Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Rich Brownn

This is the kind of effect that should have been tried out with static projections in the lab ... possibly wheeling each other around in carts to test the effect of movement 🛒

It seems that Disney snoozed in missing the chance to license a couple of technologies that Universal scooped up: the 3D illusion formerly used in Disaster and more recently in Harry Potter attractions, and Kuka arms.
That was simply an updated Pepper's Ghost - no 3D. Just a projection onto a reflective/transparent surface. Much like the Haunted Mansion ballroom scene.

ifuhadreams

Just go in expecting an enjoyable ride and a fun new addition to the studios. This isn’t rise of the resistance but should be cool in it’s own way.

That’s what I’m doing anyways, this entire premise has me super interested
the thing is, this needs to be a worthy replacement for GMR. If it falls short in any way, it is destined to disappoint many. Considering this is housed inside the park icon in the center of the park, it needs to blow people away in my opinion.

Surferboy567

the thing is, this needs to be a worthy replacement for GMR. If it falls short in any way, it is destined to disappoint many. Considering this is housed inside the park icon in the center of the park, it needs to blow people away in my opinion.

I think it will blow people away. However, if you go in thinking about what came before you will always be disappointed. We have to judge the runaway railway on it’s own merits not GMR’s.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
even just the rhetoric coming from marketing and WDI might lead to unrealistic expectations I would think.

If one were to believe marketing, then:
  • You actually visit alien planets/moons
  • Magic is real
  • Animal Kingdom is not a zoo
  • You really are making a movie You really are in a movie
(Garbage cans and exit signs and packed-in crowds of tourists in a queue notwithstanding.)

Hawg G

There’s concern social media has whipped up a frenzy that might leave some disappointed.

This should surprise no one. DizNoids are so biased. FoP would be a very non phenomenal ride at Universal. RotR is being lauded as a state of the art masterpiece, even though it does nothing that hasn’t been around for 10+ Years.

The hype is so high on this, and after Disney finally DID open a top notch E ticket ride this ride is in a tough spot. Although the DizNoids will still be posting how they cried after getting off, many in the public will go “that didn’t look like Mickey”, or the dreaded “Universal does nothing but screen based rides”.

Of course, the main issue at ALL WDW parks remains that as attendance has skyrocketed for 20 years, ride capacity has been damn near flat.

Smooth

1581788671152.png

Josh Hendy

I think that the problem with DHS was always that it was a rushed, half-azzed effort and instead of steadily growing the park to be full sized, Disney went with the "4 great parks!" marketing slogan and after adding an off-the-shelf launch coaster and cloning Tower of Terror, let things slide and deteriorate. Now they have a new, exciting land plus a new, fairly ordinary land and people are literally going nuts trying to game the apps and projected opening dates and squeeze all the novelty out of the orange to make the drive over there and the extra days on their park passes "worth it".

UNCgolf

FoP would be a very non phenomenal ride at Universal.

I wouldn't agree with that, but that's mainly because I dislike the majority of rides at Universal as opposed to thinking Flight of Passage is something singularly great.

It seems like I'm one of the only people in the world who feels this way, but Forbidden Journey is poorly designed -- it's incredibly uncomfortable to ride because it jerks you around all over the place. It gave me horrendous motion sickness and my GF actually had neck pain after riding it from getting whipped around.

ifuhadreams

I wouldn't agree with that, but that's mainly because I dislike the majority of rides at Universal as opposed to thinking Flight of Passage is something singularly great.

It seems like I'm one of the only people in the world who feels this way, but Forbidden Journey is poorly designed -- it's incredibly uncomfortable to ride because it jerks you around all over the place. It gave me horrendous motion sickness and my GF actually had neck pain after riding it from getting whipped around.
thats funny because I think FOP is just another simulator, a well done simulator with great graphics and sound, but just like any other nonetheless. I would be fine if they never built another attraction using the flying theater tech ever again. To me they are all the same yielding the same experience no matter what the content.

UNCgolf

thats funny because I think FOP is just another simulator, a well done simulator with great graphics and sound, but just like any other nonetheless. I would be fine if they never built another attraction using the flying theater tech ever again. To me they are all the same yielding the same experience no matter what the content.

I agree with this. I think you can get 90% of the FoP experience by watching a video of it at home (especially if you're watching it on a large high quality screen), which is why I'm not a big fan of screen-based rides. That also describes most of the rides at Universal, though (most of them are just simulators), and FoP doesn't make me sick the way some of those Universal rides do.

Forbidden Journey is theoretically better because it's a mix of screens and other effects, but the roughness is too much.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I agree with this. I think you can get 90% of the FoP experience by watching a video of it at home (especially if you're watching it on a large high quality screen), which is why I'm not a big fan of screen-based rides. That also describes most of the rides at Universal, though (most of them are just simulators), and FoP doesn't make me sick the way some of those Universal rides do.

Forbidden Journey is theoretically better because it's a mix of screens and other effects, but the roughness is too much.

I'm sorry you can't find the joy in FoP that I do... or the many, many people who scream during the drops. That's not something that happens watching a high definition video at home.

Considering the dislike for flying theaters... y'all may want to skip the new Marvel Land at DCA...

Surferboy567

I'm sorry you can't find the joy in FoP that I do... or the many, many people who scream during the drops. That's not something that happens watching a high definition video at home.

Considering the dislike for flying theaters... y'all may want to skip the new Marvel Land at DCA...

I scream though the drops...as someone who watches POV’s all the time. I have to agree with @MisterPenguin you don’t get that feeling at home. I don’t think it takes away to watch a POV either.

tirian

This should surprise no one. DizNoids are so biased. FoP would be a very non phenomenal ride at Universal. RotR is being lauded as a state of the art masterpiece, even though it does nothing that hasn’t been around for 10+ Years.

The hype is so high on this, and after Disney finally DID open a top notch E ticket ride this ride is in a tough spot. Although the DizNoids will still be posting how they cried after getting off, many in the public will go “that didn’t look like Mickey”, or the dreaded “Universal does nothing but screen based rides”.

Of course, the main issue at ALL WDW parks remains that as attendance has skyrocketed for 20 years, ride capacity has been damn near flat.
At the MK and Epcot, capacity was higher in the late 80s–early 2000s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom