News PHOTOS - Construction on some new projects comes to a halt at Walt Disney World

BromBones

Limiting the size of construction crews outside shouldn't even be an issue.
As long as they aren't in an enclosed space it should be fine.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Work has indeed been halted for the repainting of Cinderella's Castle. Yesterday around noon there wasn't a crew there nor was there one at 10:30 this morning.
Strangely that seems to be one of the ones that would appear like it could carry on. There seemed to typical bye two people per high reach, and about 7 lifts in total. Pretty good spacing.

celluloid

I predict it is possible the Chinese parks to be partially owned or operated by the Walt Disney Company much longer. Fat to be trimmed.

Last edited:

BromBones

This is significant. Once the actual pandemic is over, we will be left with the economic fallout. Most of these projects are so far along they cannot be canceled, so massive budget cuts are probably next, leaving us with a watered down product.

If it were safe to work now, they could push through and get as much done as possible before the economy hits rock bottom.

I think that once this thing is over there is going to be a massive economic boom. Remember, Things were going full tilt for years.
Once the chains are off people are going to be socializing, traveling, partying and buying like crazy.
People are buying groceries like crazy now, but after this is over people will just go out simply to go out, because they can.
As the stock market is dropping investors are buying the hell out of the low shares and once it is all over the stock market will explode with all of the reinvestment.
This summer will be amazing I believe.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Shutting down feels more like a PR move. Disney took a hit in some corners for not closing sooner and having those weekend crowds. "Here's Disney Forcing People to Work" headlines with accompanying drone photos would have arguably been unfair but certainly would have been viewed negatively by many.

celluloid

I think that once this thing is over there is going to be a massive economic boom. Remember, Things were going full tilt for years.
Once the chains are off people are going to be socializing, traveling, partying and buying like crazy.
People are buying groceries like crazy now, but after this is over people will just go out simply to go out, because they can.
As the stock market is dropping investors are buying the hell out of the low shares and once it is all over the stock market will explode with all of the reinvestment.

Hopefully you are right. Hopefully people have money and did not have to reschedule far and replan a savings to do so.

Jon81uk

That's probably 18 months away really before people can really travel long distances, I think there will be far more people unemployed with no money than those who will be looking to go on a spending spree. Maybe the parks will re-open at some point in 2020, but I don't see international guests attending this year and although current construction (Tron, Rat, Guardians) will likely be completed, its going to be like the 9/11 aftermath with nothing new for years now.

skiir97

...although current construction (Tron, Rat, Guardians) will likely be completed, its going to be like the 9/11 aftermath with nothing new for years now.

What are the odds that they just cancel EPCOT's renovation (like cancel the demolition of the Innovations and building the coffee table)?

MaryJaneP

Yeah, just ask the generation that survived the great depression. Drinks for everyone.

_caleb

I still think Disney will come up with a way to continue the work in a way that does not endanger workers during the closure (although it might be at much slower pace). As has been mentioned, they've already spent a lot of the money towards these projects, and halting construction completely is a huge waste. Honestly, us watching daily for signs of progress doesn't help, as Disney is not looking for headlines that read, "Disney putting contractors' at risk by forcing them to work during outbreak closure!"

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I still think Disney will come up with a way to continue the work in a way that does not endanger workers during the closure (although it might be at much slower pace). As has been mentioned, they've already spent a lot of the money towards these projects, and halting construction completely is a huge waste. Honestly, us watching daily for signs of progress doesn't help, as Disney is not looking for headlines that read, "Disney putting contractors' at risk by forcing them to work during outbreak closure!"
I'm not sure how much say Disney even have in this. The large projects are being built by huge construction companies who have their own set of rules and regulations on when/where and how they work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom