News PHOTOS - Construction on some new projects comes to a halt at Walt Disney World

_caleb

I'm not sure how much say Disney even have in this. The large projects are being built by huge construction companies who have their own set of rules and regulations on when/where and how they work.
I agree. And even those large companies don't even have 100% say because of negotiations with labor unions. But all business are going to start looking for ways to keep people working during the economic fallout of the pandemic, so I could imagine something being sorted out. Eventually, people will be willing to sign waivers just to work.

BromBones

That's probably 18 months away really before people can really travel long distances, I think there will be far more people unemployed with no money than those who will be looking to go on a spending spree. Maybe the parks will re-open at some point in 2020, but I don't see international guests attending this year and although current construction (Tron, Rat, Guardians) will likely be completed, its going to be like the 9/11 aftermath with nothing new for years now.
I reiterate "some see the glass as half full...some see it as half empty"

JoeCamel

I agree. And even those large companies don't even have 100% say because of negotiations with labor unions. But all business are going to start looking for ways to keep people working during the economic fallout of the pandemic, so I could imagine something being sorted out. Eventually, people will be willing to sign waivers just to work.
My first read through of your post my brain thought you were saying that people would be sign wavers just to work.... My brain.

fngoofy

That's probably 18 months away really before people can really travel long distances, I think there will be far more people unemployed with no money than those who will be looking to go on a spending spree. Maybe the parks will re-open at some point in 2020, but I don't see international guests attending this year and although current construction (Tron, Rat, Guardians) will likely be completed, its going to be like the 9/11 aftermath with nothing new for years now.
Agree. We are going to have waves of this pass around the world. If it doesn't mutate and if the antigens people who have had it can protect them, then you will start to see a slow ramp up. As someone else said, the WDW complex will start back slow, MK and DHS first, then AK then EPCOT.
We've got a long way to go though. It will really take a vaccine to get us all the way back.
Then we have the rebuilding of economy.

BromBones

Well the crews need to get there, etc. It's about big picture safety, not just on site safety.
Driving in your own car is quite removed from the public. I think Disney may be over reacting a bit on this one.
This is not as bad as the media is making it out to be.

Giss Neric

I'm okay with construction delays and opening delays but I do hope Ratatouille/France expansion and Harmonius will still debut this year at Epcot. It doesn't matter if it moves to fall instead of summer.

skiir97

Anyone who thinks things will go back to normal is kidding themselves...nothing will be the same anymore.

Pretty sure this is what a lot of people were saying in '08. Up's and Down's throughout history have happened consistently and humans have always found a way to recover (maybe not always fast, but eventually)

DVCakaCarlF

You think these corporations will hire back all the people that were laid off? Do you think Disney will continue to spend CapEx? They are going to have to recover before any spike in hiring or spending happens. Is anyone here all of a sudden going to go on vacation next month? Have you looked at your retirement fund?

I worked through blood and tears through 08, 09, and so on. I know what it’s like not to get paid, to feel helpless, and tell people there’s no work this week.

It will get better, but it’s not going to be the same, like it was last week, for a while.

I pray that I’m wrong, and that the economy bounces like they say it will.

Giss Neric

I worked through blood and tears through 08, 09, and so on. I know what it’s like not to get paid, to feel helpless, and tell people there’s no work this week.
Now I know where you're mindset is coming from. I don't know how people could persevere through blood and tears. I fortunately am at a job where it doesn't really feel like work but still pays more than enough or else I would certainly be out of there. I am still working full time at home so there's that. If you're miserable at your job and you have felt being helpless at one point then you might want to make changes ASAP.

Your comments, whether in this thread or other threads, always have always been negative.

seascape

You think these corporations will hire back all the people that were laid off? Do you think Disney will continue to spend CapEx? They are going to have to recover before any spike in hiring or spending happens. Is anyone here all of a sudden going to go on vacation next month? Have you looked at your retirement fund?

It will get better, but it’s not going to be the same, like it was last week, for a while.

I pray that I’m wrong, and that the economy bounces like they say it will.
I started working during the late 1970s and went through the massive stagflation of Jimmy Carter's Administration followed by the recession of 1981 and then finally started a nice career. Those of us who stared then also went through several other minor recessions and then the second major recession 2008. We finally made it through and believed we were set in our retirement, adderall no other generation went through 2 major recessions like we had. Well now we have Covid19 and something that looks as bad or worse than the great depression. I am in full agreement with you. Sime people don't understand how bad inflation is. How hard the early 1980s recession in. Some have forgotten 2001 and I know it's hard to believe the great recession.

celluloid

I started working during the late 1970s and went through the massive stagflation of Jimmy Carter's Administration followed by the recession of 1981 and then finally started a nice career. Those of us who stared then also went through several other minor recessions and then the second major recession 2008. We finally made it through and believed we were set in our retirement, adderall no other generation went through 2 major recessions like we had. Well now we have Covid19 and something that looks as bad or worse than the great depression. I am in full agreement with you. Sime people don't understand how bad inflation is. How hard the early 1980s recession in. Some have forgotten 2001 and I know it's hard to believe the great recession.

We are also so much more dependent on China and globally other areas than ever before. For better or for worse, it has changed as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom