News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Josh Hendy

Not sure but the "focus on storytelling" sounds like the plan was to include lots of IP from movies and cartoons ... when that changed to "see how light plays a central role in our shared human journey" it sounds like one of the higher-ups became enchanted by projector technology and decided that the flowing beam of light should be the main character or plot.

Epcot82Guy

The ride's original scenes were about communication (though the earlier iterations). The Siemens update refocused the narration on innovation and, loosely, technology. To tweak it to be storytelling by just updating the latest scenes would be relatively easy.

The light thing concerns me. It feels like someone had an idea for projection mapping and it MUST BE SHOWCASED! I hope they don't sacrifice story to overemphasize the light concept.

nickys

Premium Member
He didn't say definitely. He indicated things were still fluid.

Good point.

But if it was definitely going ahead as originally envisaged, there would be no need for the fluidity. I wonder if this is purely a budget thing, or if there is some disagreement / doubt about the direction they want to move in or something else. A bit like the whole MP plan. Heck, a bit like the whole Epcot plan for the last decade (or more).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Budget? Cut. But way before Coronavirus.

Ok, then.

If you know and/or can say...
  1. So, we're looking a just a brush up on some dioramas and some new ones?
  2. No new vehicles and/or tracks?
  3. No reconfiguring of entrance?
  4. Will the exit room be redone?
  5. Is the timetable of 2-3 years now reduced?

DreamfinderGuy

Ok, then.

If you know and/or can say...
  1. So, we're looking a just a brush up on some dioramas and some new ones?
  2. No new vehicles and/or tracks?
  3. No reconfiguring of entrance?
  4. Will the exit room be redone?
  5. Is the timetable of 2-3 years now reduced?
I know no more than you do, but...

1. I thought that's what we were already expecting.
2. We were never getting new vehicles.
3. Once again, thought this was confirmed to not happen other than maybe redoing switchbacks again.
4. I believe Martin has already said it's looking unlikely. At least not for a new building.
5. He's already said he hasn't heard anything.

rle4lunch

I know no more than you do, but...

1. I thought that's what we were already expecting.
2. We were never getting new vehicles.
3. Once again, thought this was confirmed to not happen other than maybe redoing switchbacks again.
4. I believe Martin has already said it's looking unlikely. At least not for a new building.
5. He's already said he hasn't heard anything.

Is there an Eddie on the team working for the Bob's?
b4fca395-6497-4d31-bc3c-cf267c6bde1d_text.gif

jt04

I'm not disappointed they are keeping the old post show area and corporate space overlooking the central plaza. The design still works and can even help with revenue.

Might change my mind if the rumored canceled plan ever leaks though.

Mickeynerd17

I'm not disappointed they are keeping the old post show area and corporate space overlooking the central plaza. The design still works and can even help with revenue.

Might change my mind if the rumored canceled plan ever leaks though.
I might be a little bummed, but it's too much history to lose. I'll keep the old rear building.
And they better not get any ideas of removing the mural at the entrance, that thing is way too beautiful.

FigmentFan82

The short-sighted-ness of budget cuts just really bums me out. I mean how does someone who theoretically should be good at business decisions make a call that will have lasting negative impacts for short term gain? I mean, if Na'vi River Journey didn't have it's budget cut it would have been a much better received ride. Now it's forever a shadow of what it could have been. This stain is all over WDW.
Sad face.

jt04

The short-sighted-ness of budget cuts just really bums me out. I mean how does someone who theoretically should be good at business decisions make a call that will have lasting negative impacts for short term gain? I mean, if Na'vi River Journey didn't have it's budget cut it would have been a much better received ride. Now it's forever a shadow of what it could have been. This stain is all over WDW.
Sad face.

If this closure gets rid of much of the 2007 stuff it will be a giant step forward. IMO.

Unfortunately they don't have unlimited funds. These type cuts could mean they are moving Imagination up in the queue or they need the funds for the MP attraction. It has been three steps forward and one back for awhile but the progress at the resort the last decade can't be denied.

I don't think people appreciate how precarious things were at WDW 15 years ago. Amazing effort by TDO et al. Including the Save Disney campaign. IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom