Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgeek

Am new to this site but have been following the thread for a few days. My husband, a diabetic aged 71 and myself a large lady aged 62 are due at All Star Sports, Orlando at the end of June for a three week stay following on from 3 weeks in a villa where we hope to visit the other Florida theme parks. I know that no amount of wondering or worrying can change the future but am a little confused as to why there has been no discussion of a likely outcome if there is a confirmed case of Coronavirus 19 at on of the Disney Hotels. We have been at Disney for 2 hurricanes and were fine but unimpressed with their attitude to guests.! We were given a torch, told to sort out our own food and drink but not to leave the hotel grounds and then not to leave the room. Self isolation for fourteen days in such circumstances would be impossible! Would Disney have the staff to deliver food and drinks to rooms and as we have paid for a dining plan would we be able to choose? Though I appreciate choosing would be the least of our worries! Does anyone have any sensible and non hysterical ideas about what might happen, please?

I don’t think anyone can tell you now in March what the situation will look like in June. The best thing you can do is stay informed and make personal decisions based on the guidance from your local health agencies. I also think you should consult with your doctor before making a travel decision, age and medical conditions are real risk factors for this virus.

Crunchie9

1583712955212.png

1583713141419.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Am new to this site but have been following the thread for a few days. My husband, a diabetic aged 71 and myself a large lady aged 62 are due at All Star Sports, Orlando at the end of June for a three week stay following on from 3 weeks in a villa where we hope to visit the other Florida theme parks. I know that no amount of wondering or worrying can change the future but am a little confused as to why there has been no discussion of a likely outcome if there is a confirmed case of Coronavirus 19 at on of the Disney Hotels. We have been at Disney for 2 hurricanes and were fine but unimpressed with their attitude to guests.! We were given a torch, told to sort out our own food and drink but not to leave the hotel grounds and then not to leave the room. Self isolation for fourteen days in such circumstances would be impossible! Would Disney have the staff to deliver food and drinks to rooms and as we have paid for a dining plan would we be able to choose? Though I appreciate choosing would be the least of our worries! Does anyone have any sensible and non hysterical ideas about what might happen, please?
I don‘t know for certain but I am pretty sure a guest (or CM) who tests positive will not be kept at a Disney resort. They would be sent to a hospital or if healthy enough asked to self quarantine at home. Not sure how they will handle it if home is a flight away, but they most likely won’t have infected people in the same resort as healthy guests.

Flugell

Thanks for the ideas given. Yes we are a flight away in the U.K. so going home may not be an immediate option. My fears were not so much a CM being diagnosed as they could probably self isolate away from guests but more when the first guest staying on site is diagnosed! I know it’s a long way off and we will seek medical advice before travelling but as you can imagine a 6 week trip from the U.K. is very expensive and although we have excellent travel insurance it wouldn’t pay out if it’s our choice not to travel. Many thanks so far!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks for the ideas given. Yes we are a flight away in the U.K. so going home may not be an immediate option. My fears were not so much a CM being diagnosed as they could probably self isolate away from guests but more when the first guest staying on site is diagnosed! I know it’s a long way off and we will seek medical advice before travelling but as you can imagine a 6 week trip from the U.K. is very expensive and although we have excellent travel insurance it wouldn’t pay out if it’s our choice not to travel. Many thanks so far!
Tough call. I live in Pennsylvania so if I had to (and felt well enough) I could rent a car and drive home, but that’s obviously not an option for you. The way this thing is spreading it’s very likely someone staying at WDW will test positive before June so you can see what happens with that. So far with the cases near me all of the sick who have mild symptoms are self quarantined at home.

skiir97

Well, I want to go back to Disney in Dec, and this petro economy Canada is isnt helping.... I want the CDN to RISE, but because OF THE RESISTANCE, its actually going the other way.

It's not unheard of for Disney to give Canadians some discounts to help offset the terrible CAD/USD conversion a bit. They recently did it for park tickets.

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
The U.S. State Department just put our a travel notice for all U.S. citizens.

“U.S. citizens, especially with underlying conditions, should not travel by cruise ship. #CDC notes increased risk of #COVID19 on cruises. Many countries have implemented screening procedures, denied port entry rights to ships and prevented disembarking.“

I wonder if this will increase crowds at WDW. If we can’t get on the boat might as well go to the theme parks.

flutas

Long term effects? What are the long term effects of any respiratory illness once you are cured? It is a novel coronavirus, not a whole new never before seen category of virus. There are coronaviruses that cause common colds.

Current data shows fibrosis as an effect of the virus. Long term data is not yet known on if it's reversible or not.

These findings indicated the appearance of interstitial changes, suggesting the development of fibrosis. However, since the natural history of COVID-19 pneumonia is yet to be fully explored, it is too early to label these lung changes as irreversible fibrosis.

[source]

South Korea currently has only 0.5% serious/critical cases. So far they've had fatalities in 0.68% of confirmed cases. The fatality rate will likely increase somewhat as the recently detected cases "age." Regardless, data from South Korea indicates that this virus is "worse" than the flu but it isn't 10 times worse like some predictions.

And South Korea (on the 3rd) had a waitlist of at least 2,300 people to be hospitalized, or 44% of their confirmed cases at the time.

[source]

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I actually think someone will test positive after a WDW vacation....which will lead to an (impossible?) task of tracking down everyone who that person interacted with at WDW.
That’s an impossible task unless Disney used those tracking bands you are wearing to confirm everyone who came in close proximity to the patient. I doubt that’s even possible and if so probably won’t happen anyway.

The original poster was asking what would happen to a guest from far away who tested positive. Would they quarantine them in their hotel room or would they be required to go somewhere else if they couldn’t make it home?

thecouch

Look like share market going to take big hit this week. Down Jones future showing 4.5% drop on open. Aus share markeylt is down 6% a few hours into trade. I think this is the week it drops big time. That could effect booking as much as the virus

This is to show people how the drop over last few weeks is compared to gfc. Long way to go if panic sets in

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200309_123424_com.reddit.frontpage.jpg
    Screenshot_20200309_123424_com.reddit.frontpage.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 90

Crunchie9

Look like share market going to take big hit this week. Down Jones future showing 4.5% drop on open. Aus share markeylt is down 6% a few hours into trade. I think this is the week it drops big time. That could effect booking as much as the virus

This is to show people how the drop over last few weeks is compared to gfc. Long way to go if panic sets in
I think it will happen much quicker though. 2008 they were still manufacturing, it doesnt matter how much money you throw at this, if there is no RAW material, there is no product being produced, which means there is no product to buy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it will happen much quicker though. 2008 they were still manufacturing, it doesnt matter how much money you throw at this, if there is no RAW material, there is no product being produced, which means there is no product to buy.
Who is they? China? I thought things were ramping up again over there after a period of extreme shutdowns.

techgeek

The U.S. State Department just put our a travel notice for all U.S. citizens.

“U.S. citizens, especially with underlying conditions, should not travel by cruise ship. #CDC notes increased risk of #COVID19 on cruises. Many countries have implemented screening procedures, denied port entry rights to ships and prevented disembarking.“

I wonder if this will increase crowds at WDW. If we can’t get on the boat might as well go to the theme parks.

This is a catastrophic update after a catastrophic week for the cruise lines. What do we think Disney’s reaction will be? It’s hard to imagine DCL can continue operations when the state department advises people not to board, world class cleanliness or not.

Crunchie9

Who is they? China? I thought things were ramping up again over there after a period of extreme shutdowns.
I read on reddit (take it for what its worth) that the higher ups were paying their plant managers to run electricity in the plants to appear that they were manufacturing again.
Also, a man died his first day back to work because of COVID-19. (i have been citing everything today and im tired and starting to get lazy for the less important stuff) lol

Too many people saying its "just the flu"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom