Stop hoarding! YOU are the problem!

Tony the Tigger

Flu statistics for this year. Over 220,000 flu cases. 22,000 deaths. 144 kids died of the flu this year. Where has the flu panicking been?We need to keep our perspective on things.
38,800 people lost their lives in America last year due to auto accidents.
I think when 2020 is said and done the number of tragic auto deaths will be markedly higher due to people driving recklessly on their way to purchase 200 water bottles.
Friends, these examples are not remotely comparable.

I bought 10 heads of lettuce and 8 of kale does that count as hoarding?;)
My God! What will the rabbits eat?! 🐇

RobWDW1971

Friends, these examples are not remotely comparable.
Why not? I don't remember people wearing black armbands during the 2017-2018 flu season when over 60,000 Americans died of the flu - the same targets, the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions.

But now, somehow THESE elderly and those with pre-existing conditions are sacred. Where was all this empathy two years ago?

Nearly 90% of the cases are mild meaning no hospitalization needed and in more advanced countries like South Korea the fatality rate is trending to less than 1%.

So why are we not upset about just passing 20,000 flu deaths this year again?

HouCuseChickie

I think I may have figured out some of why this is happening...or at least some of it. The term "social distancing" seems to be up for interpretation. I have a number of friends who are in full blown panic mode who interpret this as what I'd describe as quarantine/lock down and will shred anyone who leaves their homes. So, I suspect they are partly to blame for the TP hoarding. No, they are no longer going out to buy it on their own, but they are buying into the people who line up at 6am to buy things at stores without limits.

Tony the Tigger

Why not? I don't remember people wearing black armbands during the 2017-2018 flu season when over 60,000 Americans died of the flu - the same targets, the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions.

But now, somehow THESE elderly and those with pre-existing conditions are sacred. Where was all this empathy two years ago?

Nearly 90% of the cases are mild meaning no hospitalization needed and in more advanced countries like South Korea the fatality rate is trending to less than 1%.

So why are we not upset about just passing 20,000 flu deaths this year again?

Are you serious? First of all, who is talking about empathy? Of course we have empathy for people who die of the flu, and of course we take precautions every year, especially when we hear it's worse than usual. But it's still a "known quantity" in that we expect it will happen.

Two huge differences with coronavirus (for now.) And they are obvious. One: No vaccine. Two: No treatment.

With the flu, you've got a chance. Two chances, actually, and then some of the responsibility is on you - for example, you choose whether or not to get the vaccine. You choose (if you have insurance) whether to go to the doctor and get tamiflu to lessen the effects.

Three: when was the last time the flu shut down Italy and Spain? Do you think that's done for empathy? No. It's done to prevent deaths and spread. It is spreading faster than the flu, and the death rate is many times higher than the flu.

Four: you can be infected, carrying, and spreading many days before you feel any symptoms, possibly up to two weeks.

Five: you're comparing numbers of deaths from full or nearly full seasons of the flu vs. just the tip of this coronavirus. Give it a minute, the numbers will go up, especially because we were unconscionably slow to respond at the outset for, of all things, political reasons and/or stupidity.

Again, this is not in a vacuum. Look at Italy. In one week, they went from 3000 infected to nearly 20,000 infected and 1,500 dead, plus total lockdown and no slowdown. How often does that happen with the flu?

So seriously, just stop it with that comparison.

I suspect, if this bug sticks around, next year when we (should) have vaccines and/or treatment, the response to it will look more like the flu. But right now our only protection is our own immune systems, and those of us with good ones have an obligation to protect those without good ones, and not just run around without a care distributing the virus.

Few are making too much of this. We're just not feeling the effects yet, and some of us are looking ahead to what may/is likely to follow in the coming weeks.

John park hopper

I think people have come to expect life should be without risk. Unfortunately it is not we die from disease, self inflicted wars, accidents, famine, natural disasters the list goes on and on. The coronavirus s just another blip in humanities struggle to survive
I bought 10 heads of lettuce and 8 of kale does that count as hoarding?;)
Two heads are better than 1 don't know about 10 that may be over kill

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I think people have come to the expect life should be without risk. Unfortunately it is not we die from disease, self inflicted wars, accidents, famine, natural disasters the list goes on and on. The coronavirus s just another blip in humanities struggle to survive

Two heads are better than i don't know about 10 that may be over kill
We've already used the fist 2 heads of lettuce and I'm going to cook with at least 2 heads of kale today

RobWDW1971

Are you serious? First of all, who is talking about empathy? Of course we have empathy for people who die of the flu, and of course we take precautions every year, especially when we hear it's worse than usual. But it's still a "known quantity" in that we expect it will happen.

Two huge differences with coronavirus (for now.) And they are obvious. One: No vaccine. Two: No treatment.

With the flu, you've got a chance. Two chances, actually, and then some of the responsibility is on you - for example, you choose whether or not to get the vaccine. You choose (if you have insurance) whether to go to the doctor and get tamiflu to lessen the effects.

Three: when was the last time the flu shut down Italy and Spain? Do you think that's done for empathy? No. It's done to prevent deaths and spread. It is spreading faster than the flu, and the death rate is many times higher than the flu.

Four: you can be infected, carrying, and spreading many days before you feel any symptoms, possibly up to two weeks.

Five: you're comparing numbers of deaths from full or nearly full seasons of the flu vs. just the tip of this coronavirus. Give it a minute, the numbers will go up, especially because we were unconscionably slow to respond at the outset for, of all things, political reasons and/or stupidity.

Again, this is not in a vacuum. Look at Italy. In one week, they went from 3000 infected to nearly 20,000 infected and 1,500 dead, plus total lockdown and no slowdown. How often does that happen with the flu?

So seriously, just stop it with that comparison.

I suspect, if this bug sticks around, next year when we (should) have vaccines and/or treatment, the response to it will look more like the flu. But right now our only protection is our own immune systems, and those of us with good ones have an obligation to protect those without good ones, and not just run around without a care distributing the virus.

Few are making too much of this. We're just not feeling the effects yet, and some of us are looking ahead to what may/is likely to follow in the coming weeks.
All of that is true, and? Let's say 1 million people get it in the US and the fatality rate is 2%. That means 20,000 elderly and the majority with pre-existing conditions will die. OK. We've had that many die in that category already this year.

Let's say 3 million get it and 2% die - that's 60,000 dead and still less than the 2018 flu season. And?

This virus is affecting the very people who die by the tens of thousands every year of the flu and I doubt you posted such passionate warnings every single year or stayed home in 2018.

This isn't even like the Swine Flu that was affecting younger people. This virus is NOT killing young and healthy people (who ironically tend be the most panicked).

Millions around the world will get this, 90% will have a mild case and need no hospitalization, and 1-3% based on the country's medical quality will die with majority being elderly and those with pre-existing conditions. The same group that is dying of cancer, flu, diabetes, heart conditions, etc. every single year in massive numbers.

And?

(Oh, and BTW, I'm old)

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

My kid has an orthodontist appointment coming up. Getting adjustments hurts. We are out of children’s advil. It is out of stock everywhere now. I had to order from a third party from Walmart. For the heck of it I checked on things like children’s cough syrup and gummy immune support vitamins. Out of stock everywhere! Cannot even get it delivered. Not available till the end of the month at Amazon. Have people just gotten completely irrational???

StarWarsGirl

My kid has an orthodontist appointment coming up. Getting adjustments hurts. We are out of children’s advil. It is out of stock everywhere now. I had to order from a third party from Walmart. For the heck of it I checked on things like children’s cough syrup and gummy immune support vitamins. Out of stock everywhere! Cannot even get it delivered. Not available till the end of the month at Amazon. Have people just gotten completely irrational???
I think you should be okay just giving her one of the adult version. I think. That's what my mom used to give me and I'm fine. Mostly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom