally thought I was being an alarmist because I was asking everyone to stay careful, safe, and healthy. They thought I was a hypochondriac. I'm not. I just sensed something bad. No, I'm not a psychic. Not in the least. I just pay attention to signs when I see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom