Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

Darkbeer1

So here it is around 1 AM, and finally finding time to say hello and visit...

Somehow I ended up on the SoCal Tourism phone list regarding COVID-19, so the last few days have been WEIRD.

Experts calling me to ask questions, my first thought is why? You are the experts, I am just a guy with some real world experiences and a decent mind who has common sense and math skills.

Saturday for me was planned with two sporting events and touching base with some key people at both. And had opted for public transit (Metro A line) for part of the trip.

So when the Carnival Panorama decided to come ashore, well, I got called. And looking back, I listened but really didn't add anything to what happened. So once again, why am I on the list... But I had to be careful where I was to talk. More than once, I asked to switch t text, or told them I could only short answer.

And to be honest, I guess I am more to keep people on track and to be honest with them, trying to cut out the BS.

One point that wasn't made public was the decision made around 7 PM, and that was that ICE said we can't work anymore today, and can't process departing passengers until Sunday morning. So that was when folks started to scramble, even if the final medical clearance from the Hospital came in at 8 PM (it didn't, it was later).

Now, the phone calls about how the election is going are still happening, and that I am much more helpful at. (Over 100,000 ballots are still needed to be counted in OC), and as for LA County, that is one big mess at the LAROV.

Now to have some fun with TP2000's posts....

Darkbeer1

Quoting a few of TP2000's comments...

>>TDA is in contact with government officials, and TDA has the benefit of having an entire office of Government Affairs with senior TDA management who have long-term good working relationships with officials at the state and federal level.<<

So how do I end up sitting with these Government Affairs folks recently at a big time event, and even getting more attention than the CM's from folks. I just don't get it. Yes, I work hard, have some brains, and was handed a position with some power, but I just can't figure out what they see in me. All I can do is do my best, and act like I know what I am doing.

To address some other of TP2000's comments. As for what everyone is doing, yes, most of what is going on is reactionary. The CDC and Public Health officials had the most pre-planning. But the key is trying to stay ahead of the issue, and trying to reduce/stop the spread of the virus, while not closing everything down.

>>The situation with the Grand Princess being barred from California ports by Governor Newsom was not comforting to TDA. <<

OMG, after the Governor made his first comments, the Feds got on the phone quickly and had a nice LONG talk with him. And it was nice to see him change his tune. I think the Visit California folks also had a nice talk asking him what the F he was thinking!

As for GardenWalk, I knew some of the info, but appreciate the detail TP2000's did in listing what happened. I have an event Thursday evening that might make that info useful.

And for our friend, CM Rebecca. She does talk a good game, and is good at schmoozing. She also has a good staff, and has talked to Josh multiple times to discuss things, which is a good sign.

Now, your tip of the day, Apple has stated it is OK to use disinfecting wipes on your iPhones and iPads. The Corona Virus can last up to 9 days on hard surfaces, so wash your hands, and your devices!

I have said it before, use your common sense and you should be fine.

Watching Santa Clara County and seeing what happens to the Sharks/Earthquakes games this week. If they have to play without fans, that might cause a ripple event SoCal doesn't want to happen.

Last edited:

SorcererMC

Watching Santa Clara County and seeing what happens to the Sharks/Earthquakes games this week. If they have to play without fans, that might cause a ripple event SoCal doesn't want to happen.
They'll have to play without fans. Last night, Santa Clara County Public Health issued a mandatory public health order for mass gatherings >1000 for 3 weeks. (ETA: order). Per local reporting from the press conference, it excludes airports, shopping malls, and schools.

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Image result for testing drive thru coronavirus uw seattle

In Seattle this hospital is swab testing symptomatic employees via drive thru. Not too glamorous but love the spit guard visor....great idea!:cool:😷 Disney can customize them and ship out with magicbands for WDW....or as an add on to existing headgear for DLR guests....this guy just isn't in his happy place with spit shield alone...…but add some Disney plussing and it could make a magical difference ...but they would have to let go of their mask wearing policy...😯🎃 Bonus: One can keep eyes open heading down Splash and not risk losing a contact lens or mussing up makeup! :D
Image result for spit guard face mask
Mickey Safari Hat image 0
Image result for spit guard face mask with visor disney

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Both Coachelle and Stagecoach have been postponed until October.

Now, these do draw international fans and bands. So the decision isn't just public health, but financial.

So at what point does Disney say, due to our lower sale of hotel rooms/discounted rates and low attendance, does it make sense to just close for a period to let the Virus take its course, and then reopen when it looks like folks are planning to return.

And if that is the case, do they pull the plug at WDW but keep the DLR operating, who relies on locals for a larger share of attendance?

In Anaheim, we have the Ducks, Angels, Concerts, Conventions, etc.

In SoCal, we have the NCAA Regionals, the Grand Prix of Long Beach and other major sporting events.

California's Great America opening day is March 21st. Will Santa Clara County allow them to open?

Lots of questions, not many answers.

Nirya

A LOT of news broke today regarding coronavirus, specifically places getting essentially shut down.

UCLA, like UCI, went to online classes moving forward today. USC is testing online classes this week to see if they can do the same.

The Big West Tournament is shifting to essential personnel only. Reports are that the First Four for the NCAA Tournament in Dayton may have to go to a similar setup after the Governor of Ohio put out an order essentially banning large gatherings for a bit. The Ivy League just cancelled its tournament outright.

As mentioned, Coachella and Stagecoach just got delayed until October.

Italy went into a lockdown yesterday that will last until April 3 at the earliest.

And Congress is trying to put together a stimulus package just in time for a bunch of Congress members to begin self-quarantining after a host of Republicans came in contact with a man who tested positive for the virus while at CPAC.

Honestly, I don't think Disneyland will close, but I'd wonder about things like sporting events for the next month or so.

Mickeyboof

WDW NT is “reporting” that two more employees at Disneyland Paris have tested positive for the virus.

“Disney has not publicly confirmed these two new cases, but select Cast Members have been informed.

The two workers are also part of the same nighttime maintenance team as the first Cast Member to be confirmed with the virus, but no other details have been released.”

Disneyland Paris has since closed single rider lines and reduced princesses to a small parade, replacing them at the character dining location in fantasyland with mask characters.

Darkbeer1

WDW NT is “reporting” that two more employees at Disneyland Paris have tested positive for the virus.

“Disney has not publicly confirmed these two new cases, but select Cast Members have been informed.

The two workers are also part of the same nighttime maintenance team as the first Cast Member to be confirmed with the virus, but no other details have been released.”

Disneyland Paris has since closed single rider lines and reduced princesses to a small parade, replacing them at the character dining location in fantasyland with mask characters.

One question.

We know that "Masked Characters" share a group of outfits including heads.

What is the current procedure to clean the head between uses?

Nirya

What is the difference between a sporting event that can draw 10,000+ versus a Theme Park that has 10,000+ a day?

Honestly not much. I'm mostly assuming Disney will argue the greater economic need to stay open as it is a huge economic driver for Anaheim. The sporting events, while driving a good amount of that economy, just seem like easier targets for the government to shut down than a daily-operating business.

TP2000

Original Poster
As for GardenWalk, I knew some of the info, but appreciate the detail TP2000's did in listing what happened. I have an event Thursday evening that might make that info useful.

And for our friend, CM Rebecca. She does talk a good game, and is good at schmoozing. She also has a good staff, and has talked to Josh multiple times to discuss things, which is a good sign.

The commercial real estate folks at the party, none of whom work for Disney but who knew about the deal through local contacts, were aghast that Disney would pass on buying GardenWalk for the price they could have gotten it for a couple years ago after the investment firm out of Dubai backed out of their winning bid.

They were floored that Bob Jr. could be so cheap, and be so short-sighted when every company in America is tripping over themselves trying to improve "the employee experience" and retain good people with a 3.5% national unemployment rate that is actually only 2.7% in Orange County. The Cast Campus was pitched as a way to really beef up what the TDA execs pretend is the "Disney Difference" in employment, but Bob Jr. didn't think the CM's were worth it and Michael Colglazier had never actually talked to an hourly CM so he didn't think much of it either. :rolleyes:

Don't forget, Michael Colglazier will be happy to remind you he went to Stanford and Harvard Business, so that means he's much better than you. Peasant.

The purposeful decision to pass on buying GardenWalk in 2017 when it literally could have been theirs for pennies on the dollar and be used for the benefit of both Anaheim CM's and Anaheim visitors was universally criticized by the very knowledgeable folks, both on and off the Disney payroll, at the party.

Bob Jr. is apparently an even bigger idiot that we all thought.

I will say that Rebecca was not subject to the same withering criticism as Bob Jr.

Ms. Campbell does come across to CM's as a genuinely nice person who tries hard, and at least can pretend to like the hourly CM's unlike some recent predecessors. But the events of the last 60 days ever since Rise Before Dawn opened and then Coronavirus hit, have proved she swam out into the deep end without her floaties before she was ready.

My heart goes out to Ms. Campbell, actually. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be leading a massive property and unique industry that you have absolutely no experience with right as it heads into some of the most challenging days of its entire 65 year existence. The poor dear. Good to hear she's leaning on Mr. Damaro for advice and guidance!

What is the difference between a sporting event that can draw 10,000+ versus a Theme Park that has 10,000+ a day?

There's a huge difference, in that an attendance of only 10,000 at Disneyland would be disastrously low.

75,000 people per day for both parks combined is average, and 100,000 on busy weekends and holidays is routine. The Super Bowl only had only 62,000 people there, which would be kind of a slow day for the Disneyland Resort now.

Heck, more than 10,000 people ride Pirates of the Caribbean in only four hours. And they aren't wiping down all those boats and seats each time 20 people get out and another 20 people climb in for a 15 minute ride.

As more and more big events and public facilities close, this will be increasingly difficult for Disneyland to remain open.

If Wheel Of Fortune just stopped allowing live studio audiences in to Television City to watch the show because they didn't want 250 people sitting in an auditorium together once per day, how on earth does Disneyland justify letting 2,500 people per hour ride It's A Small World???

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Garden walk is a tourist trap with miserably failed retail.

Until the 4 Diamond JW Marriott opens later this month, then many expect a shift in the Retail market.

Surprisingly, it is the House of Blues, the Rumba Room and Blush, all drawing locals that are doing very well. And the Restaurants are strong.

Lets get past COVID-19 and see how things are going.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom