Stop hoarding! YOU are the problem!

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
IF....if....if my title fits, only then are YOU the problem.
It's a catchy title though, correct?
Yet I'm totally serious and somewhat annoyed with what I witnessed first hand this morning. It was indeed just like what I'd heard from others and on the news.
In life I typically buy one package of 40 count bottled water at Costco. We don't drink it at home but none of the three of us are home for lunch Mon. - Fri. so we take it with us on work days. Historically when our household supply gets down to 10 or less I go to Costco and buy more. That's where we are at as a household today, so knowing that people are crazy worried, I went to Costco 40 minutes before they opened and was maybe the 35th person standing in line outside the store.
Sure enough, after I obtained my one package of bottled water(Costco's brand was not available so I got Poland Spring 40 count) I saw people buying the maximum amount Costco was allowing per customer. FIVE. The quick and easy math is five 40 count packs comes to 200 bottled waters. Almost everyone was buying themselves five 40 count packages..... enough water to last until August!
THEY are the problem. If you are doing that then you are the problem too.
STOP IT!
If people just proceeded with their normal purchasing habits as per usual, there would be no need for me to get in a line to enter the store 40 minutes before its posted opening time.
Seriously people, calm down!

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Yet I'm totally serious and somewhat annoyed with what I witnessed first hand this morning. It was indeed just like what I'd heard from others and on the news.
In life I typically buy one package of 50 count bottled water at Costco. We don't drink it at home but none of the three of us are home for lunch Mon. - Fri. so we take it with us on work days. Historically when our household supply gets down to 10 or less I go to Costco and buy more. That's where we are at as a household today, so knowing that people are crazy worried, I went to Costco 40 minutes before they opened and was maybe the 35th person in line.
Sure enough, after I obtained my one package of bottled water(Costco's brand was not available so I got Poland Spring 40 count) I saw people buying the maximum amount Costco was allowing per customer. FIVE. The quick and easy math is five 40 count packs comes to 200 bottled waters. Almost everyone was buying themselves 5 40 count packages..... enough water to last until August!
STOP IT!
If people just proceeded in their purchasing habits as per usual, there would be no need for me to get in a line 40 minutes early.
This is what I bought this morning....20200314_091435_HDR.jpg

DisAl

In life I typically buy one package of 50 count bottled water at Costco. We don't drink it at home but none of the three of us are home for lunch Mon. - Fri. so we take it with us on work days. Historically when our household supply gets down to 10 or less I go to Costco and buy more. That's where we are at as a household today, so knowing that people are crazy worried, I went to Costco 40 minutes before they opened and was maybe the 35th person in line.
Sure enough, after I obtained my one package of bottled water(Costco's brand was not available so I got Poland Spring 40 count) I saw people buying the maximum amount Costco was allowing per customer. FIVE. The quick and easy math is five 40 count packs comes to 200 bottled waters. Almost everyone was buying themselves five 40 count packages..... enough water to last until August!
STOP IT!
If people just proceeded in their purchasing habits as per usual, there would be no need for me to get in a line to enter the store 40 minutes early.
You are correct. The problem is most people don't prepare, they panic. Unless you are away from home you don't need bottled water anyway! So why purchase so much of something you don't even need?

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Flu statistics for this year. Over 220,000 flu cases. 22,000 deaths. 144 kids died of the flu this year. Where has the flu panicking been?We need to keep our perspective on things.
38,800 people lost their lives in America last year due to auto accidents.
I think when 2020 is said and done the number of tragic auto deaths will be markedly higher due to people driving recklessly on their way to purchase 200 water bottles.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I'm very much annoyed as well.
I wasn't worried about toilet paper until the other day when people starting buying out the stores.
Went to Aldi yesterday just to get some hamburger rolls and carrots and the shelves were empty!
I'm confused as to why its being treated like a natural disaster.
Why are people buying cases of water all the sudden?
Tap water is still going to be available and safe to drink.
And why are you buying up all the batteries and flash lights?
The power will remain on even if you aren't able to pay the bill. (at least in my state).
The other day I went out to grab an extra toothpaste and deodorant mostly just because both were half gone.
I also brought some capri's while I was out because its the season to buy them here.
I am just trying to be a normal person that gets things they need for dinner etc and I can't because the whole world has gone crazy.

Rista1313

So..... even though people don't understand the TP hoarding, you do want to make sure you have an ample amount in case you are quarantined for 14 days. But I agree, media has got this world in such a panic, and Americans are crazy (yes I'm American) that they feel like they need to overbuy. Water, I don't understand, because it comes from the tap, and that's not going to stop. As I said to Steve earlier, I also don't understand the need for buying water to bring with you for lunches. Buy refillable water bottles, and fill them from your tap and put them in your lunch. :🤷: I bring a liter refillable water bottle with me to work every day. Not that we don't have water at work, we do, I just don't like the taste of our water at work.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
So..... even though people don't understand the TP hoarding, you do want to make sure you have an ample amount in case you are quarantined for 14 days. But I agree, media has got this world in such a panic, and Americans are crazy (yes I'm American) that they feel like they need to overbuy. Water, I don't understand, because it comes from the tap, and that's not going to stop. As I said to Steve earlier, I also don't understand the need for buying water to bring with you for lunches. Buy refillable water bottles, and fill them from your tap and put them in your lunch. :🤷: I bring a liter refillable water bottle with me to work every day. Not that we don't have water at work, we do, I just don't like the taste of our water at work.
Some people don't like the taste of their water from the kitchen sink. It's great that you do.

Rista1313

And....sure....I COULD use your idea of going out to buy 3 refillable water bottles and then use the filtered water from my refrigerator. Carry that back and forth every day. Clean it. Etc. I could do that. I don't want to though😉

Instead you want to keep using plastic we aren't recycling as a country right now?

eta: don't get me wrong... I'm not granola, or tree hugging, but I have adopted a few practices of those types of people!

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Instead you want to keep using plastic we aren't recycling as a country right now?

eta: don't get me wrong... I'm not granola, or tree hugging, but I have adopted a few practices of those types of people!
My town collects empty water bottles in the recycling containers. That always made me think that they are indeed being recycled.

Rista1313

My town collects empty water bottles in the recycling containers. That always made me think that they are indeed being recycled.

You would think right? This is an older article, but there are many out there.. I had no idea about this until last year... but we actually sent our recycling to china and THEY took care of it... they are no longer doing that, and America has struggled to figure out what to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom