Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

TP2000

Original Poster
Garden walk is a tourist trap with miserably failed retail.

It's certainly gone downhill, as @Darkbeer1 mentioned in a recent post. But that is because it is currently owned by literally a third-rate owner who doesn't have the capital or influence to get real deals made. The current owner was the third-place bidder in the real estate auction a few years back, and when the Dubai group's financing collapsed and then Bob Jr. got cold feet on spending a few bucks on lowly CM's, the third-place bidder won the auction and got the mall for a steal.

My friends in commercial real estate all say that GardenWalk was massively overbuilt in 2007 right as commercial real estate was undergoing a hugely important shift and Americans radically transformed the way they buy goods and services. Malls are hurting all over America now 12 years after GardenWalk opened with waaaaaay too much square footage.

The conventional wisdom in OC now is that even when the JW Marriott opens, plus whatever the second hotel is and a few hundred timeshare condos are built on top of the parking structure, you could barely have a market for just the first floor of GardenWalk for retail and dining. But that still leaves the entire second floor, which has been abandoned and forgotten for over a decade, to fill with tenants. If Disney had taken over the mall and used the second floor for a "Cast Campus", it would have penciled out to keep the mall afloat.

But as it stands now, GardenWalk has half their square footage that they'll never be able to lease out even when the second hotel and timeshares get built maybe later this decade. The opening of JW Marriott 60 days from now will only help justify what retail and dining already exist in that dying mall. That's assuming Disneyland and/or the Anaheim Convention Center are actually open 60 days from now.

Darkbeer1

Well, Las Vegas Buffets are closing due to COVID-19.

Cruise ships have shifted to employee served buffets, where guests can't touch items or serving utensils. Instead, it is more cafeteria style.

Knott's has adjusted its refillable cup policy. Employees/Associates are no longer allowed to touch them. At counter service, the guest presents their cup to be scanned, then a drink in a paper cup is issued. At Self-Service machines, guests may refill their own cup, after the barcode scan.

TP2000

Original Poster
60 days for the JW, try a lot less than that.

I am having dinner on the Hotel's Rooftop Thursday night, along with a full tour.

Fabulous! I didn't think it opened until May, but look at that.

Let's hope they have a viable theme park and convention center business still working a few weeks from now to kick off that swanky new hotel with.

I honestly didn't know it opened so soon. I'll have to go check it out and put their bartender to the test later this month!

Darkbeer1

It says March.

Thursday is the first pseudo-public event, a SOAR Fundraiser.

We just got the date confirmation last week, as we had to wait until all the appropriate public occupancy permits were approved.

I think the date is March twenty-something for actual Hotel Stays.

The Radisson Blu Decktop party is still a couple-ish months away.

Westin is Fall, 2020.

wowsmom

Italy went into a lockdown yesterday that will last until April 3 at the earliest.

Italy's lockdown isn't a lockdown like they did in China. My sister lives in Genoa and she could still go out today to get groceries and to the pharmacy and post office. They are making people wait outside and only letting a few people in the stores at a time. Not sure how helpful that is for stopping spread of the virus?

mandelbrot

Italy's lockdown isn't a lockdown like they did in China. My sister lives in Genoa and she could still go out today to get groceries and to the pharmacy and post office. They are making people wait outside and only letting a few people in the stores at a time. Not sure how helpful that is for stopping spread of the virus?
Of course it's not like China. But the restrictions in Italy ( a VERY free country) should be a warning sign to us all.

smooch

My college is still having in person classes. My hybrid class has shifted to fully online but that's not a huge change, we met once a week but do almost everything online anyways. My older brother is on Spring Break currently, he goes to college in LA, and they have decided that classes will be online only for the 2 weeks following Spring Break.

I honestly find the thought of Disneyland closing very very very strange and almost foreign. It has remained open through so many tragedies and through previous health scares. My girlfriend was at Disneyland during 9/11 and they stayed open yet it was a ghost town. I remember Swine Flu from a little over a decade ago yet Disney didn't even mention the idea of closing. My mom has gone into full freakout mode due to my brother's classes switching to online and is bulk buying everything, even unnecessary "supplies" we never normally had and will still have no use for if something were to happen. I know we are trying to prevent the spread of the virus, that's important to do, but seeing the entire country slowly start to just "go on break" is infuriating for some reason. We can't just put everything on pause for prevention; infected countries shutting down and quarantining makes sense, but areas that are currently unaffected by coronavirus are just shutting down temporarily. How long can we just stop functioning normally until the coronavirus scare passes and we can live normally again?

smooch

Disneyland did not open on 9/11.

Huh well I apologize I guess she got the days mixed up and maybe arrived on the day of 9/11 but went into the parks the day after. I never actually looked into the topic myself, after looking more into both parks on 9/11 I think I heard before that Disney World was open and confused it with Disneyland, but upon looking into it it appears they closed the park for the day after the attacks. Thanks for the correction!

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Many Michigan colleges are beginning to do online or on brink of as of yesterday as proactive....and today we got our first 2 confirmed cases reported. Person who travelled international and other domestically. That said if people have symptoms and are told to not come in, I believe those cases are not reported as they are not confirmed. Overheard some students wondering about labs or hospital setting classes. I am wondering how this will impact graduation ceremonies at our larger universities/schools..... some of those are mighty large. That and NCAA bball!!!!! 😷. Will look forward to Spring.....:cool:

TROR

I'mma be ticked if my college shuts down for the rest of the semester. I pay good money for face to face classes and to have that replaced by the inferior method of education through screens would be upsetting. I desire to learn and that is hindered by online courses!

Phroobar

I'mma be ticked if my college shuts down for the rest of the semester. I pay good money for face to face classes and to have that replaced by the inferior method of education through screens would be upsetting. I desire to learn and that is hindered by online courses!
My wife was telling me that by state law, a student has to voluntarily do online classes. They can't be forced to do them online. Not sure about the grade you get if you don't do it online. Probably an incomplete.

el_super

Honestly not much. I'm mostly assuming Disney will argue the greater economic need to stay open as it is a huge economic driver for Anaheim. The sporting events, while driving a good amount of that economy, just seem like easier targets for the government to shut down than a daily-operating business.

The city of Anaheim released a statement regarding the Big West conference cancellations, and this particular paragraph says a lot:

The decision does not reflect any unique concern about Anaheim, nor is it at the recommendation or advice of the city of Anaheim, the Orange County Health Care Agency or the California Department of Public Health.

The decision is being taken out of an abundance of caution by the tournament at a time of heightened awareness about coronavirus and recent steps by universities and colleges in response to the outbreak.

Judging from this, sounds like the city isn't planning to shut down anything until someone higher than the county government steps in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom