Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
You make a good point on International. Whenever WDW opens, there could still be International travel constraints issued by the U.S as well as whatever restrictions are still in effect in the other countries. It wouldn't mean that everyone could come back immediately.

International travel is going to be interesting for sure. I'm intrigued to see when travel bans start being lifted though you have the reality they may come back over the next year. So you take a risk with even scheduling anything for 12-18 months because the travel ban could be enacted the day before you leave or while you're on your vacation and thus potentially losing everything you've spent money on (you're going to be hard pressed to recoup your money if your travel ends early).

It's going to make people think twice. On top of that, wages will be down across the board due to unemployment and recession.

Yikes.

I wonder how much the 50th anniversary could temper that for people next year.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wimbledon cancelled for the first time since WWII.

:(
Uefa have officially cancelled Champions and Europa leagues too. If you follow that kind of stuff. I’m still waiting for the Six Nations to finish.
You make a good point on International. Whenever WDW opens, there could still be International travel constraints issued by the U.S as well as whatever restrictions are still in effect in the other countries. It wouldn't mean that everyone could come back immediately.
It also depends on if international visitors can get there. As you know many airlines are running a skeleton service at best. A lot are not running at all. Many are not expected to survive. One little example, my local airport is the third busiest in the UK. It had 3 airlines that ran orlando flights several times a day. Thomas Cook was one of them.

As of today, not only has the airport closed one runway due to lack of flights, it is now only open between 5am and 3pm. With two of three terminals mothballed. The effect on international travel will be devastating for both airports and airlines. Not to belittle the bigger picture.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Uefa have officially cancelled Champions and Europa leagues too. If you follow that kind of stuff. I’m still waiting for the Six Nations to finish.

It also depends on if international visitors can get there. As you know many airlines are running a skeleton service at best. A lot are not running at all. Many are not expected to survive. One little example, my local airport is the third busiest in the UK. It had 3 airlines that ran orlando flights several times a day. Thomas Cook was one of them.

As of today, not only has the airport closed one runway due to lack of flights, it is now only open between 5am and 3pm. With two of three terminals mothballed. The effect on international travel will be devastating for both airports and airlines. Not to belittle the bigger picture.

I think UEFA only suspended it? I think they believe they can still do the Champions League finals in August. We'll see though. We're about to experience a year with no sports at this rate. Hope everyone enjoys rock skipping.

I mean, I think international travel is part of the bigger picture. With this move towards globalism, you could see markets that companies previously had access to without that access moving forward, which creates interesting wrinkles. If this recession continues to drive us further and further down, how will some of these smaller markets survive (are you in Manchester?)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think UEFA only suspended it? I think they believe they can still do the Champions League finals in August. We'll see though. We're about to experience a year with no sports at this rate. Hope everyone enjoys rock skipping.

I mean, I think international travel is part of the bigger picture. With this move towards globalism, you could see markets that companies previously had access to without that access moving forward, which creates interesting wrinkles. If this recession continues to drive us further and further down, how will some of these smaller markets survive (are you in Manchester?)
Shows how much I care about football! Although being suspended in this context would point to sometime next year. I’m still waiting for the suspended / postponed F1 season to start. When and if who knows.

Yep, Manchester. I think all bets are off at the moment on what things will look like on the other side, whenever that may be.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Shows how much I care about football! Although being suspended in this context would point to sometime next year. I’m still waiting for the suspended / postponed F1 season to start. When and if who knows.

Yep, Manchester. I think all bets are off at the moment on what things will look like on the other side, whenever that may be.

Ha! Our household loves football/soccer so those things tend to stick out to us. F1 as well. I hope they can start up soon, but it doesn't look hopeful at this rate.

esskay

F1's now looking at extending the season through the winter break to January so assuming theres enough of a handle on this thing come August they can do almost a full season. Next year they've agreed to use the same cars and pushed the 2021 regs back a year so this means they don't need the long winter break anymore, a month or two off will be enough.

---

In terms of the flag vid posted above, looks like the castle painting carried on a bit longer past closing day!

Disney Analyst

British Airways will suspend all flights to and from London's Gatwick airport amid a collapse in demand due to the coronavirus.

Gatwick is the main UK airport that serves flights to Orlando for British Airways.

It will be interesting to see how Disney handles domestic reopening. I think Disneyland will likely open first, as the AP base and locals can sustain it... but I can’t imagine WDW getting anywhere back to normal fast with possible state and international travel being restricted. It’s a huge property to try and open to likely only Floridians.

MadMax11

Disney isn't opening up anytime soon. Same for Universal, Sea World & Legoland. Insurance is gonna be a b**** to procure.

Oh, I don't disagree with you...I think it will be a while too. Just saying that SSE seems like an easy thing to keep around if they're diverting $$ from certain projects to another. It's already built and helps handle capacity when they do open. The financial strains will be around long after the parks open.

21stamps

Uefa have officially cancelled Champions and Europa leagues too. If you follow that kind of stuff. I’m still waiting for the Six Nations to finish

Yes. I saw the alert earlier. So sad.
We have been watching past matches on UEFA.tv , they’re showing a good selection.

21stamps

Yep. There’s so many facets to the sports thing. Qualifiers, contracts, revenue...including revenue for the vendors, related companies, and surrounding businesses in the places where the matches are played. This is from pro sports all the way to the travel youth teams.
This is completely unprecedented as far as I know.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It will be interesting to see how Disney handles domestic reopening. I think Disneyland will likely open first, as the AP base and locals can sustain it... but I can’t imagine WDW getting anywhere back to normal fast with possible state and international travel being restricted. It’s a huge property to try and open to likely only Floridians.
The UK flights are going to be real problem, both in terms of when that will be allowed, and will the airlines even be in a position to do them financially and operationally.

From the UK, I imagine flights will first resume to JFK, but a lot of visitors are not going to want to do indirect flights. Direct flights to MCO may be a long way off.

Disney Analyst

The UK flights are going to be real problem, both in terms of when that will be allowed, and will the airlines even be in a position to do them financially and operationally.

From the UK, I imagine flights will first resume to JFK, but a lot of visitors are not going to want to do indirect flights. Direct flights to MCO may be a long way off.

I also know, as Disney stated on their investor call last month... Canada is in the top 3 for visitor demographics (was that for Disneyland or both? Can’t remember), and I don’t foresee Canadians coming down anytime soon.

esskay

I'd imagine quite a few European carriers to collapse before this is over as well. Norweigan air looks to be in trouble and MCO is one of their main destinations along with JFK.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I'd imagine quite a few European carriers to collapse before this is over as well. Norweigan air looks to be in trouble and MCO is one of their main destinations along with JFK.

I imagine any budget carriers could be down and out for the count. They're offering RT tickets from DFW to Denver for $30 RT. I can't even fill up my car for $30.

Communicora

Premium Member
I don't know any of you personally, but I love this forum.

I live in the NY/NJ/CT metro area. One of my best friends was just killed by the Chinese/Wuhan/COVID-19/Coronavirus. He was only 36 years old. He didn't know how he got it. He was tested and told to self-quarantine, which he did. 9 days later, this past Saturday he had bad breathing problems and decided to to the Emergency Room. It was too late.

He died yesterday. Alone. I loved my good friend/little brother dearly.

We can't even mourn him properly, as only limited numbers of people can gather...even for funerals.

PLEASE FIGHT THIS IN YOUR OWN LIVES LIKE A WAR! PLEASE FIGHT FOR YOURSELF & YOUR LOVED ONES! STAY HOME! DISINFECT OFTEN!

Sending love & prayers to you all.
My sincere condolences. I will be praying for you and your friend's other loved ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom