Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Ariel

This is why I’m so curious about how a large amount of people will handle their kids. My neighborhood is pretty much split. Half allowing kids to play, as in riding bikes or scooters with strict rules to not touch each other..Yesterday, as it was the first nice day...the other half not allowing their kids around any other kids at all.

Interestingly, the families who aren’t allowing it (in my neighborhood) are the ones who have 2-4 kids, relatively close in age. The ones who are allowing it either have an only child, or children with much older college aged siblings.

We have many families with school aged kids on our street, and not once this week have I seen groups of kids out together at all. DD and I have been taking daily walks (working on some PT skills like running during this time she has no private therapy or school therapy), and our neighborhood has been a ghost town. All cars are home, everyone is teleworking. Kids have played in their own yards, families have gone on walks themselves in their own family group only, but it’s all very sporadic - no outside-of-family group interactions.

Gillyanne

21stamps

We have many families with school aged kids on our street, and not once this week have I seen groups of kids out together at all. DD and I have been taking daily walks (working on some PT skills like running during this time she has no private therapy or school therapy), and our neighborhood has been a ghost town. All cars are home, everyone is teleworking. Kids have played in their own yards, families have gone on walks themselves in their own family group only, but it’s all very sporadic - no outside-of-family group interactions.

Wow. This frightens me so much if my neighborhood were to go to something like that, especially if the schools stay closed longer which is looking more and more likely, and sports being canceled longer.
I worry about the effects on children that this will have. Especially kids who are very active and involved in a lot of extracurriculars and do not have other siblings close in age at home. They need interaction with other children. They are already upset over this absolute upheaval of their lives, and without that face-to-face human interaction I just worry so much about kids sinking in some kind of depression.

As of now, I would say the people who are letting their kids around other children are being very responsible. Like I said not large groups playing basketball or on trampolines or playing sports or tag, just pretty much limited to next-door neighbors in each others yards under strict rules, And then yesterday were 4 to 5 kids rode bikes and scooters for a little while. I know that did so much good for them even though it wasn’t their normal congregating together, The bike ride alone lifted my kid’s spirit so much, and I talked to a couple of other parents who did the same for theirs. I don’t know how many more people will decide to be afraid of that though.

Josh Hendy

Gee whiz ... a friend in Vancouver Canada told me her retired colleague went to the dentist just this past week for a checkup. The hygienist who cleaned his teeth was feeling sick but was working anyways. Within a couple of days he was feeling sick too, and the guy and his wife have now BOTH tested positive for Corona.

How many patients did that one hygienist spread Corona to, between when she caught it and when an angry patient finally called the dentist and told them to $%#$$ shut it down?

Pretty expensive checkup.

LittleBuford

Relevant to the discussion about children:

Are kids' play dates OK?
Millions of American parents are now trying to figure out how to work from home — while also tending to kids whose schools are closed to combat the spread of the coronavirus. Play dates seem like an obvious solution to help little ones burn off energy while you get some work done. But while the CDC didn't offer any official guidance here, several experts say play dates may defeat the purpose of everyone hunkering down.​
"I'm personally taking a really strict line," says pediatrician Lindsay Thompson of the University of Florida. "I would say that play dates inherently have a risk — I don't know how big or small. But if we can put them off for a few weeks and replace it with family time, it would be better."​
She notes that elementary school-age kids get about five viral infections a season on average. "If they're playing with three or four friends, each one would be about to have, had or is getting over a viral illness that they could then, unfortunately, share," she says. And at this moment, she says, it's not just the coronavirus that's a concern, but any virus that might lead a child to need medical attention. That's because you want to avoid doctor's visits if you can, both to avoid possibly getting infected with the coronavirus and to avoid overloading the health care system.​
What's more, symptoms of COVID-19 on average take five days to show up from the time of infection — but a person can still pass it on to other people during that time. So while it might be tempting to have one or two kids over, don't do it, says Dr. Asaf Bitton, a primary care physician and public health researcher affiliated with Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.​
"Someone who comes over looking well can transmit the virus," Bitton wrote in a widely shared essay posted on Medium. But "even if you choose only one friend to have over, you are creating new links and possibilities for the type of transmission that all of our school/work/public event closures are trying to prevent," he wrote.​
Dr. Jenny Radesky, a developmental behavioral pediatrician at the University of Michigan, says the goal is for parents to limit exposure, period. "My guidance right now to families is, as much as possible, do not have your kids in other people's houses. Do not have other people's kids in your house. There are times where for child care arrangements or for absolute necessity, you need to have one or two or more kids together. But if at all possible, really just keep kids at home."​
What about playing outside with other kids or going to the park?
If you do let your kids outside to play with others, make sure the children keep at least 6 feet of distance from other children (which can be very hard for younger children to abide by). That's because the virus can be transmitted between people who are in close contact with each other -- about a 6-foot radius. "We're avoiding playgrounds and other places that germs can accumulate," Radesky says.​

21stamps

Are kids' play dates OK?
Millions of American parents are now trying to figure out how to work from home — while also tending to kids whose schools are closed to combat the spread of the coronavirus. Play dates seem like an obvious solution to help little ones burn off energy while you get some work done. But while the CDC didn't offer any official guidance here, several experts say play dates may defeat the purpose of everyone hunkering down.​
"I'm personally taking a really strict line," says pediatrician Lindsay Thompson of the University of Florida. "I would say that play dates inherently have a risk — I don't know how big or small. But if we can put them off for a few weeks and replace it with family time, it would be better."​
She notes that elementary school-age kids get about five viral infections a season on average. "If they're playing with three or four friends, each one would be about to have, had or is getting over a viral illness that they could then, unfortunately, share," she says. And at this moment, she says, it's not just the coronavirus that's a concern, but any virus that might lead a child to need medical attention. That's because you want to avoid doctor's visits if you can, both to avoid possibly getting infected with the coronavirus and to avoid overloading the health care system.​
What's more, symptoms of COVID-19 on average take five days to show up from the time of infection — but a person can still pass it on to other people during that time. So while it might be tempting to have one or two kids over, don't do it, says Dr. Asaf Bitton, a primary care physician and public health researcher affiliated with Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.​
"Someone who comes over looking well can transmit the virus," Bitton wrote in a widely shared essay posted on Medium. But "even if you choose only one friend to have over, you are creating new links and possibilities for the type of transmission that all of our school/work/public event closures are trying to prevent," he wrote.​
Dr. Jenny Radesky, a developmental behavioral pediatrician at the University of Michigan, says the goal is for parents to limit exposure, period. "My guidance right now to families is, as much as possible, do not have your kids in other people's houses. Do not have other people's kids in your house. There are times where for child care arrangements or for absolute necessity, you need to have one or two or more kids together. But if at all possible, really just keep kids at home."​
If you do let your kids outside to play with others, make sure the children keep at least 6 feet of distance from other children (which can be very hard for younger children to abide by). That's because the virus can be transmitted between people who are in close contact with each other -- about a 6-foot radius. "We're avoiding playgrounds and other places that germs can accumulate," Radesky says.​

I’m sure that you realize that it’s much easier to type such a thing, than it is to look at a kid who went from 5 days per week of school and 6-7 days per week of sports to being home 24 hours a day, without seeing classmates or teammates... and tell the kid “No, you can’t play Around the World with our next-door neighbor.”

Parents are trying to make the best decisions for their children. I personally can’t imagine what I would feel like if this would have happened to me when I was a kid. I assume that I would also be as sad, frustrated, and scared, as many kids are right now. I would hope that my parents would pay attention to what the “experts” were saying, but also be the expert on what was best for me.

ImperfectPixie

I’m sure that you realize that it’s much easier to type such a thing, than it is to look at a kid who went from 5 days per week of school and 7 days per week of sports to being home 24 hours a day, without seeing classmates or teammates... and tell the kid “No, you can’t play Around the World with our next-door neighbor.”

Parents are trying to make the best decisions for their children. I personally can’t imagine what I would feel like if this would have happened to me when I was a kid. I assume that I would also be as sad, frustrated, and scared, as many kids are right now.
No one said this is easy. Or that it's supposed to be easy. 6 feet is the minimum suggested distance, and even kids on bikes are closer together than that.

21stamps

No one said this is easy. Or that it's supposed to be easy. 6 feet is the minimum suggested distance, and even kids on bikes are closer together than that.

I think every parent needs to make their own decision regarding this, and respect that not everyone will make the same decision. I didn’t measure the exact feet of the distance of the bikes, but they aren’t within a couple of feet of each other. Even without a coronavirus scare, they’re supposed to give space in case the one in front of them stops.

DavidS1234

So, I dunno about anyone else, but I don't see this whole thing being over and back to normal by the end of the month. I'm curious why The Mouse hasn't pushed the open date out much further. Even if all cases were to stop tomorrow, there would still be issues with adequate staffing at this point... not to mention guest attendance. Are they planning on some kind of super expensive reserved tour experience only for groups less than 10 to start on April 1?

Disstevefan1

W

Are kids' play dates OK?

Gee, when I was a kid parents were faulted for letting us watch too much TV, they called it the Tube. Until this thing is over we NEED the Tube..... and the YouTube for that matter 😀

ImperfectPixie

2 mile walk uphill moment.jpeg

21stamps

The sooner we all realise that we have to make some difficult adjustments for the common good, the quicker this will be over for everyone.

You’re not getting it. This whole thing is difficult. I realize that you don’t have kids at home, and that those who do have differing opinions on this, and that all kids are going to have differing levels of social interactions and extracurriculars prior to this social distancing .. but everyone needs to understand that so many kids are feeling the brunt of this. It is difficult, so difficult, for so many. These kids who have been training for months for their spring sports, now have their seasons interrupted and tournaments cancelled without even getting to play their first game. The emotional impact of that, combined with seclusion.. it’s something that you can talk about, but you can’t know what it feels like..I don’t even know what it feels like, I can just imagine..I can just watch my child feel it.
2 next door neighbor kids, playing outside with each other, as in basketball shooting games or soccer training activities with their own balls and cones and space, not tackling and touching, are not going to be posing a great risk to society. Each parent needs to make their own judgement call on if they will allow it or not. Personally, I will, for the emotional health & well being of my child. I do not judge parents who won’t allow it. I can only do what I feel is best for my own.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I don’t have kids so it doesn’t apply to me... but I’m not seeing anything suggesting people can’t see each other. No large groups should gather. I think 2 families are allowed to have a meal together are they not?

We are not told to put ourselves in solitary confinement!

Calmdownnow

These kids who have been training for months for their spring sports, now have their seasons interrupted and tournaments cancelled without even getting to play their first game. The emotional impact of that, combined with seclusion.. it’s something that you can talk about, but you can’t know what it feels like.
Yes, it is sad for them. Just as it's sad for anyone who has an early disappointment in life. But kids -- and people generally -- are resilient with the right support. Missing a sports season, or temporarily missing contact with friends, does not compare with the grievous and permanent loss of losing loved ones before their time.

durangojim

Wow. This frightens me so much if my neighborhood were to go to something like that, especially if the schools stay closed longer which is looking more and more likely, and sports being canceled longer.
I worry about the effects on children that this will have. Especially kids who are very active and involved in a lot of extracurriculars and do not have other siblings close in age at home. They need interaction with other children. They are already upset over this absolute upheaval of their lives, and without that face-to-face human interaction I just worry so much about kids sinking in some kind of depression.

As of now, I would say the people who are letting their kids around other children are being very responsible. Like I said not large groups playing basketball or on trampolines or playing sports or tag, just pretty much limited to next-door neighbors in each others yards under strict rules, And then yesterday were 4 to 5 kids rode bikes and scooters for a little while. I know that did so much good for them even though it wasn’t their normal congregating together, The bike ride alone lifted my kid’s spirit so much, and I talked to a couple of other parents who did the same for theirs. I don’t know how many more people will decide to be afraid of that though.
One thing about today is that the technology allows kids to be together in ways we never imagined. I don’t think it’s as good as being face to face but at the same time I don’t think they feel like they’re missing out as much as kids from my generation would have, right or wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom