Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

As far as I know, those studies generally relate to toddlers, which is not what I'm talking about (nor am I talking about phone games). I'm talking about older kids (I also didn't say 7-8 hours). The instant gratification and dopamine hits exist in a small subset of games (again, mostly those phone "games"). You're looking at a small subset and then applying that across a broad spectrum; it's no different than saying watching Saw is bad for a 5 year old therefore every movie that exists is bad for 5 year olds.

You can't group all video games as one thing and say they're all the same just like you can't group all movies or books together and say they're all the same. There is plenty of research that suggests certain types of video games help cognitive and behavioral development. Most games are not based on instant gratification and dopamine hits.

I specifically posted the Switch time photos because they show the game being played- Fortnite.
It’s being played so much because FIFA20 and NDA2K19 are not cross platform so he can’t play with friends on those, neither is Just Dance (really the only video game I’m ok with lol).

There is no benefit to spending multiple hours on Fortnite. 1 hour should be enough imo..maybe 1:15, and that’s if it’s raining or at night and I’m not available to play a board game or card game etc.

This is all my opinion for my own family, I simply posted it because after way too much screen time last week, I figured out how to get a handle on it this week. (Though the weather helped). It was a learning curve when kids suddenly have more free time than they’ve ever had. I thought other parents may be facing the same issue.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

DisneyCane

So I guess I should trust your word on it rather than that of the experts at the CDC, WHO, Johns Hopkins, etc who have basically said just what I said.

S Korea indeed did lockdowns but then moved to a test and isolate regime. And the issue isn't necessarily the number of new cases per day. It's the exponential increase. S Korea is holding fairly steady in case increase, and it's small. US is seeing exponential increases in the number of new cases per day, which makes this somewhat terrifying.

Again, the strategy outlined by many experts is to lockdown until rate of infection is low, then rigourously test and quaranteen (and maybe even lock down isolated areas).

Unless of course, you're more of an expert than any of these people who specialize in the field.

By the time we started testing, it was way too late to contain the outbreak with testing/isolation. The capacity didn't really matter because there was never any desire (anywhere, not just in the US) to try to test the general population to find asymptomatic cases.

As I described earlier in the thread, when "patient zero" in Washington State arrived, he contacted health authorities immediately. They tested him and confirmed he had the "Wuhan coronavirus" as it was known at the time in all media. They isolated him and contact traced. They monitored all the contacts they discovered, none of whom became infected. They missed somebody because somebody else was infected and started the outbreak. All the testing in the world wouldn't have made any difference because the people that needed to be tested for an isolation strategy were.

All it takes to spread this virus is one asymptomatic person picking their nose and touching a railing or elevator button that is then touched by countless other people, some of whom don't wash their hands and subsequently touch their eyes, nose or mouth.

First, your assumption on number of cases is pure speculation, we have no idea what the number of unreported cases are, or if people are ignoring the symptoms - in fact, we have reason to believe that the number of unreported cases, while of course higher, is not as high as you probably think. What we can see is % of people who have the virus vs % of people who were tested, and the rates lead me to believe that the virus isn't hugely widespread yet, thanks to distancing measures.

Second: comparing % of deaths to a population level is not how these things are measured, and drastically minimizes the human tragedy of all this. That many deaths in such a short window of time is nothing to trivialize. And no one in the medical community measures things in that way.

Third: deaths climb exponentially when left unchecked. We've seen that. Italy is slowing now thanks to lockdown. Given the rate at which growth multiplies, it's easy to see a scenario where there are a lot more infections and deaths absent the measures we are taking.

It isn't pure speculation. One study estimated 86% asymptomatic cases and Dr. Birx yesterday threw out the number 600,000 as possibly the real number of cases in Hubei Province vs. the 60,000 confirmed when discussing infection rates and why the worst case scenario of 60% of the population infected was overblown because the projection assumed three unabated outbreak cycles.

While the deaths are tragic, there is also the human tragedy of subjecting the entire population to measures which take away a day of quality life for every day the measures are in place and additional days of quality life for the economic damage done by those measures over the medium term.

My opinion is that the lives saved (in practical terms extended) do not outweigh the quality of life taken from the rest of the population of the planet.

A family may have been planning a once in a lifetime trip to WDW for this week and grandma or grandpa may pass away of unrelated causes before they can reschedule. That moment and experience would be lost forever and also make the future trip filled with thoughts of "I wish grandpa could have been here."

Cancelling March Madness has taken away days of enjoyment from tens of millions of people. On a lesser level, I can't even go out to eat with my parents which is an activity that we enjoyed on a regular basis. Each of those missed dinners is a moment lost that can never be regained.

The point of life for humans is to enjoy living. We don't live just to exist and reproduce like a plant or animal.

UNCgolf

I specifically posted the Switch time photos because they show the game being played- Fortnite.
It’s being played so much because FIFA20 and NDA2K19 are not cross platform so he can’t play with friends on those, neither is Just Dance (really the only video game I’m ok with lol).

There is no benefit to spending multiple hours on Fortnite. 1 hour should be enough imo..maybe 1:15, and that’s if it’s raining or at night and I’m not available to play a board game or card game etc.

This is all my opinion for my own family, I simply posted it because after way too much screen time last week, I figured out how to get a handle on it this week. (Though the weather helped). It was a learning curve when kids suddenly have more free time than they’ve ever had. I thought other parents may be facing the same issue.

I didn't intend any of that to come across as an attack on you -- you're not even banning video games like some people do; you're just limiting it. And I agree that Fortnite isn't something kids should be playing for hours and hours at a time for a lot of reasons beyond just the game itself (which also probably does involve a lot of instant gratification/dopamine hits) -- I think the voice chat, especially with strangers but even with friends, can be a serious problem. I'd much rather have my kid playing single player FIFA or NBA for a few hours than Fortnite!

DisneyCane

When WDW does finally open I wonder how many people will be wearing face masks and rubber gloves while there? Course it would be hard to eat though..

And they'll be wearing the mostly useless surgical masks and making them further useless by constantly adjusting them because they become annoying.

The people wearing gloves are probably giving themselves a higher risk of contracting something. The gloves give them a false sense of security so they don't pay attention to not touching their face. The gloves don't kill viruses or bacteria, they just keep them off your hands.

Doctors wear gloves to keep pathogens out of microscopic cuts or other breaks in the skin, not so they don't have to wash their hands.

UNCgolf

Thankfully, we’ve been rewatching the Women’s World Cup, I have all LaLiga and Champions Games recorded, so we finally caught up on all of those.

might not have live sports, but at least it’s something. It would be neat if more past baseball games get shown, I haven’t seen that yet.

If you/your kids have even the slightest interest in golf, every single final round of the Masters from 1968 to the present is available on Youtube on the official Masters channel. I've been watching some of the older ones in the background while I work.

Even if there's no interest in golf, you could probably find old baseball games, soccer matches, etc. on there as well.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
And they'll be wearing the mostly useless surgical masks and making them further useless by constantly adjusting them because they become annoying.

The people wearing gloves are probably giving themselves a higher risk of contracting something. The gloves give them a false sense of security so they don't pay attention to not touching their face. The gloves don't kill viruses or bacteria, they just keep them off your hands.

Doctors wear gloves to keep pathogens out of microscopic cuts or other breaks in the skin, not so they don't have to wash their hands.

Please. Based on the last few weeks of attendance, the most you'll see are a few scattered masks and some giant Mickey gloves. Remember, none of this affects anyone who washes their hands.

Josh Hendy

Italy is slowing now thanks to lockdown. Given the rate at which growth multiplies, it's easy to see a scenario where there are a lot more infections and deaths absent the measures we are taking.
I see headlines this morning saying that cases in Lombardy are growing again. It may be due to more and better testing.

And speaking of countries claiming to have shrinking infection rates ...

Screenshot_20200326-105519_Samsung Internet.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My whine for the day-

Cincinnati Reds have the best lineup they’ve had in years. Now delayed.
Kiddo turns 10 in a few weeks, a planned GWL stay with friends prior to his bday, WDW the week of his bday.
Miami has a MLS team who I was really excited about.
We have tickets to several FCC games.
Champions League postponed.

Those are a few of the things that Corona has wrecked for us, and out of the entire list (not posted here) they’re the most inconsequential.

But, I was looking forward to Opening Day so much, hate that it isn’t happening!!!
My biggest petty gripe is I wish I had gotten a haircut before the lockdown. I‘m a week away from ordering clippers on Amazon and buzzing myself ;)

21stamps

I didn't intend any of that to come across as an attack on you -- you're not even banning video games like some people do; you're just limiting it. And I agree that Fortnite isn't something kids should be playing for hours and hours at a time for a lot of reasons beyond just the game itself (which also probably does involve a lot of instant gratification/dopamine hits) -- I think the voice chat, especially with strangers but even with friends, can be a serious problem. I'd much rather have my kid playing single player FIFA or NBA for a few hours than Fortnite!

Yeah, the online chat (or lack of) is another reason why I went with Nintendo over a PS4 or XBox... when he plays with friends on Fortnite, it’s only them in a game together, and he has to use the phone or a group app to talk to them. We don’t have a gaming headset with microphone. I’m way too scared of creeps online.

21stamps

If you/your kids have even the slightest interest in golf, every single final round of the Masters from 1968 to the present is available on Youtube on the official Masters channel. I've been watching some of the older ones in the background while I work.

Even if there's no interest in golf, you could probably find old baseball games, soccer matches, etc. on there as well.

This is great info, thank you! Golf is the one sport I am not a fan of at all, but my kid loves it.

21stamps

My biggest petty gripe is I wish I had gotten a haircut before the lockdown. I‘m a week away from ordering clippers on Amazon and buzzing myself ;)

Luckily I had a cut and highlight at the beginning of the month.. but my son is overdue, way overdue. He asked me to order clippers and scissors to try to do it myself. 😬
I told him to put on a hat every day instead😂

I should have planned better, men/boys are a lot more high maintenance than women when it comes to haircut schedules. ;)

UNCgolf

Yeah, the online chat (or lack of) is another reason why I went with Nintendo over a PS4 or XBox... when he plays with friends on Fortnite, it’s only them in a game together, and he has to use the phone or a group app to talk to them. We don’t have a gaming headset with microphone. I’m way too scared of creeps online.

It's not even just creeps (which is certainly possible, but not super likely) but the intense bullying. Which is why I think it can even be an issue while playing just with friends. Yelling at/ganging up on someone for not doing something right or fast enough or whatever and then it just snowballs.

Jumpr71

I too am a germaphobe, but I would be very sad to see such rituals as the handshake disappear. They play an important role in forging and signifying the bonds that unite us as a society.
I wont be mourning the loss of handshakes. I actually have a running list of things I will miss vs not miss. Handshakes, and buffets are on my “wont miss” list.

UNCgolf

This is great info, thank you! Golf is the one sport I am not a fan of at all, but my kid loves it.

They're in full HD starting with 2005. But it's interesting to go back and watch a broadcast from, say, the late 1980s and see how different everything was. Not just the picture quality, but the outfits, the broadcast technology, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom