News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

UNCgolf

It is simply further proof that guests do not like queuing and Disney is always testing alternatives. Some more successful than others.

The parks don't have the capacity for every guest to be there and not waiting in a queue. There's no room.

jt04

The parks don't have the capacity for every guest to be there and not waiting in a queue. There's no room.

I have never said they should get rid of any current systems. Just continue to augment and evolve the current offerings. BGs can be a part of that. IMO.

KBLovedDisney

I am counting down every second! Hope you don't mind my new signature...
Can't wait!
source.gif

admiralDax

Working on SSE’s track (or anything inside of the geodesic sphere, for that matter) will be a challenge simply due to the limited access of getting things in and out. Omnimovers aren’t new to Disney. But perhaps the incline and decline of the track probably makes it a little more complicated.
My guess is (and it's more than a guess but I'm not interested in providing references and volumes of proof) that the current track will be completely removed from the concrete base and replaced by new supports and track. I'm guessing that over the years, the current track base has loosened and/or broken from the concrete in many spots and although safely supported, needs to be replaced. I'm assuming that this is the long pole in the refurb.

jt04

For posterity.

There is one attraction BGs are temporarily proposed for. Remind me of that when it opens and no other attraction has them.

I'm only speculating on some solutions should they be required due to demand. FPs and special events were also once limited in scope but clearly that has changed as growth necessitated. 💹

IMO.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Surferboy567

Remember that crazy out there rumor I posted:

So...I have an interesting story...tidbit? I don’t know what to call it. Now this is a RUMOR and goes against everything insiders like Marni has said about this being a long close and a full update. So let me stress what I’m about to say is a rumor and should be taken with a massive grain of salt. That being said...let’s go

On the latest episode of Disney Dish, Jim Hill stated that the plans for this update have changed. He said at one point their was a huge sweeping updates planned for this attraction. That kinda sounds remarkably similar to what Marni has been describing. But has since been scaled back a great deal. Apparently the higher ups have decided they want Spaceship Earth for the 50th. I think the analogy Jim used was imagine if the focal point of the 50th was MK and they decided to have the castle closed for 2-3 years. They want Epcot ready for the 50th...which to be honest doesn’t make much sense to me because it just doesn’t seem likely given the current speed of things.

Apparently the new plan is to close for 6 months and have it open ASAP. Expect fairly minimal changes with the finale and other scenes being the only scenes being changed out. This whole “story telling” thing would be downplayed if this is real.

Then, after the 50th is over they would close it for the 2-3 years and do the massive update.

Personally, I’m not sure about this rumor. I don’t think it seems right it just seems off. Stranger things have happened though so here we are and I’m simply reporting with that I heard.

Insiders...care to comment? I’m assuming this isn’t accurate but has anything changed?

EDIT: Oh, and he said they were AIMING for Memorial Day weekend to open Rat to offset this. He didn’t seem confident in that though.

...apparently lots of projects are being cut, scrapped etc because of the Chronavirus closing the Asian parks. Jim Hill said something to the effect of the above on the newest episode of Disney Dish. If this is cut, (which it maybe won’t be since budget probably is allocated already). I can see other projects in similar situations possibly even be cut...

I’m looking at you Poppins.

Maybe, all of this isn’t true but it seems plausible and I don’t know but I get the sneaking suspicion Chapek would cut in times like this but maybe (hopefully) I’m wrong.

Treat this all as rumor.

Maybe insiders have heard anything about this?

Thelazer

Cause it always makes sense to cut stuff at the "performing" park, to make up for the "UN-performing" over see's ones... ugh.
Well, I could see it happening.. sadly..

nickys

Premium Member
Remember that crazy out there rumor I posted:

...apparently lots of projects are being cut, scrapped etc because of the Chronavirus closing the Asian parks. Jim Hill said something to the effect of the above on the newest episode of Disney Dish. If this is cut, (which it maybe won’t be since budget probably is allocated already). I can see other projects in similar situations possibly even be cut...

I’m looking at you Poppins.

Maybe, all of this isn’t true but it seems plausible and I don’t know but I get the sneaking suspicion Chapek would cut in times like this but maybe (hopefully) I’m wrong.

Treat this all as rumor.

Maybe insiders have heard anything about this?

Not quite sure what you’re asking. Whether Jim Hill has it right that the budget for this has been cut?

A quick search of this thread threw up some posts from Martin before you posted your ”theory” based on JH’s podcast:

There should still be new show scenes.
No definite but looking unlikely at the mo.
That was the original proposal. Now I’m not so sure.

Could it be that Jim is using Martin as a source??? 🤔

Surferboy567

Not quite sure what you’re asking. Whether Jim Hill has it right that the budget for this has been cut?

A quick search of this thread threw up some posts from Martin before you posted your ”theory” based on JH’s podcast:

Could it be that Jim is using Martin as a source??? 🤔

What I’m asking is if Jim Hill is accurate that lots of projects are being negatively effected.

Especially Spaceship Earth since that is the one he has directly mentioned. This goes against what Marni has stated. Initially, I thought the rumor was crazy but now I’m not so sure.

It’s not a “theory” of mine I’m just asking based on what I’ve heard.

nickys

Premium Member
What I’m asking is if Jim Hill is accurate that lots of projects are being negatively effected.

Especially Spaceship Earth since that is the one he has directly mentioned. This goes against what Marni has stated. Initially, I thought the rumor was crazy but now I’m not so sure.

It’s not a “theory” of mine I’m just asking based on what I’ve heard.

??? Still unclear. Martin‘s posts seem to make it clear the budget for SSE has been cut, otherwise why would they not be doing the whole exit re-do and so on? Where has he said the cuts are not related to the Asian park closures ?

IveBeenJack

Anyone else think that the huge focus on storytelling seems to be downplayed a little by Disney recently.

August 25, 2019: "The iconic Spaceship Earth will remain a voyage through time as the journey transforms to reflect the power of storytelling to unite the human experience."

February 25, 2020: "the next iteration of Spaceship Earth will focus on the story of humanity. Throughout the attraction, you’ll hear new narration and see how light plays a central role in our shared human journey."

"Power of Storytelling" and "Story of Humanity" are two different things. The first is about how storytelling has evolved throughout time, whereas the latter is arguably what the attraction currently is.

I know it seems like splittling hairs, but it does seem that the budget cuts are reflected in the change of verbiage surrounding the refurb as well.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom