News 'Star Wars A Galaxy Far, Far Away' stage show and some meet and greets to end alongside entertainment shift to Galaxy's Edge?

Timmay

I'm still waiting for the First Order troopers to patrol the streets, mark through, ensure order and maybe even apprehend a dressed up
CM resistance member.
Alas....nothing.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding...but are you saying this doesn’t happen?

peter11435

There's nothing more immersive about Space Adventure Land (in space) than when you put some hokey show on one of the stages.

I'm still waiting for the First Order troopers to patrol the streets, mark through, ensure order and maybe even apprehend a dressed up
CM resistance member.
Alas....nothing.
Have you been there? Because everything in your post happens all day every day and has since the land opened.

Timmay

Have you been there? Because everything in your post happens all day every day and has since the land opened.
Yeah, this was going to be my point if there was a response. Just on Tuesday the 28th I counted no less than 4 pairs of troopers, 1 Kylo Ren, a Chewie and Rey...all at the same time. And all were interacting with guests.

RobWDW1971

Yeah, this was going to be my point if there was a response. Just on Tuesday the 28th I counted no less than 4 pairs of troopers, 1 Kylo Ren, a Chewie and Rey...all at the same time. And all were interacting with guests.
Wow "4 pairs of troopers, Kylo, Chewie, AND Rey?! In a 14 acre land?! Man, if you could only see that many characters in Fantasyland every day of the year, that would be amazing!

They really blew it out of the water with Galaxy's Edge coming to life - must have felt like a living, breathing spaceport with all of those characters filling the land!

Are there any Earthlings in this place or just a sea of Star Wars characters?! Am I walking through ComicCon?! Is this a Star Wars Weekend?!

Timmay

Wow "4 pairs of troopers, Kylo, Chewie, AND Rey?! In a 14 acre land?! Man, if you could only see that many characters in Fantasyland every day of the year, that would be amazing!

They really blew it out of the water with Galaxy's Edge coming to life - must have felt like a living, breathing spaceport with all of those characters filling the land!

Are there any Earthlings in this place or just a sea of Star Wars characters?! Am I walking through ComicCon?! Is this a Star Wars Weekend?!
Yeah yeah...we get it. You’ve made your point pretty clear...on multiple occasions, in the same sarcastic, worn out manner. It may boggle your mind, but not everyone actually agrees with you, but keep right on tooting that horn.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Fellow posters, allow me to translate from Nerdragic to Human:

The streetmosphere that Batuu has is a good start, but I'd like to see much more.

yensidtlaw1969

Fellow posters, allow me to translate from Nerdragic to Human:

The streetmosphere that Batuu has is a good start, but I'd like to see much more.
Over this past week I've finally gone back and watched all the Star Wars movies for the first time all the way through as an adult - had general memories of the OG trilogy, had more specific but scattered memories of the prequels, and hadn't seen any of the Disney trilogy . . . and still have to catch Rise of Skywalker before it leaves theaters (And then I threw in Solo and Rogue One, which I also hadn't seen).

The thing that stood out to me was how really character driven they are. On the basis of location it's all very "flavor of the week" - you almost never see them in the same place twice. A good amount of the fun seemed to be getting to discover a new planet along with the characters. So that, to me, totally validated the idea of building a new planet. It actually made the notion seem that much more brilliant, and it was certainly a bigger risk than building an existing place. Your mileage may vary on how well it worked, but conceptually the idea seems well founded to me.

That said, the reason that you CAN go to all these different places in Star Wars and have it still feel like Star Wars is because of the characters that populate those spaces. That's the through-line that keeps you on track. The Main Characters, sure, but also the droids, and the creatures, and the bounty hunters. And the Stormtroopers. And they're aaaaall over.

As someone who already felt like Galaxy's Edge needed more of the streetmosphere that was promised, it definitely feels even more essential now. If Disney wants to allocate the resources of the weird, uncomfortable stage show over to Galaxy's Edge, then it sort of seems like killing two birds with one stone. Though I do always wonder when WDW seems to "trade in" one project for another instead of building new - but at least this one seems guided by some sense of artistic integrity. Or at the very least it's likely that will be an accidental net result of it.

Watching all the movies from across the years and seeing the best and worst parts of them up next to each other so closely also made me question for the first time the wisdom of building a major new Star Wars attraction based around a simulator -- One of the greatest joys across these movies are when the practical effects are given the chance to shine. This is no doubt part of all the love being heaped on Rise. But in building a ride that that so heavily relies on the the tool that belies the most frustrating parts of the series' visuals is maybe a weird choice, if one that's understandable in context. And thankfully there IS a very practical aspect to Smuggler's Run, but it's totally frontloaded in the experience. But perhaps that sentiment is better suited to another thread!

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I liked Galaxy's Edge, but I did not see anything like that at all when I was there.

As to the point of this topic -- I hope they get rid of that stage entirely. It's a huge eyesore that screws up the sightlines of the park.

peter11435

I liked Galaxy's Edge, but I did not see anything like that at all when I was there.

As to the point of this topic -- I hope they get rid of that stage entirely. It's a huge eyesore that screws up the sightlines of the park.
I’m honestly not sure how you missed it. I have never once walked through the land without seeing troopers and some assortment of Rey, Chewie, Kylo, and Vi. Usually all of them. They are basically always out.

As for the “stage.” It’s on wheels. They get rid of it every night so there’s no reason to believe it won’t be gone if it’s not needed for the show anymore.

YodaMan

I’m honestly not sure how you missed it. I have never once walked through the land without seeing troopers and some assortment of Rey, Chewie, Kylo, and Vi. Usually all of them. They are basically always out.

As for the “stage.” It’s on wheels. They get rid of it every night so there’s no reason to believe it won’t be gone if it’s not needed for the show anymore.

I believe the current plan is to use the stages in the morning for rope drop (the huge signs directing guests towards SWGE and TSL are considered beneficial) and the roll them backstage once the park is open and the morning crowds have died down.

BromBones

Random characters interacting with guests is not "fully immersive". Stop lowering the bar for Disney. When they say "fully immersive"..then we expect more from Disney. And once again...they take the cheaper, easier, lazy way out.

UNCgolf

There actually were some troopers out now that you mention it -- saw two at one point. Definitely didn't see Chewie, Rey, or Kylo. Could have seen Vi but I have no idea who that is so I wouldn't know. It's also possible that Chewie, Rey, and/or Kylo were all out, but just all happened to be in a different area of the land than I was at any given time. Seems unlikely, but not impossible.

And I know it's on wheels -- meant that I hope they don't try to replace it with a different show that still uses that stage. It should never be out again.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Stop lowering the bar for Disney.
So beautifully and succinctly put.

How people on these boards twist themselves into pretzels rationalizing that a couple random characters somehow even begins to create an immersive Star Wars world over a 14 acre land has been nothing short of hysterical to witness.

I was in WDW a couple of weeks ago with some friends that aren't huge Disney people and are casual fans of Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter, etc. and hadn't been to the parks in years. With no pre-commentary, we did Universal Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley and then went the next day to do SWGE. Afterwards, I asked them which areas felt more alive, lived in, and "immersive" and they just laughed and said Harry Potter, of course, as if the comparison was ridiculous on its face.

I then told them that the Imagineers who did SWGE after the Harry Potter lands were open are now talking about how they created groundbreaking "immersive" lands - the look on their face was priceless.

Last edited:

JohnD

For the life of me, I still don't understand why they didn't keep March of the First Order but just do it within GE. Would be totally in theme and add the atmosphere.

Except for the camera crew. Works on Hollywood Blvd because, well, you’re still in “Hollywood”. Camera crews would break the fourth wall in GE.

TrainsOfDisney

Except for the camera crew. Works on Hollywood Blvd because, well, you’re still in “Hollywood”. Camera crews would break the fourth wall in GE.

Since there aren’t screens in Galaxies edge a camera crew would be a bit pointless anyways.

Goups of Stormtroopers marching, Citizens of Batuu, short character skits on the stages would all be low budget, quick solutions for adding more life to GE. Ultimately it would be great for droids and alien creatures to always be up to something around the land even if that’s on the stages and not roaming the streets.

Timmay

Random characters interacting with guests is not "fully immersive". Stop lowering the bar for Disney. When they say "fully immersive"..then we expect more from Disney. And once again...they take the cheaper, easier, lazy way out.
What are you even talking about? You’ve made a complete straw man argument. I was neither defending GE nor proclaiming its brilliance. I was responding to a post that stated there were no characters in the land. I refuted that, nothing more. I realize it’s essential for you and a couple of others to create your own narrative regardless of the topic or post.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Sorry no matter how much you want it to occur, it's not going to become Starwars LARPland. You can choose to use your "datapad" to explore the symbology around, interact with the cast members using stilted fake vocabulary, enjoy the face and furry characters that wander the land or try some of the strange foods or libations they dreamt up for this land. Then again, you dont.. you are free to engage at whatever level you may but there are real operational and safety constraints.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom