Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't completely disagree with you. I think part of the reason is because they're taking past tax returns into question, thus if you just started a job in 2018 (or 2019) because you graduated college (or another reason) towards the end of the year, it may not accurately reflect what your current situation is.

Once again, I think they should've just cut them for everyone and then form a decision based on returns through the end of 2020 on whether or not you should have to repay some of it or not.
That was in the most recent House proposal. Paid out to everyone and then clawed back for higher earners when they file tax returns. Didn’t make the cut but it’s a give and take from both sides.

21stamps

I don't completely disagree with you. I think part of the reason is because they're taking past tax returns into question, thus if you just started a job in 2018 (or 2019) because you graduated college (or another reason) towards the end of the year, it may not accurately reflect what your current situation is.

Once again, I think they should've just cut them for everyone and then form a decision based on returns through the end of 2020 on whether or not you should have to repay some of it or not.

The answer is somewhere in between..but I think it would have required too much lag time and basically, just too complicated to roll out quickly.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
That was in the most recent House proposal. Paid out to everyone and then clawed back for higher earners when they file tax returns. Didn’t make the cut but it’s a give and take from both sides.

Technically, they haven't voted on the Senate bill yet. Then it goes to the House. This could still be kicked back (though I highly doubt it).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I had to take my son to the doctor yesterday, for a sick visit.

His doctor told us to quarantine for 2 weeks.. mostly because of the timeline of my recent illness and now my son getting sick. (Sick as in fatigue, cold, fever, not too serious)..
The doctor was very clear that even if this is COVID-19, we shouldn’t be worried.
Younger healthy people, especially children, are seeing very mild symptoms. This is backed up from research. Anything saying otherwise is to induce panic, not backed up by what we know so far.
What is clear though is children can be carriers and put others at risk.

Not children, but we just had an 18 year old and a 21 year old die over here from the virus. The 21 year old had no underlying medical issues.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Technically, they haven't voted on the Senate bill yet. Then it goes to the House. This could still be kicked back (though I highly doubt it).
its bi-partisan so should pass. They may pass it by unanimous consent which doesn’t require the full house to be present and vote, but there’s already 1 guy who says he will object forcing a full vote. That can’t happen until tomorrow at the earliest.

Ponderer

The biggest difference between 9/11 and this is that 9/11, as designed by the terrorists, had horrific images that stoked people's fear of flying in general. It also allowed people to imagine that if terrorists could pull that off, they could blow up the Magic Kingdom.

With the virus, the only images are the case and death scoreboard. Inherently humans are not afraid of getting a fatal disease because diseases are natural and have always been a part of life since life began. Flying in an airplane is an unnatural activity so deep inside our brains we have more fear of doing it.

There WILL be images of people choking to death in hallways. And people get much more scared of something when someone they know dies of that thing.

21stamps

And they have an impressive rewards gold star program.

Not anymore. They changed all of the “rewards” a few months back. I was annoyed when they took away free syrups, years ago.. this last adjustment was much more severe. ;)

150 stars for a free drink now 200 for a free lunch sandwich. I think they figured out that many of us were using our 125 stars for a protein box. 🤣

DCBaker

Premium Member
Governor Mike Dunleavy of Alaska has issued a health mandate for quarantine -

All people arriving in Alaska, whether resident, worker or visitor, are required to self-quarantine for 14 days and monitor for illness. Arriving residents and workers in self-quarantine, should work from home, unless you support critical infrastructure.

Ponderer

its bi-partisan so should pass. They may pass it by unanimous consent which doesn’t require the full house to be present and vote, but there’s already 1 guy who says he will object forcing a full vote. That can’t happen until tomorrow at the earliest.

Graham, Sasse and Tim Scott are objecting to the bill's unemployment provisions, saying that it "disincentivizes people to work." They're threatening to block it. So I guess we'll see what happens. If Mnuchin presses for it, it may get through anyway.

ELG13

I don't understand politics, and I don't know the ins and out of this package, but why would someone already be on the record saying they would stop it from going the easy route and just passing completely the easy way?? I'm not saying I don't believe you. I'm saying I don't know what would be so terrible about it that he's already saying that.

21stamps

Ohio Gov -

We’re all a little worried. This probably applies to the company I work for, but apparently they’ve spoken directly to the Lt. Governor, last week, and modified operations to remain in compliance. So who knows. I’m not in that decision process. I’m in waiting mode.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't understand politics, and I don't know the ins and out of this package, but why would someone already be on the record saying they would stop it from going the easy route and just passing completely the easy way?? I'm not saying I don't believe you. I'm saying I don't know what would be so terrible about it that he's already saying that.
Good question. I think it may be to get people to officially vote and have it on the record. I hate politics. Even at a time like this both sides are playing games.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Maybe God told them to stay open ;) We need all of the facts before judging ;)

So tired of these 'leaders' trying to use religion as a reason to stay open. And I say that as someone who is active in my church. The bible clearly states to respect your leaders, those in power, etc., to follow their orders. Anyone trying to say otherwise in this situation are false believers in my eyes.

Jwink

Graham, Sasse and Tim Scott are objecting to the bill's unemployment provisions, saying that it "disincentivizes people to work." They're threatening to block it. So I guess we'll see what happens. If Mnuchin presses for it, it may get through anyway.
I mean what the heck are they expecting people to do? Get laid off/furloughed and then try to compete with the 15,000 others in the same position in your city for the 52 publix jobs available 🤦🏼‍♀️

I didn’t share this yet but my husband was furloughed from his second job yesterday 😖. Disney is his main income but the 2nd one brings in around $950 extra a month which is huge. Poor guy works so hard. So he’s already applied at Publix, Trader Joe’s, and a forklift job. In one day! He’s a keeper 😍. I work from home and my job isn’t affected (as of yet)

but honestly with the new reports of kiddos and young adults being affected badly by covid-19 and we have an 8 year old and an infant... I don’t know if I want him working in a grocery store 😬😬

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom