Expedition Everest effects status watch

DVCakaCarlF

The problem with the Yeti is internal. The rods and pistons can't withstand the amount of torque caused by the swinging arm/body.

So, it needs a new skeleton. Which is basically a whole new Yeti. Additionally, a new Yeti has a higher replacement cost since it has to be built in such a way as to adhere to more stringent rules for several hundred pounds to be swinging over guests' heads.

Two groups within Disney (I think WDI and Ops) are refusing to pay for it, saying the other should. And so, WDW has settled for the way things are.

And that's it.

The metal scaffolding the Yeti is on is separate from the coaster. The scaffolding is fine. The scaffolding is in a cement base. The cement base is fine.

When looking into problems with the Yeti, it has been removed and put back overnight. It's almost plug 'n play. There's a big service door in the back of the ride.

Replacing the Yeti is easy. Getting a new one built seems to be hard.
Great response...thanks.

Marc Davis Fan

Nope.
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 4.44.38 PM.png

(just today)

Pepper's Ghost

What will become of this thread if the Yeti ever does get fixed in a sustainable way. This is the fitting example of failure by Disney. If they fixed it, all other issues would seem like minor nuisances. The Yeti, however, is a symbol of catastrophic failure by greedy and incompetent leadership. Sunken boats... who cares. HM on the fritz for a week... we can make excuses due to the ride's age. Disco Yeti??? UNFORGIVABLE GREED AND INCOMPETENCE! 🤣

Don't read this as defense of Disney, btw. It's NOT! Once upon a time when it first opened I saw the Yeti in it's full glory, and realize what a pathetic excuse Disco Yeti is. It's the most expensive mannequin ever! Should they fix it though, I'm afraid of what will become of our shining beacon of complaining! 🤪

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can we maybe finally unsticky this 13 year old thread now? The future of WDW is looking a little grim and there are far, far greater concerns than whether or not the yeti is working. If it ever does move again, Twitter will explode with the news and we all know it.

In it's place, we can have a locked stickied thread that has a link to this thread. The locked thread is something that we can subscribe to with an email notification. Thus, when @wdwmagic posts to it that there's news, we can all be informed. And the unstickied discussion thread can rise and fall on its own.

Tom Morrow

In it's place, we can have a locked stickied thread that has a link to this thread. The locked thread is something that we can subscribe to with an email notification. Thus, when @wdwmagic posts to it that there's news, we can all be informed. And the unstickied discussion thread can rise and fall on its own.
A stickied locked thread with links to the various "watch" discussion threads would be preferable, perhaps with updates for when major elements return. At this point, acting like this topic is still at the top of our concerns is looking extremely petty. I've felt this way for a while and been vocal about it, but it applies now more than ever.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe this is the first extended downtime Everest has had since its opening? I know not much is happening around the parks but hopefully it’s getting a little love! Finally some rest after 14 years of almost constant motion lol

Tom Morrow

So how about it @wdwmagic? Can this finally be unstickied? (See above posts)

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe this is the first extended downtime Everest has had since its opening? I know not much is happening around the parks but hopefully it’s getting a little love! Finally some rest after 14 years of almost constant motion lol
It is indeed the first downtime Everest has had. Everest has never been closed. Unfortunately Disney has halted all construction for the closure so its unlikely any major fixes will have happened anywhere when the parks reopen. This could possibly change if and when CDC guidelines and crowd gatherings are lifted, but even then, this closure is expected to last long enough that Disney is going to want to save every penny they can.

Second issue is they would have had to have a replacement/fixing project ready to go and already funded, and I'm guessing there was nothing.

My wish is that they use this time to fix show issues that don't require heavy manpower. For instance, Tower of Terror is plagued with show issues (see its unstickied version of this thread) but most of them could be fixed with a small team of show programmers.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
So how about it @wdwmagic? Can this finally be unstickied? (See above posts)

It is indeed the first downtime Everest has had. Everest has never been closed. Unfortunately Disney has halted all construction for the closure so its unlikely any major fixes will have happened anywhere when the parks reopen. This could possibly change if and when CDC guidelines and crowd gatherings are lifted, but even then, this closure is expected to last long enough that Disney is going to want to save every penny they can.

Second issue is they would have had to have a replacement/fixing project ready to go and already funded, and I'm guessing there was nothing.

My wish is that they use this time to fix show issues that don't require heavy manpower. For instance, Tower of Terror is plagued with show issues (see its unstickied version of this thread) but most of them could be fixed with a small team of show programmers.

^^^

While I agree that EE needs a deep refurb, I think it's had its time in the spotlight. I think it's a good idea to replace the EE status effect thread with a Twilight Zone Tower of Terror effects status watch thread.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
^^^

While I agree that EE needs a deep refurb, I think it's had its time in the spotlight. I think it's a good idea to replace the EE status effect thread with a Twilight Zone Tower of Terror effects status watch thread.

Take it a step further; Why not do a sticky for all E-ticket attractions? That way each attraction thread can show what's currently broken down and what's been fixed.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Would it? I mean you'd have to police it constantly to limit "suggestions" and whatnots. But I'd personally like to see it. Take HM for example: Is the dog howl sound effect working or not? I'd like to know.

I was low-key joking because effects are constantly breaking, but you bring up a great point. It would work great for effects that have been broken for weeks / months and ignored by management.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Take it a step further; Why not do a sticky for all E-ticket attractions? That way each attraction thread can show what's currently broken down and what's been fixed.
Or an "Effects Status" sub-section? Have one thread for each of the big Es (Splash, EE, RotR, Ect..) Prevent any new threads from opening

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom