Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polynesia

Why is there so much speculation about not opening all the parks? Unless the economic damage is much worse than the post 9/11 recession (especially with travel), why would they do something like that now when the kept all parks open back then?
I have to agree with you. On several of the other Disney sites all the articles mention a phased opening of the parks. People are going to blast me for saying this but if I were Disney I’d pull the trigger to open all the parks and hotels as needed. Let the blasting begin. 🙀

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney Cruise Line is hoping to resume April 28 it’s just been announced. Other cruise lines are announcing beginning of May sailing dates.
Who are they going to get to go on those cruises? Maybe if they come out with an antibody test that confirms if you had the sickness and are now immune. Outside of that nobody is getting on a cruise ship while this is still raging.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why is there so much speculation about not opening all the parks? Unless the economic damage is much worse than the post 9/11 recession (especially with travel), why would they do something like that now when the kept all parks open back then?
Pure speculation. I would assume if they cut back it will be all 4 parks open but various attractions and restaurants in each park not open and hours scaled back.

Polynesia

Who are they going to get to go on those cruises? Maybe if they come out with an antibody test that confirms if you had the sickness and are now immune. Outside of that nobody is getting on a cruise ship while this is still raging.
Just passing along what’s out there. I wouldn’t cruise in May. But I would after that. We’re looking at an August cruise right now.

Lilofan

I have to agree with you. On several of the other Disney sites all the articles mention a phased opening of the parks. People are going to blast me for saying this but if I were Disney I’d pull the trigger to open all the parks and hotels as needed. Let the blasting begin. 🙀
The finance teams that only see dollars and cents are advising Iger and Chapek and the idea of opening everything all at once is not realistic.

Disney Analyst

How can you even begin to know this? Anyone in a position to have that sort information isn't hanging out on a discussion board .

Because logic dictates, and thus I assume the most logical scenario is an environment like a Cruise Ship won't be viable for public use until at least the fall. Remember, the virus is not going to just vanish. As public life ramps us, we will likely see a second surge, and then potentially a third surge before vaccines are available.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
It's complicated. You have "locals" that live in the Orlando, Kissimmee area and can literally go to the parks within a 5, 10, 15, 20 minute drive. Then you have "locals" (like me) that are a short inte hour/hour and a half a way - Think Daytona, Ormond, Tampa, St Pete, Sarasota, Vero, Ft Pierce, St Lucie)...Then you got locals 2-4 hours away (Jacksonville, West Palm, Ft Lauderdale).

All within a reasonable driving distance. That is where the hotel discounts come into play (- For the moderate locals). If I can get Beach Club for $149 a night. I'm there. Provided everything is sanitized and all.
Agree. Not local, but there's also AP's like us, we usually drive 3 1/2 hours after a short international flight. So we depend on airlines' announcing when they expect to resume operations.

Last edited:

John park hopper

Iger and others are taking a pay cut----
"Pay cuts will be in place until there is a substantive recovery in the business".
Think the powers to be will be in a rush to get the parks open and making money --hope not at the expense of safety

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just passing along what’s out there. I wouldn’t cruise in May. But I would after that. We’re looking at an August cruise right now.
sorry, not shooting the messenger, but it seems unlikely the demand will be there that soon. If the number of cases drops to a level of single digits per day or something than I could see ramping up. I don’t think we’ll be there in May yet. Who knows. My gut is the parks will re-open well before the cruise line.

DisneyJoe

Any word on an extension for the deadline to use Florida Resident Discovery Disney tickets? It was originally 6/30, that was extended to 7/31 with the March closure, but I have not seen the date move again with the April closure. Really hoping it gets pushed out far enough to move my trip to the fall instead of being forced to go in the peak Summer heat, since my April trip is definitely off now.
Still 7/31 per https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/ under Tickets

Disney Analyst

sorry, not shooting the messenger, but it seems unlikely the demand will be there that soon. If the number of cases drops to a level of single digits per day or something than I could see ramping up. I don’t think we’ll be there in May yet. Who knows. My gut is the parks will re-open well before the cruise line.

I also would expect parks to open way before the ships. The Cruise industry is going to have to move forward very cautiously.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
It’s on their website. I’m just reporting what’s out there. That doesn’t mean there won’t be another postponement

Every Cruise Line right now has different info (hopes) of when it may start operations. They will all come out together (within several days/hours of each other). CLIA, USTOA, ASTA, ARC, IATA, USTravel, et al, are making decisions together. It's not going to be "one-upsmanship" here.

Disney Analyst

Every Cruise Line right now has different info (hopes) of when it may start operations. They will all come out together (within several days/hours of each other). CLIA, USTOA, ASTA, ARC, IATA, USTravel, are making decisions together. It's not going to be "one-upsmanship" here.

To add some context, as cruise season would be starting here in Vancouver, Victoria etc. around this time... the season is currently banned until July... and even that is a soft date.

MrPromey

I've been saying much the same thing.
Are we to assume that every kid has a functioning home computer?
Every inner city kid?
My wife is an RN (good job) and I just retired with a pension from a good job, and I have nothing more than a Chromebook - and my wife doesn't always have a well functioning computer.
And our wifi is quite poor.
And that's us, people in a relatively good position in life.
I'd imagine that there must be large numbers of kids out there in various economic situations that weren't ready to just go online and learn, nor have the means or ability to go get themselves pc's.

In my part of Florida (and Florida is not known for being the best place for public education) they've begun in-home schooling this week.

Last week they did tests to make sure that all students had equipment that could handle access to the online training and those who weren't were given the opportunity to pick up loaner hardware that would allow them to.

Additionally, through a partnership with a local cable provider, they were also offering free 60 days of the lowest tier of high-speed internet to any k-12 household who already didn't have it, along with a waiving of the setup fees.

I don't know how the rest of the country is going to handle this but if Florida can pull this off, I'd have to imagine most states can. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom