Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Yeah, i'm sure that is how everyone thinks when they remove their cards. Lets just be honest, the self checkout aisles, carts and credit card machines are the most frequently touched areas of stores, that is where most of the risk will come into play. Which makes me wonder if Disney will forgo the biometric finger readers going forward.

As a germaphobe, that's how I thought before. I'd think a lot of people think that way right now!

I would think they could switch to facial recognition instead of the biometric reader for a relatively low expense. Pretty much any smartphone is capable of it. An entrance system would be a bit more complex but I'd think it could be done for a few thousand dollars per RFID reader.

Jlasoon

A bunch of recent posts are speculating that the crowds will be so low that Disney might leave one or two of the parks closed longer than the others. If that is the case, why would crowd reduction be necessary?

If they really need to limit crowds, they can just really jack up the prices and lower the phased closing limits. They'd profit more if they doubled all prices and lost 33% of attendance.

It's not about the crowds. That's a whole other conversation for another time. Trust me, the crowds aren't coming back anytime soon. Too many people are unemployed around the world right now, they just don't know it yet.

The issue for Disney is insurance. Good luck with that! They won't open unless they're covered, and no one is covering CV19 right now.

willtravel

I ordered the KN95 off eBay about an hour ago. It's allegedly just as effective as the N95 according to the CDC, but it isn't as prevalent in the US because it is a Chinese alternative. I was willing to risk it.

Edit: Got scammed. Be careful :mad::mad::mad::mad:
I was just reading about whether to wear a mask in public and there is no agreement. One says no that the person who has COVID-19 should wear it to keep it from spreading to healthy people and then another article says yes. Confusing.

DisneyCane

That's a big "if" though. Even if that worked out on tickets, how would it impact the resorts people booked? And then all the additional discretionary spending?
True. It would still be better to reduce crowds that way than to eliminate APs. I'd imagine that APs are a relatively low percentage of daily attendance (at least based on the number of people entering the passholder line at the entrance). Also, it seems historically that APs are very important to WDW when there are economic downturns because of the steady revenue.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
A bit off topic, but my husband is spending more time at home (he was already retired before CV-19) and tends to keep the TV on all the time.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit crass for all of the funeral homes, insurance for final costs companies, etc to have increased their air time this week? I know it's a golden opportunity, but still.........

I personally haven't seen anything like that, but it definitely is crass (I mean, smart on their parts, but need to be more sensitive right now).

DisneyCane

It's not about the crowds. That's a whole other conversation for another time. Trust me, the crowds aren't coming back anytime soon. Too many people are unemployed around the world right now, they just don't know it yet.

The issue for Disney is insurance. Good luck with that! They won't open unless they're covered, and no one is covering CV19 right now.

I don't know if insurance will be an issue. If desired, the State of Florida could pass a law making theme park or other large gathering operators not liable for COVID-19 transmission. Colorado has a law that skiing or snowboarding is done at your own risk. You can not sue a ski area operator for any injury.

I think that the biggest limit on crowds in the months after opening is that international travel will still be severely restricted for some time. I could easily see part of the customs process being to submit to a test and be subject to quarantine if positive. That would be a deterrent to leisure travel for sure.

ifan

I was just reading about whether to wear a mask in public and there is no agreement. One says no that the person who has COVID-19 should wear it to keep it from spreading to healthy people and then another article says yes. Confusing.

There are a lot of variables to this. There are different kinds of masks (surgical vs N95.) The mask has to be fitted properly (a proper seal.) The mask has to be in working condition (if it is soiled or heavily breathed in/full of moisture, it can make it less functional.) And people have to don/doff the mask properly. If any of these variables are not done properly, you could theoretically INCREASE your risk of infection.

But let's forget all of that for a moment. If society was wearing just about anything to cover their face, there would probably be a lower level of transmission due to less sneeze/cough droplets being aerosolized everywhere. Yes this mostly applies to people who are sick, to prevent others from becoming sick. But since you don't start showing symptoms until days after become infectious, you have to assume everyone is sick. That is why some of the asian countries are encouraging everywhere to wear masks.

The US will probably start encouraging mask usage in a few weeks once our mask supply is better. Right now it doesn't matter as much since non-essential people are supposed to be home and there aren't enough masks...

Jlasoon

True. It would still be better to reduce crowds that way than to eliminate APs. I'd imagine that APs are a relatively low percentage of daily attendance (at least based on the number of people entering the passholder line at the entrance). Also, it seems historically that APs are very important to WDW when there are economic downturns because of the steady revenue.

Yep! AP will be Disney's bread & butter going forward. International tourism is all but dead. Sucks for Disney, but AP holders don't spend enough to keep the lights on. All that Iger debt is gonna require some serious 'bean' counting.

jmp85

Yep! AP will be Disney's bread & butter going forward. International tourism is all but dead. Sucks for Disney, but AP holders don't spend enough to keep the lights on. All that Iger debt is gonna require some serious 'bean' counting.

I can see it now, parking fees at POP Century! starting at $65/night. Hey, someone has to pay for Magical Express.

Jlasoon

I don't know if insurance will be an issue. If desired, the State of Florida could pass a law making theme park or other large gathering operators not liable for COVID-19 transmission. Colorado has a law that skiing or snowboarding is done at your own risk. You can not sue a ski area operator for any injury.

I think that the biggest limit on crowds in the months after opening is that international travel will still be severely restricted for some time. I could easily see part of the customs process being to submit to a test and be subject to quarantine if positive. That would be a deterrent to leisure travel for sure.

Right now, as of this moment, they can't get coverage for June 1.

Polynesia

How would a guest prove they got sick at Disney World? It could be picked up on a plane or came already infected. Does anyone think they’ll take temperatures of the cast members each day upon starting?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

You're not going to see lawsuits around COVID-19 unless you can prove someone was maliciously negligent. You're more likely to see lawsuits leveled at companies like 24 Hour Fitness that is charging you a membership fee while the business is closed without a way to cancel it.

durangojim

Yeah, i'm sure that is how everyone thinks when they remove their cards. Lets just be honest, the self checkout aisles, carts and credit card machines are the most frequently touched areas of stores, that is where most of the risk will come into play. Which makes me wonder if Disney will forgo the biometric finger readers going forward.
Wish most checkout areas would use Apple Pay/nfc readers

DisneyDebRob

A bit off topic, but my husband is spending more time at home (he was already retired before CV-19) and tends to keep the TV on all the time.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit crass for all of the funeral homes, insurance for final costs companies, etc to have increased their air time this week? I know it's a golden opportunity, but still.........
They are the ambulance chasers of today. I said a few hundred posts back about the lawyers on tv commercials before this started saying.. accident?... slip or fall? Etc. Now I’ve seen about 10 commercials where they just say.. fall in a supermarket? Get in touch with us! Unreal.

DisneyCane

How would a guest prove they got sick at Disney World? It could be picked up on a plane or came already infected. Does anyone think they’ll take temperatures of the cast members each day upon starting?
Unfortunately with tort law they don't have to prove it. They just need to convince a jury that evil, greedy Disney was negligent.

I'd hope they temperature screen employees. It's probably even more important to temperature screen guests and refuse entry to anybody with a fever. I doubt they will but they should. I know it isn't perfect and people can do things to get around it.

willtravel

There are a lot of variables to this. There are different kinds of masks (surgical vs N95.) The mask has to be fitted properly (a proper seal.) The mask has to be in working condition (if it is soiled or heavily breathed in/full of moisture, it can make it less functional.) And people have to don/doff the mask properly. If any of these variables are not done properly, you could theoretically INCREASE your risk of infection.

But let's forget all of that for a moment. If society was wearing just about anything to cover their face, there would probably be a lower level of transmission due to less sneeze/cough droplets being aerosolized everywhere. Yes this mostly applies to people who are sick, to prevent others from becoming sick. But since you don't start showing symptoms until days after become infectious, you have to assume everyone is sick. That is why some of the asian countries are encouraging everywhere to wear masks.

The US will probably start encouraging mask usage in a few weeks once our mask supply is better. Right now it doesn't matter as much since non-essential people are supposed to be home and there aren't enough masks...
This is the one that I see when I am grocery shopping. Not sure what the difference is.

or

I also saw a guy walking out side with a handkerchief tied around face.

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Down here, people aren't being allowed into a supermarket without a face mask. I'm used to not touching my face, since I wear makeup from time to time. :)

Pharmacies have been slow in getting more face masks, though. Fortunately, my H was given a few, since his job is considered essential.

We're required to maintain social distance guidelines at all times while shopping and also at cashier lines. We've been buying fruit that can be peeled, such as bananas, apples, pineapples and oranges all of which I wash thoroughly, regardless.

Jlasoon

You're not going to see lawsuits around COVID-19 unless you can prove someone was maliciously negligent. You're more likely to see lawsuits leveled at companies like 24 Hour Fitness that is charging you a membership fee while the business is closed without a way to cancel it.

Lol, really? Then open up the parks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom