Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm not going to get into the paranoia of the big scary world some above posters have clearly developed based on their reported life experiences.

However, what everyone needs to accept is that there are tens of millions of people who visit Walt Disney each and every year. It is absolutely not possible, nor is it reasonable to demand that Disney accommodate the fears and anxieties of every single guest who comes through the gates. Their goals are to get everyone though the process as quickly and safely as possible. And since an overwhelming majority of guests do not pay attention to their instructions, they are forced to get loud to get peoples attention. This is not going to change because of your personal life experience, nor should it.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Tapstiles.
I also prefer FP+.
I think which park you like can depend on which you consider your home park.
If you prefer DLR over WDW then that's probably why we clash.

I do... so I guess you’re right. Ha. :)

I grew up going to wdw and still go there more often. I love both but I do prefer the entrance, fp, and even the parade and fireworks viewing procudedures in California (although the fp being added to fantasmic is a bit annoying). Just seems more laid back to me.

unmitigated disaster

Yeah... to me this is more along the lines of a strange, guest unfriendly policy. In general I feel like the entire entrance procedure at WDW is more about efficiency than courtesy, compared to the same procedures at Disneyland. To be fair, I’ve seen longer lines at Disneyland for both security, and gate entrance, so I think the procedures are more efficient, but at a cost of cm’s rushing guests through what should be an exciting and welcoming experience.

It seems normal for me to want to wait in the same line as other family members, and keep the party together.
My father is elderly and uses a cane, so I prefer that he go through the bagless line so he can sit and wait.

I wish they had separate stroller-check lines, though.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
My father is elderly and uses a cane, so I prefer that he go through the bagless line so he can sit and wait.

I wish they had separate stroller-check lines, though.

That makes sense too. I don’t think there is anything wrong with groups splitting up if they want to, I just think groups should also be allowed to stay together if they want to.

Hank Hill

Do you prefer the tap points at wdw or the traditional turnstiles at Disneyland. I much prefer the traditional turnstiles.
I just wish they sped up the lights on the tap-stiles. People wait till the light spins a few times, lights up, and then put their finger on the scanner. As soon as the light spins, you can put your finger on the scanner and it will give you the go a lot faster. I understand a lot of people don't use them enough, but even in the passholder lines people go so slow. Not as much the guests fault, but they need to get the light timing changed IMO. Disney needs to work on efficiency not making it look cute.

Dad 2 M & M

I just wish they sped up the lights on the tap-stiles. People wait till the light spins a few times, lights up, and then put their finger on the scanner. As soon as the light spins, you can put your finger on the scanner and it will give you the go a lot faster. I understand a lot of people don't use them enough, but even in the passholder lines people go so slow. Not as much the guests fault, but they need to get the light timing changed IMO. Disney needs to work on efficiency not making it look cute.
Passholder line is one to avoid ... It is the slowest and has the most blue ringers....

Qscout

Happened when we were there, my wife never carries a bag. I have a backpack with what we need. While I waited in the bag queue I watched to see where she went once she was through the no bag checked. she would go through then wait for me in a shaded area. Not difficult at all to locate each other, she didn't go through the magicband scanner to enter the park.

In fact being seperated was much more likely once we entered a shop.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Not to mention it may have a loaded diaper in it.....
Whoa! That's worse than a 23-19!
giphy.gif

drizgirl

It is not about teaching she is a black belt she is well aware of how to defend herself, but I have seen it happen twice once on my own block to Amber Hagerman once in a store not 20 feet away from me, neither one of these kids had any warning or any chance. Im usually not that overprotective at Disney but the large throng of thousands of people waiting to get into HS made me very uncomfortable.
You have experienced some very tragic and unusual events in your life. I'm really sorry you've gone through that. But it doesn't mean that everyone else is irresponsible in how they are parenting their own kids. Or that they would just "have another" to replace them if something happened to one of their kids. Those comments are actually pretty insulting.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
How? When there are diaper bags galore practically burying the kid, how can they let it go no bag?
1. People with kids carrying loads of crap into the park is more of an internet meme than a thing that happens in real life. Some people bring way too much stuff in the park, but that's definitely not limited to parents with diaper-age kids.

2. You send one parent with the backpack through the bag check line while the other parent goes through the no bag line with the stroller. Saves everyone time and space.

Minthorne

I read the title of this thread and was wondering if the Disney Divorce Dash was a new up-charge event at the park entrances. That, or they needed to restock IASW so they just grab a few new "cast members" from unsuspecting parents (take my kids, please!).

unmitigated disaster

1. People with kids carrying loads of crap into the park is more of an internet meme than a thing that happens in real life. Some people bring way too much stuff in the park, but that's definitely not limited to parents with diaper-age kids.

2. You send one parent with the backpack through the bag check line while the other parent goes through the no bag line with the stroller. Saves everyone time and space.
I've definitely seen the stroller loaded down at security at Disneyland; we've switched security lines more than a few times when we spotted them ahead of us.

JS514

Bag lines are the death of me. My wife and I carry one backpack usually, and legitimately do 'rock paper scissors' to see who has to go through the bag line. lol I can definitely see your side. However, this question does remind me of one specific instance I encountered this past September.

I had unfortunately drew the short straw and had to go through the bag line. We were at Studios. My wife was going to go on in and use the restroom and then I was going to meet her at Mickey's of Hollywood where we were going to buy a tshirt for a gift, grab her a pretzel, and head over to Tower for our fastpass. It was relatively busy, but not crazy crowded that. At this time, they didn't have anyone directing people to the no bag line. I went to the shortest bag line they had open (it was around 2:30pm, so they just had a select few)....there were probably about 20-25ish people in line in front of me. Out of those 20-25 people, there were 5 bags. No strollers. Just 5 bags. Due to each group having several people, the next bag couldn't be placed on the table and ready to go because they couldn't get to the table. So a bag would get inspected, then the person would be trying to zip everything up and corral all their group and get going to the detectors, then the next person was able to place their bag up on the table and get it unzipped. Rinse, repeat.
Swear to everything, by the time I got through that line, my wife had used the restroom, bought the tshirt (and something else for herself:rolleyes:), got a pretzel, ate said pretzel, and was sitting outside of Terror waiting for me.
The bag inspections themselves didn't take long, it was honestly just the whole ordeal of getting to the next person with a bag that was taking so long. The no bag line never really crossed my mind that day, but reading this post, I can't help but think of how much better of an experience that would've been if only one adult kept the bag and the rest of the group were directed to go through the no bag line. That was legitimately the longest line I waited in that day.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
A shop is fine there is not a massive throng of thousands of people,i would not have cared at an other park other than HS and that insane crowd .

I feel like your emotions have gotten the better of you in this thread as your logic is a bit backward.
You have a problem with your teen daughter walking through the no bag line and waiting likely within a distance that you can still see her with families and security officers in the area... yet you'll let her wander around alone in a gift shop that could span a city block while she's distracted by looking at all the merch...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom