Journey Into Imagination With Figment To Be Replaced With An Inside Out Attraction?

DanielBB8

If they intend to keep Figment and Imagination pavilion, it has to be more than finding your dream and a figment of your imagination. This is just tired as a premise. It doesn't work. Disney doesn't know how to make it work. It's pretty lame when the creativity is combined with your career aspirations. It's self-limiting. These Future World pavilions should not be construed as your next employment decision makers. You next job can't be inspired by lame creative choices that even Disney has a hard time showcasing.

Figment means "a thing that someone believes to be real but that exists only in their imagination." The only other ride that fits this description is the Pooh ride when he dreams of honey. Much more successful as a ride.

erasure fan1

But Disney has had a romance with muppets since 1988 that hasn’t produced much fruit.

The second muppet movie tanked...the series tanked.

This isn’t a controversial take...just saying a muppet overlay In Epcot is bad. And they’d never do it anyway
I'd say that the muppets have a good following. It will never be a 500 million franchise but the muppets 2011 did 165 million making a decent profit. The movie was well received all around. The problem is Disney hasn't got a clue as to how they should use them. Jason Segal cared about the franchise and it showed. Muppet vision 3d is always liked as well. But in traditional Disney fashion, they can't get a hold of the heart of the IP. You could say another franchise suffered from that as well. 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd say that the muppets have a good following. It will never be a 500 million franchise but the muppets 2011 did 165 million making a decent profit. The movie was well received all around. The problem is Disney hasn't got a clue as to how they should use them. Jason Segal cared about the franchise and it showed. Muppet vision 3d is always liked as well. But in traditional Disney fashion, they can't get a hold of the heart of the IP. You could say another franchise suffered from that as well. 😉
But every time they try to re-introduce/re-use them...they have limited broad appeal.

The glass ceiling for muppets has a lot of dents in it.

Even the first muppet movie didn’t do that well.

Magenta Panther

I'm sure you could advise Disney on how to "use" puppets that shot their wad at the end of the 1980's. :rolleyes:

Magenta Panther

I live close to sesame place, kids...I get that.

Disney doesn’t have the rights to CTW

But Disney has had a romance with muppets since 1988 that hasn’t produced much fruit.

The second muppet movie tanked...the series tanked.

This isn’t a controversial take...just saying a muppet overlay In Epcot is bad. And they’d never do it anyway

It isn't controversial at all, it's the truth. But the puppets have a cult following here who are convinced that if Disney would just do the puppets "right" (and God only knows what "right" means), they'd be as popular again as they were in the late 1970's. Seriously, some folks here believe that. I mean, what the hell, people? Why are you so hung up on characters whose voices are bad, writing is bad, and results are bad (can't sell merchandise, flop movies, flop show). Why can't you just let the things die with a little bit of dignity? Seems to me that trying to keep a dead franchise going like a bunch of foam-rubber zombies is hardly doing the legacy of Jim Henson any good. Just how bad do the puppets have to be before you're willing to say, "Okay, enough abuse already?"

FigmentJedi

It isn't controversial at all, it's the truth. But the puppets have a cult following here who are convinced that if Disney would just do the puppets "right" (and God only knows what "right" means), they'd be as popular again as they were in the late 1970's. Seriously, some folks here believe that. I mean, what the hell, people? Why are you so hung up on characters whose voices are bad, writing is bad, and results are bad (can't sell merchandise, flop movies, flop show). Why can't you just let the things die with a little bit of dignity? Seems to me that trying to keep a dead franchise going like a bunch of foam-rubber zombies is hardly doing the legacy of Jim Henson any good. Just how bad do the puppets have to be before you're willing to say, "Okay, enough abuse already?"
Why do you act like the Muppets killed your entire family and burned your house down?

erasure fan1

But every time they try to re-introduce/re-use them...they have limited broad appeal.

The glass ceiling for muppets has a lot of dents in it.

Even the first muppet movie didn’t do that well.
When the vast majority of what they've tried to introduce is not great, yea it has limited appeal. No one thinks the muppets will be a huge franchise again. I just have a hard time believing they are completely done when all we've got is not great.

I mean, what the hell, people? Why are you so hung up on characters whose voices are bad, writing is bad, and results are bad (can't sell merchandise, flop movies, flop show). Why can't you just let the things die with a little bit of dignity?
So what you are saying is Disney is the problem not the muppets. I get it now. Look, no one thinks the muppets will be this billion dollar franchise, they never were the biggest thing out there. But your nonsensical hate, like a muppet killed your pet is pretty funny. I would rather Disney put effort into the muppets instead of the trash remakes they keep shoving down our throats. And to answer your question about how I would "advise" Disney. I'd start by not excluding one of the main reasons the muppets had success in the first place, Frank Oz. At this point the muppets probably won't have a chance because Disney has mostly taken a dump all over them. But hey, I'll look for you in the parks with your I hate the muppets because Animal ate my dog T-shirt. ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My point is that Disney doesn’t put capex dollars into “minor” properties that don’t sell a lot of swag unless it’s completely advantageous to them.

Example: a cloned tron ride that doesn’t require R&D and can be plugged into a park with a land they’ve neglected that needs a moderate thrill ride to siphon crowds.

Muppets in a park with no identity as is?

Whoever green lights that would be removed by the board before the walls went up

Last edited:

gustaftp

I don't want to see Muppets in Imagination.

That said, the Muppets, while maybe not having the largest following of popularity, have also demonstrated that they can withstand the test of time more than most other IPs are capable of doing. The Muppets will continue to pull in audiences. "Honey I Shrunk the ___" or "Stitch", not so much.

FigmentJedi

That said, the Muppets, while maybe not having the largest following of popularity, have also demonstrated that they can withstand the test of time more than most other IPs are capable of doing. The Muppets will continue to pull in audiences. "Honey I Shrunk the ___" or "Stitch", not so much.
And Stitch found himself in a sorry state in America because of mismanagement of the brand in the form of pushing the character so hard and in your face he turned into Disney's Poochie, with Great Escape being a huge part of that. Still popular overseas in Asian territories, Japan just launched a new Stitch manga last month that tells a what-if story of Stitch landing in Sengoku-era Japan instead of modern Hawaii and befriending a Samurai warlord.

d35a87867986336864c7e69a0a9eb10769819ad2.jpg

Magenta Panther

When the vast majority of what they've tried to introduce is not great, yea it has limited appeal. No one thinks the muppets will be a huge franchise again. I just have a hard time believing they are completely done when all we've got is not great.

So what you are saying is Disney is the problem not the muppets. I get it now. Look, no one thinks the muppets will be this billion dollar franchise, they never were the biggest thing out there. But your nonsensical hate, like a muppet killed your pet is pretty funny. I would rather Disney put effort into the muppets instead of the trash remakes they keep shoving down our throats. And to answer your question about how I would "advise" Disney. I'd start by not excluding one of the main reasons the muppets had success in the first place, Frank Oz. At this point the muppets probably won't have a chance because Disney has mostly taken a dump all over them. But hey, I'll look for you in the parks with your I hate the muppets because Animal ate my dog T-shirt. ;)

No, I'm not saying Disney is the problem. The Muppets are the problem. They're dated, they're not relevant, they're done. The current generation doesn't care about them. They never will, no matter how hard Muppet-obsessed parents try to force them to like them. They haven't stood the test of time. Disney could better direct the money invested in them elsewhere. Especially in the parks.

Magenta Panther

Nope. Stitch can still sell merchandise well at the very least. As for "Honey, etc.", well, another movie's being made, and Rick Moranis is actually going to appear in it. We'll see how that goes.

FigmentJedi

No, I'm not saying Disney is the problem. The Muppets are the problem. They're dated, they're not relevant, they're done. The current generation doesn't care about them. They never will, no matter how hard Muppet-obsessed parents try to force them to like them. They haven't stood the test of time. Disney could better direct the money invested in them elsewhere. Especially in the parks.
That's your bias talking. You can't speak for thousands of people's opinions about Muppets when everybody laughs at you for hating them this strongly. The Muppets have been in stuck in this "Throw things at the wall and see what sticks" thing state since Disney bought them, but they're much better off then the character in your avatar that they basically abandoned doing anything new with once Epic Mickey 2 bombed, even if at the moment it's the Muppet Babies reboot and whatever the shortform Disney+ series is.

Magenta Panther

That's your bias talking. You can't speak for thousands of people's opinions about Muppets when everybody laughs at you for hating them this strongly. The Muppets have been in stuck in this "Throw things at the wall and see what sticks" thing state since Disney bought them, but they're much better off then the character in your avatar that they basically abandoned doing anything new with once Epic Mickey 2 bombed.

Oh, so Disney is responsible for Muppets flopping? Then how do you explain the massive bomb that was Muppets From Space? Disney had nothing to do with that. :cool:

professor_disney

I mean I really like the Muppets and i'm 19 but I guess i'm the minority in this generation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's your bias talking. You can't speak for thousands of people's opinions about Muppets when everybody laughs at you for hating them this strongly. The Muppets have been in stuck in this "Throw things at the wall and see what sticks" thing state since Disney bought them, but they're much better off then the character in your avatar that they basically abandoned doing anything new with once Epic Mickey 2 bombed, even if at the moment it's the Muppet Babies reboot and whatever the shortform Disney+ series is.
The muppets have some loyal gen X fans...and can be a mediocre property down the line that has followed.

But it’s not a “major” property...certainly not enough to drive new theme park development.

It’s always been surprising how much emphasis has put on them. I know Eisner had “a thing” for them but all that effort to have 1.5 forgettable movies and 6 shows ten years ago still baffles me...

When the new muppet babies isn’t good...the old one was great as was fraggle 😡

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom