Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
scary but possible

Total lockdown should have taken place last week. They're going to wait, unfortunately, until the number of infected becomes scary and they see the exponential growth rate graphs shooting up. But by that time, it'll be too late to stop a spike in deaths.

You don't wait until the curve hits the capacity of the healthcare system to flatten it. It's too late by then.

But sure, quarantine people from NJ and NY, where it's scary, and pretend that shutting down bars, restaurants, and beaches is enough to stop the community spread already growing exponentially in Florida.

Florida's info page....

But you know what's missing? A graph...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
UK has 6,650 cases, which is the tenth highest in the world. There are 335 deaths. That's a rate about half of what it's being said we'd see (0.5% vs 1-1.5%). All things considered, that doesn't seem that bad. Why do you think such extreme measures are needed at this time? I'm not there so I'm really interested in your perspective.
Can't speak directly as I'm not there, but I'd imagine a lot of people taking their own proactive measures to social distance and encouragement by local officials to do so, is what has kept the numbers down to some extent.

Curious to hear @marni1971 take.
Possibly because people didn’t listen to the suggestion to stay at home. At weekend more people were out than normal. It was like a national holiday. The nice weather didn’t help either but basically the idiots ignored the advice so got grounded.

Extreme measures are needed to do what we can. It may not be enough, but when lives are at stake anything is worth trying. I mentioned it earlier that last week our government forecast a quarter of a million deaths in the UK if nothing was done. They tried doing a little and it didn’t work due to the moronic actions of a few. So now they’re doing a lot - and could still go further. In a nutshell they’re trying to lengthen the rate of infection so the health services can cope with a steady stream instead of being swamped. They call it levelling the bell - the attack (for that is what it is) is bell shaped. The top of the bell is the peak of the attack. By flattening the bell you make it wider ( and lengthen the time period) but make the attack slower and less severe.

Lilofan

Florida imposed a 14 day quarantine from anyone flying from NY or NJ to FL.

Obviously, the whole world now needs to impose a 14 day quarantine for anyone flying from FL.

One week from now, Florida will surpass NY in COVID19 cases. In two weeks, death.
Florida isn't Hawaii where it imposed the same quarantine for people flying into Hawaii. Florida didn't think about people driving to Florida, flying from NJ/NY connecting to another city then flying to FL, people arriving in FL via Greyhound and Amtrak? That's not rocket science.

Stripes

Total lockdown should have taken place last week. They're going to wait, unfortunately, until the number of infected becomes scary and they see the exponential growth rate graphs shooting up. But by that time, it'll be too late to stop a spike in deaths.

You don't wait until the curve hits the capacity of the healthcare system to flatten it. It's too late by then.

But sure, quarantine people from NJ and NY, where it's scary, and pretend that shutting down bars, restaurants, and beaches is enough to stop the community spread already growing exponentially in Florida.

Florida's info page....

But you know what's missing? A graph...

While we can expect the growth to be exponential over the coming days (that's just the phase we are in, and totally expected) due to the unwillingness/inability of the FDA to approve non-CDC test kits until relatively recently (perhaps due to legislation, IDK) and the CDC's own test kit failure, testing in this country hasn't been as robust as it should have been. Due to the lack of test kits available even as recent as a few days ago, the growth rate will appear much greater in the data than it actually is. That's because many have already contracted the virus but they haven't been recorded in the data. The reported mortality rate should also decline.

Thankfully testing is ramping up heavily as the FDA has approved test kits from private companies and the CDC and their manufacturing partners increase their own production.

What a nightmare. I think the uncertainty around things like how many people will die, or when things will start getting back to normal is what frustrates me the most.

Patcheslee

FOUR hours of screen time for school? My son is just in kindergarten, so his work doesn’t take long regardless, but when the teacher told us that we would be doing school from home, I let her know that we limit screen time in our house and would prefer an off-line option. Thankfully, they had a paper packet ready for those who don’t have access to the Internet or who otherwise just didn’t want to use it, like us. Asking students to sit in front of a computer for hours a day is crazy! (Not because they wouldn’t want to be on the computer that long, but because excessive screen time is already a big issue for children - and adults! - these days.)
Yes it did seem like a lot, I had her take a 10 minute break each hour to reduce eye strain. She is in 5th so English, Math, History, sometimes Science, daily special class, morning announcements video, and Lexia /iReady daily goals. In the end it took the full school day to complete because of the break times and lunch. I'm concerned for the parents and anyone else helping watch school kids because if they don't have internet access it means sitting in a school parking lot for the Wi-Fi. The only positive I see is she is still expecting "school hours" so her schedule isn't thrown too far off if they return May 1st.

DisneyCane

Florida imposed a 14 day quarantine from anyone flying from NY or NJ to FL.

Obviously, the whole world now needs to impose a 14 day quarantine for anyone flying from FL.

One week from now, Florida will surpass NY in COVID19 cases. In two weeks, death.
The reason behind the quarantine for air travel from NY is to discourage New Yorkers from fleeing the lockdown in NY to stay with friends or relatives in Florida where we haven't infringed on constitutional rights quite as much yet. NY has, by far, the highest case density of any state. Therefore it is much more likely for a given traveler from NY to be infected.

I don't know how you are projecting Florida to be worse than NY in a week. Nowhere in Florida has the population density of NYC which is where a large percentage of the spread has taken place.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

This is pro-WHO, anti-USA, propaganda BS. The WHO that was more concerned about preventing stigmas than virus spread. Go read their tweets from a few weeks ago.

The article pretends that South Korea "flattened the curve" because of testing. The testing is nice because it gives good data but it was the draconian measures they put in place that reduced the spread (but still hasn't stopped it). The same thing would have happened without the broad testing if the same measures were in place.

This virus spreads too easily and has too many asymptomatic/mild cases to stop via quarantine. Testing only matters if quarantine will work or there is a specific treatment for this virus. Hopefully the studies go well and there is a specific treatment soon so testing will matter.

BTW, Guardian, what did Italy do wrong? Compared to population, they aren't even on the same planet as the USA in terms of not preventing the spread. Did they also reject the magic WHO test that has a large false result issue?

Nubs70

This is pro-WHO, anti-USA, propaganda BS. The WHO that was more concerned about preventing stigmas than virus spread. Go read their tweets from a few weeks ago.

The article pretends that South Korea "flattened the curve" because of testing. The testing is nice because it gives good data but it was the draconian measures they put in place that reduced the spread (but still hasn't stopped it). The same thing would have happened without the broad testing if the same measures were in place.

This virus spreads too easily and has too many asymptomatic/mild cases to stop via quarantine. Testing only matters if quarantine will work or there is a specific treatment for this virus. Hopefully the studies go well and there is a specific treatment soon so testing will matter.

BTW, Guardian, what did Italy do wrong? Compared to population, they aren't even on the same planet as the USA in terms of not preventing the spread. Did they also reject the magic WHO test that has a large false result issue?
Just checking, but is that not the.same WHO.that said there was no human to human transmission of Covid 19?

Yankee Mouse

Yes it did seem like a lot, I had her take a 10 minute break each hour to reduce eye strain. She is in 5th so English, Math, History, sometimes Science, daily special class, morning announcements video, and Lexia /iReady daily goals. In the end it took the full school day to complete because of the break times and lunch. I'm concerned for the parents and anyone else helping watch school kids because if they don't have internet access it means sitting in a school parking lot for the Wi-Fi. The only positive I see is she is still expecting "school hours" so her schedule isn't thrown too far off if they return May 1st.

At least you are getting something. My daughter's (3rd grade) school closed on March 13th, and the governor just closed schools for the rest of the year, which would have ended in June. The school district said they won't do any online teaching till April 14th when their original spring break was supposed to end, that is a month with no structure. In the meantime they gave us a bunch of links some of which you can't even access unless you are a teacher or had an account setup before the school closed. We are doing our best to have some structure for her but it isn't easy and extremely frustrating that the district has just left people hanging like this.

durangojim

So do we think Flower and Garden will be extended? I don't know that the flowers could last in the heat but I would think the food both could remain. I saw that California Adventure had extended their festival.

Lilofan

So do we think Flower and Garden will be extended? I don't know that the flowers could last in the heat but I would think the food both could remain. I saw that California Adventure had extended their festival.
I don't think it could be realistic anymore. If Disney opens up during the summer, the guests that still have jobs and money and visit the parks would probably make a beeline straight to Epcot Food and Wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom