Finger Print Readers Suspended??

Dubman

Original Poster
I'm reading in a few different social media areas that Disney is no longer requiring fingerprints at the entry points. Just tap and go..

Anyone know if this is a new policy that started today due to COVID-19? As far as I know they only do this at peak crowd levels...

Pepper's Ghost

I don't have an answer, but just saying fingerprint readers are filthy and gross. Wish these would go away permanently. I'm not a terrible germophobe, but given a fair amount of the population are filthy people who don't wash their hands after using the restroom, I'd be ecstatic if these went the way of the horse-drawn buggy.

Figment82

They were using them at Epcot yesterday. Made sure to have my Purell ready. They have sanitizer stations set up just inside the park, but they are almost always empty.

Disstevefan1

I never thought of the finger scan as a perfect point to spread germs until now and it makes perfect sense. Skipping it opens up the reason why it’s there in the first place from Disney’s point of view, folks using other folks paid admission.

There is no easy answer here. I totally understand why at is this time folks don’t want to use the finger scan, and I totally understand why Disney would skip it even given the problem for them it creates.

I can’t wait for the virus to be officially contained so everyone can feel safe again.

RobWDW1971

I never thought of the finger scan as a perfect point to spread germs until now and it makes perfect sense. Skipping it opens up the reason why it’s there in the first place from Disney’s point of view, folks using other folks paid admission.

There is no easy answer here. I totally understand why at is this time folks don’t want to use the finger scan, and I totally understand why Disney would skip it even given the problem for them it creates.

I can’t wait for the virus to be officially contained so everyone can feel safe again.
And every lap bar you touch, and door handle, and queue rail, and restaurant counter, and bathroom fixture, and locker kiosk, and monorail pole, etc, etc, etc...

Last edited:

Lilofan

They were using them at Epcot yesterday. Made sure to have my Purell ready. They have sanitizer stations set up just inside the park, but they are almost always empty.
Looks like the Purell stations are window dressing. Enough Purell for 40K attendance or more?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm reading in a few different social media areas that Disney is no longer requiring fingerprints at the entry points. Just tap and go..

Anyone know if this is a new policy that started today due to COVID-19? As far as I know they only do this at peak crowd levels...
So, that's why they stopped giving away bread -- they're using it to wipe down the fingerprint readers! ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
And every lap bar you touch, and door handle, and queue rail, and restaurant counter, etc, etc, etc

This! If you are trying to prevent the spread of a virus in a theme park, the fingerprint reader is the least of your problems. I wouldn't be surprised if these got cleaned more often then other surfaces since they need to be clean to work properly.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
This! If you are trying to prevent the spread of a virus in a theme park, the fingerprint reader is the least of you problems. I wouldn't be surprised if these got cleaned more often then other surfaces since they need to be clean to work properly.

Oh yes. There are SO many other surfaces that get touched much more frequently and are not often cleaned during the day. Every hand rail. Every yellow seat belt strap. And so on.

DisneyCane

With the billions they spent on MM+, I'm surprised they didn't just implement facial recognition instead of the finger scanners.

They aren't any different than lap bars or touch screens from a disease spread perspective. As your friendly neighborhood germaphobe, I always have hand sanitizer in my pocket and I use it after the scanners and after getting off of every ride. Before eating I always wash my hands. If it is "finger food" from quick service I'll make the purchase, drop the tray off with my wife at a table and then go wash my hands thoroughly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom