News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

techgeek

Which brings us back to the question of what is causing the extended outages.

Has anyone ever seen a report of long interruptions on the studios or pop lines? Presumably every line suffers from the same twitchy CMs and stupid guest antics, but extended outages seem to be restricted to the complexity of the Epcot line.

Given that they’ve also had ample time to correct any operations / procedural issues, in my view that leaves us with hardware or engineering issues unique to that line.

WallyWorld

I have to wonder how many actual delays happen caused by anything other then stupid guests and how long those delays have truly been. The human animal is notoriously stupid and tends the exaggerate to a criminal degree. If it isn't mechanical then it is something out of the control of Disney or the manufacturer. Since the system wasn't built by Disney then it is the fault of the Manufacturer who I wouldn't be surprised have had a whole lot of loud screaming in their ears.

Aren't you doing just that?

Magic Feather

Has anyone ever seen a report of long interruptions on the studios or pop lines? Presumably every line suffers from the same twitchy CMs and stupid guest antics, but extended outages seem to be restricted to the complexity of the Epcot line.

Given that they’ve also had ample time to correct any operations / procedural issues, in my view that leaves us with hardware or engineering issues unique to that line.
Pop-DAAR has also had some issues with extended downtimes. At least DHS has been running well.

Goofyernmost

Disney has been in the stupid guest business for many years. It's on them to offer systems that minimize the impact that can have on the non-stupid guests.
So I guess they should just supply a whole fleet of little red wagons. The guests should be required to have an IQ higher then a rock.
The first thing you know someone would fall out of the wagon and Disney would be criticized because the sides of the wagon weren't high enough or the pavement should be padded.

Goofyernmost

Aren't you doing just that?
No, I don't think so. Look at the news and it will confirm just how stupid people are and how much exaggerating is done. Besides I said tend too, not all humans are stupid. There is me and a couple of others that don't leave their brains home when on vacation. That last sentence was exaggeration, see the difference?.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
I took the Skyliner again yesterday from Epcot to Hollywood Studios, and it seems the Epcot/Riviera line is the one with the most issues and problems, due to the complexity of the Riviera stopover. I only had a brief 1 minute-ish stop yesterday, but it was much much longer on my Monday trip, as I detailed here;
It's probably nothing, but we're currently in a standstill on the Epcot line above Buena Vista Dr. for at least 15 minutes now. (stopped at 9:08)

This was our first time using the Skyliner today, got on at Hollywood Studios to go to Epcot.
View attachment 435946View attachment 435947

Edit: a manual announcement just came on (not automated) saying it's delayed until further notice. I hope it's not what I fear..

Edit2: It resumed around 9:35ish. Although it was stop and go from there.

I really like the system, however there were many concerned and mad(?) guests when we got off at International Gateway.
The HS line always seems to run perfectly from the 4 times I've used that line. One time I had to take a bus from Caribbean station bc the Epcot line was down temporarily.

Lift Blog

I took the Skyliner again yesterday from Epcot to Hollywood Studios, and it seems the Epcot/Riviera line is the one with the most issues and problems, due to the complexity of the Riviera stopover. I only had a brief 1 minute-ish stop yesterday, but it was much much longer on my Monday trip, as I detailed here;

The HS line always seems to run perfectly from the 4 times I've used that line. One time I had to take a bus from Caribbean station bc the Epcot line was down temporarily.
Which begs the question, why didn’t they just build a single hop from DHS to Epcot and another from Riviera to Trinidad? All the same destinations served with no angle stations.

Heppenheimer

I have never been on one of these, is this normal to have the stops and for such long stretches? Do they stop like this at all of the other locations in the mountains and such?
Been skiing for 30+ years. Prolonged stops do occur, but very rarely. I think I've been stuck in a gondola once for over 20 minutes and a few other times for about 10-15 minutes. Very short stops of about a minute or less are much more common.

So, I'm not sure why Disney's Skyliner is experiencing such problems. This season, Bretton Woods resort in New Hampshire opened a new Doppelmayr-built gondola, and on the days I've visited, the operation has been very smooth.

Movielover

Very short stops of about a minute or less are much more common.

So, I'm not sure why Disney's Skyliner is experiencing such problems.

Because when people enter a theme park setting their IQ's drop down somewhere in-between Neanderthal and the people who inhabit infomercials...

tenor.gif

techgeek

Which begs the question, why didn’t they just build a single hop from DHS to Epcot and another from Riviera to Trinidad? All the same destinations served with no angle stations.

One thing Disney can be counted on is to take something that should be simple and make it complicated.

I’m sure Dopp was caught up in the new relationship energy and wasn’t about to tell them anything they didn’t want to hear.

joelkfla

Probably to avoid guests having to make two transfers
Yes, even if the travel time is no longer, a double transfer is a psychological deterrent.

The other issue is capacity distribution. If the Epcot connection were via DHS, all Guests leaving Epcot would be competing with all Guests leaving DHS between DHS & CBR at park closing. and the reverse when DHS opening times return to normal.

Kamikaze

Been skiing for 30+ years. Prolonged stops do occur, but very rarely. I think I've been stuck in a gondola once for over 20 minutes and a few other times for about 10-15 minutes. Very short stops of about a minute or less are much more common.

So, I'm not sure why Disney's Skyliner is experiencing such problems. This season, Bretton Woods resort in New Hampshire opened a new Doppelmayr-built gondola, and on the days I've visited, the operation has been very smooth.

Some of this is that when it stops for extended periods, it gets reported A LOT. I'm sure if we actually kept a tracker (like the Everest effects thread) it wouldn't seem anywhere near as prevalent as it looks. I don't have the time to look back, but before @gerarar was stuck, how long ago was the last long stoppage that was reported?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom