King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
About that shortage of toilet paper...
076308496654.jpg

James J

In the Parks
No
Why is there a toilet paper shortage I thought this was a respiratory virus and not dysentery.

From the previous page: "Before respiratory symptoms, many patients with COVID-19 had diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal discomfort, according to Gu and colleagues."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why is there a toilet paper shortage I thought this was a respiratory virus and not dysentery.
I’m pretty sure a video went viral showing people buying multiple giant packs of toilet paper at a Costco and the sheep followed. There isn’t an actual shortage of TP. All the people who bought those 80 roll cases won’t be shopping for it for months now. It’s not like new shipments are not arriving at stores every day. This is a virus not a zombie apocalypse or an alien invasion.
From the previous page: "Before respiratory symptoms, many patients with COVID-19 had diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal discomfort, according to Gu and colleagues."
I have no horse in the race but that was a single source claiming those things. The CDC and other reputable sources have no mention of GI symptoms. People are free to do and believe what they want.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I find myself often wishing that many adults could be made to take a class on determining a proper reliable source for information like I did when I got my degree...the things some people buy into are just beyond ridiculous.
Social media drives that hysteria. Now it’s all about the rush to get the story out first over ensuring it’s correct. On a less serious level than this situation, look no further than sports coverage. Half the stuff blurted out on Twitter ends up being fake and it’s formerly reputable people retweeting it. Sometimes I think the more ridiculous the claim the more people believe it.

ImperfectPixie

Social media drives that hysteria. Now it’s all about the rush to get the story out first over ensuring it’s correct. On a less serious level than this situation, look no further than sports coverage. Half the stuff blurted out on Twitter ends up being fake and it’s formerly reputable people retweeting it. Sometimes I think the more ridiculous the claim the more people believe it.
Agreed. And forget about anything related to politics...people will believe whatever supports how they feel about whoever the subject is no matter how out of left field it is.

seascape

There are shortages of all sorts of things because people are going crazy. This is also not like a storm or other type of regional problem because it is all of the USA along with every other country. I don't think anyone needs to stock up on basics because Amazon will deliver them if you need to self quarantine and with doordash, grubhub and Uber Eats there are tons of options for eating. People just need to calm down and live. Don't worry but take proper precautions.

MuteSuperstar

People are stocking up in anticipation of being quarantined and not being able to get to the store.
Add a few infections of people in shipping hubs and Amazon may not be the easy fallback for a while either.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
People are stocking up in anticipation of being quarantined and not being able to get to the store.
Add a few infections of people in shipping hubs and Amazon may not be the easy fallback for a while either.
Amazon pantry has most of the goods in question and that is stored more locally for quick delivery. If enough people get sick and call out of work they could end up short on staff in the warehouse or to make deliveries. The goods themselves are not “infected”.

Its the fear of the unknown that drives a lot of this. We don’t know how bad it’s going to get. It’s easy for people to stock up on a few essentials to feel better prepared. What people need to do is tune out some of the hysterical reactions and clickbait and focus on the information put out by experts and reputable sources. It’s much more important for people to follow some simple things like washing your hands and obeying quarantine if you do get sick. If buying some extra TP today keeps people from leaving their house when they are sick than it’s a win for everyone.

Bartattack

Just saw a interview with an 18 year old girl (Belgium) who is recovering from the virus. (she recently came back from italy) One of the symptoms she had was vomiting and diarrhea and feeling miserable like with a bad flu. She didn't have 'just a cough or headache' like you hear on the news. Symptoms probably differ from people to people.

JoeCamel

Just like an approaching storm the cleaning, TP and water fly off the shelves, when the bread goes look out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom