Journey Into Imagination With Figment To Be Replaced With An Inside Out Attraction?

Sharon&Susan

It was ditched at Disneyland where regulars were ready for something new. WDW has a different audience combined of mostly out-of-towners, and MuppetVision 3D has had a staying power there that HISTA and other 3D films have not had.

Muppets have had a variety of films spanning generations in various stages of popularity. The Muppets are timeless and appeal to Boomers, Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z who have each had them as a part of the cultural lexicon with their own relevant films and TV series in each generation without trying to appeal on nostalgia alone.

You kinda contradicted yourself there, pardner. The puppets are timeless and appeal to Boomers, etc. etc. etc. except in California?

This is getting sad, dude.
The 3D shows at DLR are such a great way to determine the popularity of IPs.

Phillarmagic is always empty at DCA, guess that means that Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, the Little mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King, and Peter Pan aren't popular! It can't be that 3D shows aren't as repeatable as actual rides, it must be the IPs that are at fault.

Magenta Panther

Notice the quotes around "ahead"? I meant "before you dig a deeper hole". You're not convincing anyone of anything, we've all seen your bias for some time now.

If I thought engaging further would be like anything other than talking to a wall maybe I'd give it a try. The history is out there and you can read about it for yourself - it's very interesting from both a Disney and Henson perspective, and your dismissal of it doesn't make it any less real.

In the meantime, you've taken the thread off topic for long enough. Feel free to cut it out.

What was that @marni1971 said about 2023 for Imagination? I can't believe we're not focusing more attention on that.

Feel free to actually prove your point instead of running away. But you won't, because you can't. Hey, you do you.

Magenta Panther

All you've done is continue to show the board that Kermit the Frog lives rent free in your head and your first instinct whenever hearing someone liking a puppet is picking a fight.

Kermit the Frog couldn't afford the rent in my head, toodles. His franchise is bankrupt.

Whew, I gotta say, your foam-rubber-and-felt-wrapped-around-a-man's-sweaty-hand-worshipping cult is really something. BTW, if it's true (hopefully not) that the puppets will take over Imagination and kick out Figment, how would you react? Given your avatar and all...

Magenta Panther

The 3D shows at DLR are such a great way to determine the popularity of IPs.

Phillarmagic is always empty at DCA, guess that means that Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, the Little mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King, and Peter Pan aren't popular! It can't be that 3D shows aren't as repeatable as actual rides, it must be the IPs that are at fault.

Oh puh-leeze. The characters/adaptations in Philharmagic are actual Disney creations. For that reason alone, they belong in the parks. The puppets have no such claim. Nice try.

FigmentJedi

Kermit the Frog couldn't afford the rent in my head, toodles. His franchise is bankrupt.

Whew, I gotta say, your foam-rubber-and-felt-wrapped-around-a-man's-sweaty-hand-worshipping cult is really something. BTW, if it's true (hopefully not) that the puppets will take over Imagination and kick out Figment, how would you react? Given your avatar and all...
You've been whining about the Muppets since at least 2012, your head's low-income housing.

And you're forgetting that the vague Blue Sky rumor that set off your umpteenth "Let's derail a thread into arguing about the Muppets" tirade on this board isn't even "Muppets evicting Figment" but "Muppet Labs evicting the Imagination Institute and Figment getting to trade Eric Idle for Bunsen and Beaker". It's not Dreamfinder coming back complete with a rubber Figment wrapped around his sweaty hand meet and greet, but it's something that'd probably mesh together better then forcing Figment to compete with Bing Bong in an Inside Out take over.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The puppets are timeless and appeal to Boomers, etc. etc. etc. except in California?

This is getting sad, dude.
Muppet*Vision wasn't exactly put in a great spot in either park, to be fair. Heck, California didn't even have them in a good PARK, much less a good location.

Hence why Philharmagic hasn't done anything in California, yet it's such a huuuuuge deal in Orlando. Location. If they had put Philharmagic in Fantasyland at Disneyland Park, it probably would have been a different story.

Put Muppets next to the Disney Jr show in HS and it would probably see a bigger draw in families.

Magenta Panther

Muppet*Vision wasn't exactly put in a great spot in either park, to be fair. Heck, California didn't even have them in a good PARK, much less a good location.

Hence why Philharmagic hasn't done anything in California, yet it's such a huuuuuge deal in Orlando. Location. If they had put Philharmagic in Fantasyland at Disneyland Park, it probably would have been a different story.

Put Muppets next to the Disney Jr show in HS and it would probably see a bigger draw in families.

Today's kids still wouldn't like them. As long as we're conjecturing here...

FigmentJedi

So it's okay with you if Dreamfinder - an actual Disney creation - is evicted in favor of non-Disney past-their-prime has-been puppet characters?

Delete your account.
Can't evict someone that got evicted 22 years ago. And god knows I've waited and hoped for him to come back for over 15 years, spread the gospel, bought the comics in floppy and trade form, get some of the LE merch. Hell, if you actually read the start of this discussion, I expressed a desire for Dreamfinder to be the Tim Curry/Michael Caine token human taking advantage of him looking like "Jim Henson in a blue suit" for this hypothetical endeavor. But in this environment, it is still a longshot that he actually does get to go home, since even with the comic sales leading to film talks, it just ended up being talks and Disney probably decided that greenlighting a live-action remake of Home on the Range would take priority over that.

You don't get to call me a fake Figment fan. Delete your account, free yourself from having to see all the filthy little Muppet fans.

Disneyson

To be fair, and to kind of cut this silly disagreement over taste at it’s knees, I feel personally that “Lady and the Tramp” has been a pretty dead property, and is far more problematic in it’s original form than either the Muppets or Figment (casual racism, re-enforcement of classic gender roles, lack of plot, fairly obscure characters), but they recently corrected many of it’s flaws in an admittedly uninspired remake and are selling tons of merch.

I see no reason why they wouldn’t give it a shot with a relatively blank slate character like Figment OR endlessly re-purposeable character like the Muppets.

Sharon&Susan

Oh puh-leeze. The characters/adaptations in Philharmagic are actual Disney creations. For that reason alone, they belong in the parks. The puppets have no such claim. Nice try.
When did I say I wanted Disney characters to be completely removed from the DLR or WDW? Or anyone here?

3D shows haven't been popular at DLR for over two decades now and it isn't really a good way to measure popularity, I don't want the Muppets in Epcot either. Not because of a lack of popularity, but because I don't think they fit into the park's message.

And the relatively low price for the Muppet brand and the few token attempts at new Muppet project, I don't think have hurt Disney at all. Unlike a certain sports network for the last decade.

FigmentJedi

I see no reason why they wouldn’t give it a shot with a relatively blank slate character like Figment OR endlessly re-purposeable character like the Muppets.
We all think of Figment and Dreamfinder as a package deal, but history has shown that Disney generally sees Figment as a standalone multi-purpose character. Thrown into the Institute, hosting an educational video series in his own little world with other Disney characters, Imagineering books using just him as a mascot, the painting Pixar keeps throwing into background cameo bits, Figment hanging out with the Mickey crew in Epcot merch and pin events, and taking title billing in the Journey into Imagination comics where Dreamfinder's the real main character.

And Figment's future is likely to follow in that same fashion.

trainplane3

Look everyone, it's a religious service for a "past-their-prime has-been foam-rubber-and-felt-wrapped-puppet-character-around-a-man's-sweaty-hand-worshipping cult".

In his off hours of leading sermons, he can make house...er...uh...hotel calls to help with any religious needs...
vnvBD9W.jpg

Figments Friend

My word....

..... ya'all have been busy.

:oops:

So yeah, how about that ol' Imagination Pavilion!

It sure will be nice to see the upcoming paint job whenever that eventually happens.
Finally, the harsh orange and reds of the 'Institute' will be going away and the light blues of yore will be back as the Gods intended.

Would be nice if the inside was given a 'throwback' to its past, too.

-

Magenta Panther

Can't evict someone that got evicted 22 years ago. And god knows I've waited and hoped for him to come back for over 15 years, spread the gospel, bought the comics in floppy and trade form, get some of the LE merch. Hell, if you actually read the start of this discussion, I expressed a desire for Dreamfinder to be the Tim Curry/Michael Caine token human taking advantage of him looking like "Jim Henson in a blue suit" for this hypothetical endeavor. But in this environment, it is still a longshot that he actually does get to go home, since even with the comic sales leading to film talks, it just ended up being talks and Disney probably decided that greenlighting a live-action remake of Home on the Range would take priority over that.

You don't get to call me a fake Figment fan. Delete your account, free yourself from having to see all the filthy little Muppet fans.

Uh, yes I do. And you don't know what Disney's future plans for Dreamfinder might be, but you've already written him off. In favor of a dated faded unprofitable non-Disney IP. As for the "filthy little Muppet fans", there aren't enough of them to raise enough of a stink to scare me off, as the boxoffice returns and ratings of their idols' most recent attempts at revival amply prove. Yeesh, seriously, dude, aren't even just a little bit ashamed to keep defending those things? Cultivate some taste, willya?

Magenta Panther

Look everyone, it's a religious service for a "past-their-prime has-been foam-rubber-and-felt-wrapped-puppet-character-around-a-man's-sweaty-hand-worshipping cult".

There you go again, dissing an original Disney creation. It's really sad that you can't discern the difference between Figment and Eisner's unfortunate puppet acquisition. Here's a clue: Figment actually sells merchandise.

Magenta Panther

To be fair, and to kind of cut this silly disagreement over taste at it’s knees, I feel personally that “Lady and the Tramp” has been a pretty dead property, and is far more problematic in it’s original form than either the Muppets or Figment (casual racism, re-enforcement of classic gender roles, lack of plot, fairly obscure characters), but they recently corrected many of it’s flaws in an admittedly uninspired remake and are selling tons of merch.

Dude...have you ever seen The Muppet Show? Let's see: misogyny, fat-shaming, stereotyping, puppets blowing each other up, beating each other up, mean-spiritedness...I can see why Disney stopped releasing more seasons of that show. Although I wish they would. It'd open a lot of eyes about how PC the Muppets in those days REALLY were.

As for the original version of Lady and the Tramp...it's a masterpiece. The "problems" in it are only there for whiny weenies who want to see them. Thankfully, most people do not. And it's so hypocritical. If the Siamese cats are racist caricatures, why aren't Tony and Joe? Because they're Caucasian and so it's okay to stereotype Italians?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom