Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Josh Hendy

I don't understand why anyone would want to watch this thing on a 4 inch smartphone instead of experiencing it in person for the first time.
Quite right!

However since we have no trip planned at the moment we got in the habit of watching movies then finding the latest ride POV video on YT right after. Frozen, Minions, etc.

Surferboy567

I’m just extra excited for this their seems to be a great deal of secrecy around this attraction. So many factors I’m excited to see executed.

Surferboy567

There’s really not that much that isn’t already known though. Most elements of the ride have already been discussed.

Yeah we know the scenes...I’m not sure why I’m excited to see in practice.

Here is some things:

1.) We don’t know the theme song
2.) Preshow Effect
3.) 2 1/2 D
4.) Mickey Short Dynamic

Castle Cake Apologist

There’s really not that much that isn’t already known though. Most elements of the ride have already been discussed.

I'm honestly on the same page as him, though. I don't think I've ever had this feeling about a new attraction before, but it feels like I know both everything and nothing about this ride. Like, we know the scene names and the basic function of the ride, but I feel like we've seen next-to-nothing regarding the execution of the ride's effects.

Every preview they do seems to only take place in the load area, so I'm having trouble even envisioning what the sets will look like, especially once the mapping is running.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I understand that, but there's still something special about your first time on a new ride and not knowing what's going to happen 😍

Yeah, you can't beat the experience of riding a ride when you don't know what it does ahead of time.
I've deliberately avoided finding out too much about RotR - though I still know to much.
Likewise FoP.
And Runaway Railway.
I want to experience all of these knowing as little as I can going in.

NelsonRD

I have heard what makes this attraction good, not great, is the 2 1/2 D effects (Multiple projections of images on transparent scrims) is not as effective as hoped. Any truth to this?

Josh Hendy

I have heard what makes this attraction good, not great, is the 2 1/2 D effects (Multiple projections of images on transparent scrims) is not as effective as hoped. Any truth to this?
This is the kind of effect that should have been tried out with static projections in the lab ... possibly wheeling each other around in carts to test the effect of movement 🛒

It seems that Disney snoozed in missing the chance to license a couple of technologies that Universal scooped up: the 3D illusion formerly used in Disaster and more recently in Harry Potter attractions, and Kuka arms.

No Name

A guest standing in the queue is a guest that is not sitting at home drinking a glass of tequila while watching Monday Night Football. PBS

Huh? Doesn’t even remotely answer why doubling attraction capacity would make the place less profitable than not doubling it.

Did they start selling stuff in the line? I noticed a drink stand in the outside queue of SR a couple weeks ago.

Yeah they‘ve sold snacks and drinks in the FoP queue. Didn’t know about SR.

yensidtlaw1969

This is the kind of effect that should have been tried out with static projections in the lab ... possibly wheeling each other around in carts to test the effect of movement 🛒

It seems that Disney snoozed in missing the chance to license a couple of technologies that Universal scooped up: the 3D illusion formerly used in Disaster and more recently in Harry Potter attractions, and Kuka arms.
. . . The effects, like always, were tested extensively in the "lab". That said, sometimes things don't work the way you planned once you've got them all in the same space together.

Often a special effect will be tested in isolation to optimize for what it requires to be 100% effective . . . and when you're developing different effects for one environment at the same time, you're not always able to account for the way they will affect one another until you're "in the field" and they're already affecting each other. At which point you only have time and money to try to compromise as best you can and try to optimize for each elements' effectiveness before going totally public. That's not always enough time to make everything work they way it did in the shop.

A famous example of this is the original Hatbox Ghost at Disneyland's Haunted Mansion - the effect was Blacklight-based and worked properly in the studio, but was thwarted in the ride by the ambient blacklight in the scene. Attempts were made to renegotiate both the amount of blacklight in the scene and the extent to which the figure's effect was dependent on blacklight . . . ultimately it was decided that the best answer was to pull him from the scene. It would have been simple enough to account for all this in the studio if it was known they'd have to account for it, but you don't know what you don't know.

Part of the blessing and curse of special effects - especially exciting ones - is that they're often working prototypes and being invented as they go. For all the tech there is now to figure things out before hand, there are still blind spots that don't become visible until install. "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is".

I say all this with no inside knowledge of how install is going at MMRR - but it wouldn't surprise me if the 2 1/2D effects that sold this ride aren't as compelling in the attraction as they were at Imagineering. It would not be the first time something like that has happened. Though it would be unfortunate just the same.

Surferboy567

. . . The effects, like always, were tested extensively in the "lab". That said, sometimes things don't work the way you planned once you've got them all in the same space together.

Often a special effect will be tested in isolation to optimize for what it requires to be 100% effective . . . and when you're developing different effects for one environment at the same time, you're not always able to account for the way they will affect one another until you're "in the field" and they're already affecting each other. At which point you only have time and money to try to compromise as best you can and try to optimize for each elements' effectiveness before going totally public. That's not always enough time to make everything work they way it did in the shop.

A famous example of this is the original Hatbox Ghost at Disneyland's Haunted Mansion - the effect was Blacklight-based and worked properly in the studio, but was thwarted in the ride by the ambient blacklight in the scene. Attempts were made to renegotiate both the amount of blacklight in the scene and the extent to which the figure's effect was dependent on blacklight . . . ultimately it was decided that the best answer was to pull him from the scene. It would have been simple enough to account for all this in the studio if it was known they'd have to account for it, but you don't know what you don't know.

Part of the blessing and curse of special effects - especially exciting ones - is that they're often working prototypes and being invented as they go. For all the tech there is now to figure things out before hand, there are still blind spots that don't become visible until install. "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is".

I say all this with no inside knowledge of how install is going at MMRR - but it wouldn't surprise me if the 2 1/2D effects that sold this ride aren't as compelling in the attraction as they were at Imagineering. It would not be the first time something like that has happened. Though it would be unfortunate just the same.

They seem confident so I am that the effect will work.

yensidtlaw1969

They seem confident so I am that the effect will work.
Oh, I'm not saying the effect won't work - I have no way of knowing until things open and we see for ourselves.

I'm just saying that the nature of special effects for live applications is often such that the thing we see in the finished attraction is slightly less impactful than the version that was created to demonstrate the idea. Even when you try your best to account for everything, R&D phase work often only accounts for selective reality.

Once you're in the space with everything else in place, total reality sets in and you've got to fine tune to negotiate all the pieces. Sometimes you get lucky and they favor each other and your effect is pristine. Sometimes you don't and your effect ends up watered down from what was planned.

That can be hard to overcome on site because you're hemmed in by the rest of the attraction, deadlines looming, and less money to work with - this is how we as guests sometimes end up with effects in the park where we look and say "how did THAT make it into the ride??"

The test footage Disney released back in the day from this attraction looked cool - it will be interesting to see how it compares to the finished product.

Surferboy567

Oh, I'm not saying the effect won't work - I have no way of knowing until things open and we see for ourselves.

I'm just saying that the nature of special effects for live applications is often such that the thing we see in the finished attraction is slightly less impactful than the version that was created to demonstrate the idea. Even when you try your best to account for everything, R&D phase work often only accounts for selective reality.

Once you're in the space with everything else in place, total reality sets in and you've got to fine tune to negotiate all the pieces. Sometimes you get lucky and they favor each other and your effect is pristine. Sometimes you don't and your effect ends up watered down from what was planned.

That can be hard to overcome on site because you're hemmed in by the rest of the attraction, deadlines looming, and less money to work with - this is how we as guests sometimes end up with effects in the park where we look and say "how did THAT make it into the ride??"

The test footage Disney released back in the day from this attraction looked cool - it will be interesting to see how it compares to the finished product.

Oh, yes I’m sure the effect has a chance of not being pristine I just feel by now, with so much time to get everything right (multiple delays and the like) by now they should have everything working perfectly. Yes, you bring up some good points here budget impacting the attraction etc. While, that’s all a possibility I feel by now after the years of development and fine tuning they should have it down to a science. Could be wrong though hope I’m not.

Jones14

I will say that the effects don’t have to be mind blowing for it to still be a really fun ride. I’m excited that the parks use innovative technology, but I’m worried we as guests are becoming too focused on whether or not a ride is “groundbreaking” than whether or not it’s fun.

Just look at Star Wars. Smuggler’s Run is more ambitious than Rise and Hagrid’s when it comes to truly new technology, but the end result is decidedly lesser than the other two attractions. And yes, I know Rise is on a larger scale, but they’re all meant to be headliners.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom