The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Due to the absence of Starbucks in my area due to the Virus restrictive nature of who can be open or not I said the other day I had to order a coffee pot via Amazon. This little baby uses a half a gallon of Distilled Water per pot of coffee. Wooba!DF401A2D-272A-4CC7-A989-90B0D5D74E52.jpeg

Gabe1

Sorry to hear about your DH’s friend.

I am not surprise about places closing for good due to the coronavirus.

Areas that really depend tourism for their economy such as Wisconsin Dells and Door County is something to keep an eye on. Door County on March 18th asked tourists to postpone their travel plans for the next 30 days. Door county wants the travel plans to be postponed because they have capable medical personnel, but staffing is limited and stretched thin during this emergency.

Door County has a bunch of small villages and towns that depend tourism. A lot of Door County past Sturgeon Bay does not have big chains at all.

While Door County has some shops and places are only open seasonally, there there places that are open all year round. Some of the year round places are closed due to the coronavirus. There even are a couple places that I go to for eating supper when I'm Door County that are closed right now. Those two places don't have drive thru or carry out.

And yet some other vacation destinations are overwhelmed. Many wealthy have summer homes in Vermont-Maine. Many are currently holding up in their summer homes that they own and pay taxes on year round though not their primary home. Locals and officials are going off the deep end about them staying in their homes up their to escape what is happening in the NY area. The officials have gone as far to say don't come here. Stay in your primary home. A double edge sword. They payed for their homes up there, they pay taxes 24/7/365 and are official property owners. Townies and Officials say they cannot handle it volume wise. These are summer havens for tourists all summer. Winter not so much.

Gabe1

I wonder when they changed that, because I couldn't start school until I was almost 6. My birthday is in the first half of December, but the cut-off was in September sometime. Over here, the cut-off used to be October, but now it's the end of December, so A is a year younger than most of his classmates. I don't really get the whole cut-off thing..there's no magical point at which a kid is ready when they weren't the day before. It should just be on a case by case basis....some kids skip grades, some kids get held back...why are we so fixated on age when that really has nothing to do with it?

But I thought you had to be 18 to be drafted? My mom told me that her one brother wanted to go to war (WWII) but would have needed their mom's permission and she wouldn't give it. The oldest was already in the army in Europe and the younger wanted to go too, but my grandmother didn't want him to go and needed him home since my mom was so much younger and my grandpa had died when my mom was just 2. The war ended before he was old enough to enlist, just barely.

Law passed in 1987 in Illinois, we were not the first.

Gabe1

Apparently I went to pre-school for two years before going to grade school. I was 17 when I was in college so it would have to be after 1990, the whole age thing started. @Songbird76

It went state by state in their state code. Now in Illinois if your child charts as gifted they can start Kindergarten at age 4. The stupid thing is this gifted code is why I ran for school board originally. It took them 20 years but by gosh they finally got it right. :banghead:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom