Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It's terrible and it's been disheartening to watch.
I often think of Carl Sagan, I was and am a big fan of his.
He loved humanity and held out hope for a more enlightened species.
It's not happening unfortunately.
Charlatans simply find new ways to peddle their wares, and people find new ways to absorb that.

Like toothpaste that is a cure for COVID-19?

ImperfectPixie

It's terrible and it's been disheartening to watch.
I often think of Carl Sagan, I was and am a big fan of his.
He loved humanity and held out hope for a more enlightened species.
It's not happening unfortunately.
Charlatans simply find new ways to peddle their wares, and people find new ways to absorb that.
The ones that bother me the most are drug commercials advising people to ASK YOUR DOCTOR!!! Because drug companies are so trustworthy.

Incomudro

The flat earth thing really puzzles me because if you go out onto the ocean, you can literally SEE that the world isn't flat.

I was watching a Planet Earth show with one of my son's last night, which showed satellite imagery of the Earth.
I remarked to my son, about how there are actually people out there who believe such imagery is faked for some conspiratorial reason or other.

DisneyDebRob

You don't believe there is life on other planet's somewhere in the Universe?
We are getting way off topic here. This is a discussion for the sub forums. Quickly answering your question, I did not say there is NOT possible life in some form on other planets.with most astronomers estimating one exoplanet per star.. ours has 8, some have none.also estimated there are billions of worlds beyond our solar system, there’s a good chance of some life form. Hope that answers what you were asking.

ToTBellHop

I think best case scenario is opening in 6 weeks. And that is best case.
Everything would have to go very well. If I were going in April, I’d wait a few days for phone wait times to calm a bit and then cancel. Obviously the only people who should be calling today are March travelers (imagine those poor CMs dealing with irate guests waiting several hours, in part, because people traveling in October are calling to cancel or request free upgrades).

Jwink

Reposting from another thread:

At present, it is expected that WDW will close longer than two weeks but they weren’t lying--they will continually re-evaluate. I was led to believe Memorial Day is an optimistic estimate with the caveat that we truly have no way of knowing how this disease will spread, the impact of nationwide efforts, and the eventual development of herd immunity, which will finally put this to bed, optimistically, in a year.

These next few weeks are critical.
People really expecting them to pay employees all the way until the end of May?

LAKid53

Premium Member
I see Disney is extending our APs the number of days the parks are closed. Any word of they will do the same with TiW?

LAKid53

Premium Member
And this is how it’s done.

We do this now, hope to delay and flatten, and (of course, it’s partially a business decision) save the summer travel season in Florida and (especially) Europe.

But, again, April is unrealistic.

This is going to be a blow to the Florida economy if WDW is closed for 2 months. FL Legislature is in session right now and session is scheduled to end today.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well today has been an absolutely exhausting day. 30 minutes after I got out of class I got an email saying all classes were being forced to move online, all the Disney park closures were announced, the DOW absolutely tanked, and the ongoing oil war isn't looking too hot. I literally had to stop and take a nap mid day to get a break from just hearing bad news after bad news (I'm pretty annoyed with classes moving online, even though I was originally in 2 in person, 1 hybrid, and 2 online classes, I liked being in person for the 2 classes because it really made learning tough topics easier).
Bad news? It's just news. Take your classes on-line. OK, at least you're still in school. Disney park closures -- did you have a trip planned for the closure period? If not, why is it "bad" news? Are you invested in oil or oil futures? If not, why are lower oil prices "bad" news? Yeah, your 401K is lower, but it only took 3 years to get the Dow from 16,000 to 25,000 -- it'll recover after the recession's over.

Don't listen to the FUD-stream media -- the world isn't crumbling. Take reasonable precautions, like avoiding crowds and washing your hands frequently, don't travel into a known hot zone, stock up with at least 3 weeks' worth of essentials (not 3 YEARS' worth, people!) in case you have to self-quarantine and you'll make it thru this OK.

DisneyCane

Without adequate testing, you can't say the infection rate is not higher. The shed rate of the Novel coronavirus is higher than that of the SARS coronavirus. Reason it's spreading so fast and far.

In South Korea where they have done extensive testing the infection rate is around 0.16%. I would expect that the US is a bit higher but it is unknown at this time how it will compare to the flu.

Not necessarily. To estimate how easily a virus spreads, scientists calculate its "basic reproduction number," or R0 (pronounced R-nought). R0 predicts the number of people who can catch a given bug from a single infected person, Live Science previously reported. Currently, the R0 for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the disease COVID-19, is estimated at about 2.2, meaning a single infected person will infect about 2.2 others, on average. By comparison, the flu has an R0 of 1.3.

That's the measure of how easily it spreads. The post I responded to was about the "infection rate" which is the percentage of the population that is infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom