Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway SPOILER Thread

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it. I like "classic" AAs better than the projection face versions.

I can definitely understand why you would feel that way. Given the premise though and really with animated films I feel that the projected faces are better. Escipally when the art style would be weird to do (like the Mickey art style) but totally understand why you would prefer “classic” AA’s.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
It's flash animation done by Mercury Filmworks who also does the animation for Rapunzel's Tangled Adventures.

Just realized yes, they are cell shaded in the show and this is the company that does them.

But it doesn’t answer the question, will the AA’s have cell shading I can’t imagine this company having anything to do with that (besides creating the animation for the faces).

JohnD

I can definitely understand why you would feel that way. Given the premise though and really with animated films I feel that the projected faces are better. Escipally when the art style would be weird to do (like the Mickey art style) but totally understand why you would prefer “classic” AA’s.

Well, given that, I wouldn't have a problem with the AAs either way. But @wdwmagic says there is something limiting about them.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Just saw another super quick review and the cast member said “Goofy didn't do it, it’s Mickey’s fault” he didn’t say but I’d imagine this is in reference to the train detachment. So not sure if that’s true given what we have heard.

Cmdr_Crimson

Just realized yes, they are cell shaded in the show and this is the company that does them.

But it doesn’t answer the question, will the AA’s have cell shading I can’t imagine this company having anything to do with that (besides creating the animation for the faces).
It might just be similar to the 7 dwarfs with projection mapping as you can see Minnie's ears are looking like a mowhawk (or the fact that you are seeing her ears foward to the mickey ear logic).
Image from Diskingdom.
21698209_10101401537444800_997415949_n.jpg

Surferboy567

Original Poster
It might just be similar to the 7 dwarfs with projection mapping as you can see Minnie's ears are looking like a mowhawk (or the fact that you are seeing her ears foward to the mickey ear logic).
Image from Diskingdom.
21698209_10101401537444800_997415949_n.jpg

Do you mean the flower...or the ears that look like a Mohawk? Also I think it’s just the way it’s drawn.

MmeLeota

The Great Movie Ride didn't close because Disney didn't own all of the IP (which, by the way, it now owns even more of the IP featured in the attraction than it did through its life).

The Great Movie Ride closed because it was expensive to run and they thought they could build a replacement that was less costly to operate.

YES !!! WHAT HE SAID !

Rod Serling

As someone who's experienced the attraction, here's what I have to say:

The queue was very similar to the GMR, same red ropes and Chinese Theatre wallpaper, but they gutted every movie prop showcase to essentially make one giant room full of switchbacks.

The preshow is very cute, Mickey and Minnie going on a picnic, Goofy crashes into the screen creating a hole and smoke for you to walk into the cartoon.

From there the attraction sort of falls flat on expectations. The 2.5 D is honestly amazing, but the actual movement of the ride is similar to Pooh's Hunnyhut. Like Rise... but a lot slower. The AA's are pretty lackluster. Essentially small body figures with no animation and flat faces for the projection mapping.

The Daisy dance room scene is a cool effect in terms of ride vehicle movement, but the AA is very disappointing and the room itself is not much to look at.

As far as the theme song, it definitely has a song but as far as I recall it was only sung in the preshow and not used anywhere else in the attraction.

Overall enjoyable, would definitely ride again to take it everything, but not a worthy replacement of GMR.

djkidkaz

If it were elsewhere maybe.

More from someone I trust; Great preshow and load. After which the ride was fun but an anticlimax. Would ride again though. The much touted 2.5D visuals were a letdown and seem to be more of a public relations stunt. I’ll let others discuss exactly what is done visually. Fun ride, but not as good or enjoyable as what it replaced.

I would say this is pretty accurate and my initial thoughts. But after thinking about it I think this is a great addition to DHS. We generally think of dark rides as only at Magic Kingdom, but to me this is an evolution of say Winnie the Pooh or Peter Pan and it now takes the dark ride beyond just the castle park. Those dark rides while not always the most impressive or technologically advanced attractions your going to ride each day, they do offer variety and enjoyment and I think that is where this truly works at DHS.

RobWDW1971

I would say this is pretty accurate and my initial thoughts. But after thinking about it I think this is a great addition to DHS. We generally think of dark rides as only at Magic Kingdom, but to me this is an evolution of say Winnie the Pooh or Peter Pan and it now takes the dark ride beyond just the castle park. Those dark rides while not always the most impressive or technologically advanced attractions your going to ride each day, they do offer variety and enjoyment and I think that is where this truly works at DHS.
But the simple Winnie the Pooh dark ride was not the front and center attraction in the park's iconic centerpiece.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom