News Haunted Mansion To Remain Closed For Unknown Reasons

trainplane3

Are you not hearing anything definitive? Seems like based on your history, you should know more. :)

Will it be back up for my trip in 10 days?

Blink twice if you actually know but can't say anything.
Let's analyze:
1m.JPG

He reacted, so let's look into this "reaction"
ENHANCE:
2m.jpg

Now as you can see, both eyes are closed. This could be your "two blinks" that was requested.

However, if we were to...
ENHANCE:
3m.jpg

You can see the face is tilted to one side. Is it thrown back in laughter? Confusion? Neck pain? Held in a headlock by Chapek in order to divulge information that Chapek can easily get but chooses to fly overseas to get it instead for whatever reason?

Let's look at the eyes. They're quite...triangular...
5m.jpg

Illuminati confirmed?

Now.
Enhance:
4m.jpg

The mouth is open. Is this a smile? A laugh? Excitement? A nervous giggle? Screaming because Chapek knows where he lives and is coming for him?

As you can see, one reaction is not enough to get information. We require more info.

Pepper's Ghost

To be fair, this particular failure isn't exactly a daily maintenance kind of thing... that rail, its age, extra Florida humidity, starts/stops of the Omnimover... all of it adds up.

Fair enough, but I work in corporate facility management including manufacturing, and our firm (not to be named) has annual maintenance schedules for basically everything. We perform checks based on industry standards for the equipment, age, etc. If something isn't maintained properly, it eventually results in catastrophic failure which we're held responsible for.

With that said, that's how I see this... a catastrophic failure resulting in extended down time, lost production, potential injuries, etc. Given the age of the rides, you'd think they'd check the critical components of each ride over a regular schedule around each park. If not, they're treating this no better than a traveling carnival and again, running to failure which then leaves them open to catastrophic failure, potential injuries or worse.

The other possibility is what Lilofan said. Employees who don't care enough to closely inspect each aspect... let's stick with the theme above and call them carnies. These parts weren't visibly perfect and then just snap, or come loose. Welding cracks/breaks would be evident, bolts too loose/stretched/worn, give in the track would be evident, excessive wear on certain parts, etc. I'm not saying all of these and other red flags were all there, but when something goes this wrong there are always warning signs that are missed due to carelessness.

Rich Brownn

Not to diverge from the thread topic too much, and I know this has been said ad nauseam on this thread and many others, but what the heck is going on with ride maintenance lately. I get the park is 50 years old, but are they now just running to failure to pinch pennies?

Edit: btw, I know this is a dumb question. I'm stating the obvious, but happy 50th... all our rides are broke.
Disneyland's is even older, and yet I've never heard of this happening there

iowamomof4

First hand report about the Haunted Mansion malfunction:

Josh Hendy

The worst part was that we had to hold ourselves up using our feet and arms to prevent falling out of the buggy! Not a fun 25 min, but a good upper body workout!
That's a quote from the disboards post.

Sounds serious to me as not everyone could hold themselves up for that long ... or hold onto a youngster for that long ... and the doom buggies are something like 8 feet above the floor I've heard.

Likewise I think the Jungle Cruise sinking was more serious than most people made out because the people in the boat were climbing up on the gunwhales where they could have hurt themselves and fallen into deep water.

"It's happened before" doesn't cut it. If anything it makes it worse. It happened before ... and maintenance wasn't improved?

VicariousCorpse

That's a quote from the disboards post.

Sounds serious to me as not everyone could hold themselves up for that long ... or hold onto a youngster for that long ... and the doom buggies are something like 8 feet above the floor I've heard.
I believe the entire ride you see is on an elevated platform above the floor with all the mechanics. I have walked the entire track and at no point are you at risk for falling any amount of feet unless you climb a barrier in the seance room or you roll down the descent outside the attic. There is a few inch gap in the center of the track that you have to watch for when you crosssover between buggies though.

Josh Hendy

I have walked the entire track and at no point are you at risk for falling any amount of feet unless you climb a barrier in the seance room or you roll down the descent outside the attic.
Why do you think they were bracing themselves to not fall out of the doom buggy then? If there wasn't a big drop as you say, couldn't they slide out and stand on the track and hold onto the handrails until evacuated? They mentioned that the buggy was rotated in an awkward position, perhaps the CMs started a normal evacuation from a distant end of the ride and didn't know that some of the guests were in a very uncomfortable or possibly dangerous position.

VicariousCorpse

Why do you think they were bracing themselves to not fall out of the doom buggy then? If there wasn't a big drop as you say, couldn't they slide out and stand on the track and hold onto the handrails until evacuated? They mentioned that the buggy was rotated in an awkward position, perhaps the CMs started a normal evacuation from a distant end of the ride and didn't know that some of the guests were in a very uncomfortable or possibly dangerous position.
Let me clarify, you are at no point at risk for falling any amount of feet in normal operations. They were in a dangerous spot by facing forward down the descent outside the attic. You are never 8 feet or even 1 foot in the air at any point. The descent is steep with stairs next to it but there is still a ground right below it.

Josh Hendy

Let me clarify, you are at no point at risk for falling any amount of feet in normal operations. They were in a dangerous spot by facing forward down the descent outside the attic.
I apologize I'm a bit slow. You are saying, it's not dangerous in normal operations, however it is dangerous in the abnormal state that occurred in this breakdown?

VicariousCorpse

I apologize I'm a bit slow. You are saying, it's not dangerous in normal operations, however it is dangerous in the abnormal state that occurred in this breakdown?
Yes. When you leave the attic the doom buggy rotates so you're facing up the decline at like 45 degrees. In the breakdown they rotated the wrong way making the doom buggies face 45 degrees down the incline, which is why the person you quoted had to brace themselves from falling forward over the safety bar.

I believe they are simply saying that the track isn't floating with drop offs on either side.
Yes.

Rich Brownn

After reading that.... this was a very major malfunction. This, and the jungle cruise incident, could have resulted in serious injuries.

Imagine the vehicles in spaceship earth not rotating..... I mean this is a very serious incident.
That actually happened on opening day at EPCOT. For nearly a year after there was someone at the top, manually turning and locking the cars!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom