Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Surferboy567

One thing of note is that it is very short of queue space. Expect a lot of outdoor makeshift lines to the side and in the courtyard and probably beyond.

With a ride that is sure to be super popular (given its location in the Chinese theater) as well the reception so far. Is it possible that they could add more queuing in a small structure? This could be a serious problem with a line stretching for a long while leading to congestion in the park.

Ponderer

Now THAT would have been something to celebrate and would have really elevated the park.

I guess my thinking is - and I say this as a filmmaker and a film buff - it seemed unconscionable that WDW didn't have a straight up ride celebrating Mickey cartoons. As neat as GMR was, I'm more than happy to have this instead, a celebration of the characters and spirit that literally started the whole Disney empire. I always felt that GMR was much more a celebration of MGM than Disney.

I would have preferred having both rides, of course, but if there had to be a choice, I would've gone this way 100 percent of the time.

Thoughts:

1.) If someone goes in "blind" and rides this before Rise of the Resistance, it will diminish how special Rise is. It's weird have two trackless ride systems in the same park, opening so close to each other.

2.) This ride feels inefficient in that it uses the massive space of GMR just because it "can". Many of the rooms feel gigantic and almost barren outside of projections. I'd prefer each room to be smaller and not feel like we are dancing around a warehouse. It's odd to duplicate this attraction in Disneyland.

Disney Analyst

Especially with Disney owning Fox. They could have easily removed the aging ride vehicle system, installed a new tracked version or trackless system like MMRR, and then updated the scenes with owned IP so they didn’t have to worry about licensing and stuff.

Surferboy567

Especially with Disney owning Fox. They could have easily removed the aging ride vehicle system, installed a new tracked version or trackless system like MMRR, and then updated the scenes with owned IP so they didn’t have to worry about licensing and stuff.

Disney didn’t even have Fox on their radar when they closed GMR. Or maybe they did but it will still too early in the process.

Surferboy567

Didn’t they announce the acquisition plans shortly after it closed? They clearly would have known both were on the radar.

According to Wikipedia “On November 6, 2017, CNBC reported The Walt Disney Company was negotiating a deal with Rupert Murdoch to acquire 21st Century Fox's filmed entertainment, cable entertainment, and direct broadcast satellite divisions, including 20th Century Fox, FX Networks, and National Geographic Partners.”

GMR closed on August 13, 2017 also according to Wikipedia

FigmentForver96

I guess my thinking is - and I say this as a filmmaker and a film buff - it seemed unconscionable that WDW didn't have a straight up ride celebrating Mickey cartoons. As neat as GMR was, I'm more than happy to have this instead, a celebration of the characters and spirit that literally started the whole Disney empire. I always felt that GMR was much more a celebration of MGM than Disney.

I would have preferred having both rides, of course, but if there had to be a choice, I would've gone this way 100 percent of the time.
Well the ride wasn’t made to celebrate Disney. Disney was celebrating the movies. People can’t appreciate a concept like that now because Disney is just Mickey Mouse and Elsa and any other character that can sell on shirts and cheap cups.

Ponderer

Well the ride wasn’t made to celebrate Disney. Disney was celebrating the movies. People can’t appreciate a concept like that now because Disney is just Mickey Mouse and Elsa and any other character that can sell on shirts and cheap cups.

Yeah, I get that. But my point is that there wasn‘t a major Mickey attraction, nor one that celebrated the literal starting point of the Disney enterprise. It was ridiculously conspicuous by its absence.

(I get amused by being peeved by merchandising, though, when Walt’s own Mickey merchandise was so hypersaturated and ubiquitous that it was a joke by the 40s. :) )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom