Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

Dad 2 M & M

I was referring to the old policy, I didn’t know it changed. In my case I don’t have pre-check but have used it multiple times when I was booked with family members who did. This was a few years ago, and I see that policy has changed now.
They enforce the policy now.....in the past, when you were allowed to pass while with your family, it was at the discretion of the screener...

Jon81uk

, yes she can go to the restroom, but there is a big difference in that and a sea of thousands of people waiting at HS. Maybe when you have seen a child brutally raped and murdered you will be a little bit better of a parent.
The chances of something happening in a Disney park (not a hotel) is incredibly small anyway. But I would say that a teenager should have been raised smart enough to be aware of stranger danger, its not like a five year old who could be tempted away by someone with some sweets.
But I would say they are probably more at risk when stood outside the bathroom waiting for you to come out than they are in the heavily crowded area where if someone is doing something suspicious there are plenty of people and CCTV cameras to notice it.
But in general a well-brought up teen should be capable of looking after themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
It’s not “a big deal” for those of us who know the parks so well. But imagine a family walking up to Disney for the first time and being told they have to separate first thing... that’s a really odd first guest experience.
Anyone with a normal intelligence would comprehend it's only for the bag check area and they are not telling you that you must tour the parks separately.

OneofThree

I'm not sure how reasonable it is for to Disney to forcibly separate minors from their parents, if that is in fact what's happening.

Ted Daggett

Absolutely nothing wrong with you choosing that option. If a family wants to split up that works fine. For me and my senior mother, it’s much easier for us to stay together. Which we’ve been able to do at Disney parks on both coasts since security screening began.

It may not inconvenience you, but it’s a very guest unfriendly procedure. It’s really not a huge deal to me personally, it’s more about the principal. I should be able to stay with my mother at the entrance. I can’t think of any other situation where a family can’t remain in line together. TSA even allows family members without pre-check to go in the pre-check line with family members.

TSA only lets family members go into the Pre-Check line if they are under 12.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Getting the whole family leashes might help in this situation.

Just be careful, after getting my first leash I ended up spending a lot on other accessories. Most of which aren't appropriate for Disney. But that's a different story for a different website.

😲

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Don't act fake shocked 🙄

FPComgO.jpg

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
TSA only lets family members go into the Pre-Check line if they are under 12.

Yes, I realize that has now changed. In years past I’ve gotten to go through pre-check when booked with family. I don’t have pre-check. Still.. someone with pre-check could still wait with their family in the regular line if they wanted to so the comparison is still there.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yes, I realize that has now changed. In years past I’ve gotten to go through pre-check when booked with family. I don’t have pre-check. Still.. someone with pre-check could still wait with their family in the regular line if they wanted to so the comparison is still there.

Well, it'd be kind of crappy if they didn't wait with the rest of their family.

James J

In the Parks
No
I lived down the street from Amber Hagerman she was literaly ripped off her bike with no warning. We were in Kohls and a man probably 20 feet from us in the shoe department came up from behind and grabbed a teenage girl and picked her up screaming bloody murder and ran out of the store with her, you often times have no warning. She is all I have and if I am not comfortable with her being lost in a sea of thousands of men Disney should not force it, she is all I have, her Dad is dead and at my age I can't just have another and replace her. She is a black belt and well aware of 'Stranger Danger" and self defense, but that is not always enough.

I'm not entirely sure how any of this relates to a trip to WDW and you must have been to the parks at some odd, odd times if the entrance has just been 'a sea of thousands of men.'

As has already been said, if you get split up because of bag check, you pick a spot and say to meet you there. It's not difficult and I'm sure you both have phones. My wife and I go through separately when I have the bag and she doesn't. She waits literally at the other side of the bag check area and you could do the same if required. You're making quite the mountain out of a molehill.

Nobody is going to kidnap your teenage daughter at the parks, and she can keep the karate moved to herself. When I was 10 and my brother was 7 our parents would let us go on rides by ourselves. We were fine. It's not like we went on Splash Mountain and Brer Bear took us off and had his wicked way with us.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
This thread has gotten very dark and bizarre...
Are we still talking about entrance procedures at WDW parks?

Yeah... to me this is more along the lines of a strange, guest unfriendly policy. In general I feel like the entire entrance procedure at WDW is more about efficiency than courtesy, compared to the same procedures at Disneyland. To be fair, I’ve seen longer lines at Disneyland for both security, and gate entrance, so I think the procedures are more efficient, but at a cost of cm’s rushing guests through what should be an exciting and welcoming experience.

It seems normal for me to want to wait in the same line as other family members, and keep the party together.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Yeah... to me this is more along the lines of a strange, guest unfriendly policy. In general I feel like the entire entrance procedure at WDW is more about efficiency than courtesy, compared to the same procedures at Disneyland. To be fair, I’ve seen longer lines at Disneyland for both security, and gate entrance, so I think the procedures are more efficient, but at a cost of cm’s rushing guests through what should be an exciting and welcoming experience.

It seems normal for me to want to wait in the same line as other family members, and keep the party together.
Security at DLR is just as rushed and "unfriendly" in my experience.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Security at DLR is just as rushed and "unfriendly" in my experience.

Obviously personal experiences can vary... I spent a very lucky amount of time at Disneyland in the past year, sadly I did not renew my premier passport :( , and I always had good experiences. I felt it was more consistent and better explained. They even have signs over head explaining the process.

You seem argumentative in all of your posts to me... did I upset you? Or are you just annoyed that i have an opinion?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Obviously personal experiences can vary... I spent a very lucky amount of time at Disneyland in the past year, sadly I did not renew my premier passport :( , and I always had good experiences. I felt it was more consistent and better explained. They even have signs over head explaining the process.

You seem argumentative in all of your posts to me... did I upset you? Or are you just annoyed that i have an opinion?
Not annoyed that you have an opinion just countering them with my own experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom