Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

Biggest pet peave right now is IF someone is sent home for having any symptoms the whole work area has to be wiped down. Sounds great except it's the coworkers in the same area being told to do the cleaning with rags and a spray bottle of whatever cleaner is available. So everything we touched before that (because things are shared) has already been touched by us. We get no info if someone tests positive or negative if they even receive one just "the investigation is completed". Yeah I get it employers don't want to reveal medical info, but if I'm being asked daily if I have been exposed to a confirmed or suspended case to even enter work, how can I answer when it's the employer withholding the info?

Lilofan

Biggest pet peave right now is IF someone is sent home for having any symptoms the whole work area has to be wiped down. Sounds great except it's the coworkers in the same area being told to do the cleaning with rags and a spray bottle of whatever cleaner is available. So everything we touched before that (because things are shared) has already been touched by us. We get no info if someone tests positive or negative if they even receive one just "the investigation is completed". Yeah I get it employers don't want to reveal medical info, but if I'm being asked daily if I have been exposed to a confirmed or suspended case to even enter work, how can I answer when it's the employer withholding the info?
When I wipe down my work area it's generally a daily ritual. Some other work areas are as nasty and dirty like the pre show lobby hotel area of the Tower of Terror at DHS.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Uhhh... because the general where abouts of these ships is already well known. Where they are deployed, their rotation, their stops, etc.

You can’t hide these things under a tarp.

That is true. However the world doesnt need to know the health status of the occupants.

The Mom

Premium Member
I applaud the effort, but isn’t your car now contaminated since you need to use your hands to enter the car, put groceries in the car, etc.?

No, I have an SUV so just put the groceries in the back, with my gloves on. I do touch the bags when bringing them into the house, but immediately wash my hands - along with wiping down house door handles, etc plus my house keys. I do use my gloved hand to open the car door from the outside, but do not touch the inside with my gloved hands. And even then, I use hand sanitizer once I have removed the gloves. I also wipe down the inside of my car with Clorox wipes periodically. I am not in and out of my car very often these days. ;)

I'm not striving for a strict sterile field here, which would be impossible. I'm just attempting to reduce contamination as much as possible when outside my house. I mainly use frequent hand washing while inside - no one except my husband or cat has been in the house in almost 3 weeks. Any packages and mail are opened outside - I have a small trash can on the front porch. If something has to be taken inside I wash my hands after touching it. Am I sure that I haven't been exposed despite my best efforts? Of course not - all I can do is reduce my chances.

And yes, I do know how to take off the gloves properly - before anyone asks.

Weather_Lady

Walmart said on Tuesday it would start taking the temperature of its employees before the start of their shift and ask them basic health screening questions as its steps up safety measures to counter the rapidly spreading coronavirus.

Walmart said it would send infrared thermometers to all locations over the next week or two and workers who record a temperature of 100 degrees or more will be sent home. The retailer will also supply gloves and face masks to workers who wish to use them. The first shipment of those thermometers and masks will be deployed to the company’s warehouses and as further supply becomes available, it will be sent to stores.

I think that's fantastic, and I wish all employers could do the same.

Perhaps it has varied by location up until now, but I was in our local Wal-Mart 2 weeks ago and the employees were already wearing masks. (Perhaps they were something they got for themselves, if corporate hasn't been providing them before.) Actually, so was I, and so were half of the other customers in the store, whether it was a run-of-the-mill ear loop mask, or a homemade version, which are being sewn by the thousands by area residents (myself included) with tremendous help from our local Mennonite population, as our local hospitals, senior living centers, home health aides, etc. are already running out and have begun collecting homemade ones and even publishing links to their "official" preferred patterns and filter materials. We're in New York state, hundreds of miles away from NYC (Finger Lakes region of Western NY), but we've already seen dozens of cases in and around our county, and several deaths. DH is a severe asthmatic, so I've become the de facto family shopper, and my once-a-week outings (as well as the unpacking and cleaning of everything that comes into the house) are executed with calm and careful use of sterile technique in stores, in the car, and at home, to the extent practicable.

Appropos of nothing, our last WDW trip was (can it be, it feels like a million years!??!) last month. We flew home on Sunday, 2/23 with only a vague idea that there was some kind of virus over in China that was starting to heat up. We took a little extra care with washing our hands frequently, but that was about it, and we were actually amused to see the people in the row ahead of us on our return flight scrubbing down every inch of their seating area multiple times over and wearing medical masks (with bandanas over the top) on their faces. I mean, we've always taken a wet wipe and done a quick sweep of touch screen, chair arms and tray tables, but these folks not only spent several minutes wiping down everything in sight, but every time someone brushed by the arm of their seat, they'd whip out their disinfectant supplies and do it all again. We thought they were really over-the-top. Given the way the world has changed in the few short weeks since, I now realize they were probably just better-informed than we were.

I think my family and I (all working/schooling from home for the past 3 weeks) already look back on last month's Walt Disney World trip with an incredible sense of longing and nostalgia -- unbeknownst to us at the time, it would be our last taste of the kind of carefree, rubbing-elbows-with-thousands, feeding-off-of-the-energy-of-a-crowd experience that has always typified Disney vacations for us. I don't mean to sound doom-and-gloom: I believe we'll regain that spirit again when the danger has passed (in fact, when it's all over I'd love to go back to Disney World, sort of as a bookend for this strange interlude), but for the time being, as we come to terms with our "new" normal, our past Disney parks vacations on both coasts feel like beautiful memories from a bygone era. :)

Last edited:

Jlasoon

Just a guess that the SSE redo gets pushed off for a while...it's still an attraction that can accommodate a lot of guests when the parks reopen. As they divert funds elsewhere, I'm betting that one re-opens as we've known it for a while.

Disney isn't opening up anytime soon. Same for Universal, Sea World & Legoland. Insurance is gonna be a b**** to procure.

DisneyDoctor

No, I have an SUV so just put the groceries in the back, with my gloves on. I do touch the bags when bringing them into the house, but immediately wash my hands - along with wiping down house door handles, etc plus my house keys. I do use my gloved hand to open the car door from the outside, but do not touch the inside with my gloved hands. And even then, I use hand sanitizer once I have removed the gloves. I also wipe down the inside of my car with Clorox wipes periodically. I am not in and out of my car very often these days. ;)

I'm not striving for a strict sterile field here, which would be impossible. I'm just attempting to reduce contamination as much as possible when outside my house. I mainly use frequent hand washing while inside - no one except my husband or cat has been in the house in almost 3 weeks. Any packages and mail are opened outside - I have a small trash can on the front porch. If something has to be taken inside I wash my hands after touching it. Am I sure that I haven't been exposed despite my best efforts? Of course not - all I can do is reduce my chances.

And yes, I do know how to take off the gloves properly - before anyone asks.
I don’t want to get in the weeds. Well done for doing your part, if only others did the same.

DisneyCane

Yes but how many cards were inserted into the slot? Hundreds or thousands of potentially tainted cards.
If you only touch the non-chip edge of your card and slide it in an out of your wallet carefully you won't come into contact with the part that touched the slot.

Disstevefan1

I was thinking on a radical way to reduce crowds in light of today's "new normal" post Corona.

Full disclosure - I am a central Florida resident and a current AP holder+2, and have renewed three annual passes for the past 10 years or so...

Radical steps to reduce crowds:
1. Eliminate resident APs - resident APs that are still valid allow only one visit per month for the remaining months on the AP.
2. Eliminate non resident APs - non resident APs that are still valid allow 14 consecutive days to use before the expiry date.
2. A steep increase in ticket prices. This will both reduce attendance and will offset the revenue lost during the closure.

Excuse me while I quickly get into my flameproof suit..... OK, I am ready :)

The Mom

Premium Member
A bit off topic, but my husband is spending more time at home (he was already retired before CV-19) and tends to keep the TV on all the time.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit crass for all of the funeral homes, insurance for final costs companies, etc to have increased their air time this week? I know it's a golden opportunity, but still.........

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
If you only touch the non-chip edge of your card and slide it in an out of your wallet carefully you won't come into contact with the part that touched the slot.
Yeah, i'm sure that is how everyone thinks when they remove their cards. Lets just be honest, the self checkout aisles, carts and credit card machines are the most frequently touched areas of stores, that is where most of the risk will come into play. Which makes me wonder if Disney will forgo the biometric finger readers going forward.

DisneyCane

I was thinking on a radical way to reduce crowds in light of today's "new normal" post Corona.

Full disclosure - I am a central Florida resident and a current AP holder+2, and have renewed three annual passes for the past 10 years or so...

1. Eliminate resident APs - resident APs that are still valid allow only one visit per month for the remaining months on the AP.
2. Eliminate non resident APs - non resident APs that are still valid allow 14 consecutive days to use before the expiry date.
2. A steep increase in ticket prices. This will both reduce attendance and will offset the revenue lost during the closure.

A bunch of recent posts are speculating that the crowds will be so low that Disney might leave one or two of the parks closed longer than the others. If that is the case, why would crowd reduction be necessary?

If they really need to limit crowds, they can just really jack up the prices and lower the phased closing limits. They'd profit more if they doubled all prices and lost 33% of attendance.

jmp85

I am not sure your proposed model would be cash flow positive.

jmp85

A bunch of recent posts are speculating that the crowds will be so low that Disney might leave one or two of the parks closed longer than the others. If that is the case, why would crowd reduction be necessary?

If they really need to limit crowds, they can just really jack up the prices and lower the phased closing limits. They'd profit more if they doubled all prices and lost 33% of attendance.

That's a big "if" though. Even if that worked out on tickets, how would it impact the resorts people booked? And then all the additional discretionary spending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom