Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

SplashJacket

Personally, I do not see the need to overlay Rise with OT characters.

By doing this, the land's timeline shenanigans would be thrown out. If we no longer care about this, then why not add another attraction which encapsulates the OT characters.

I do not see the need to swap characters in an already phenomenal attraction simply to appease certain groups.

Thus far, Rise has been tremendously successful. If it continues to be a smash hit then further expansion is encouraged.

It is like Innoventions, why demolish it down to add something cool, when something cool was already there. It needed some tremendous TLC, but for the price of complete replacement is not justifiable.

Why replace what already works (which doesn't need TLC) instead of waiting and expecting the OT to make an appearance in another area.

Then again, by guests complaining about the lack of OT characters, it incentivizes them to make an expansion with the OT as I really do not see them swapping the current characters in Rise out. So... Keep complaining?

Mike S

By doing this, the land's timeline shenanigans would be thrown out. If we no longer care about this, then why not add another attraction which encapsulates the OT characters.

I do not see the need to swap characters in an already phenomenal attraction simply to appease certain groups.

Thus far, Rise has been tremendously successful. If it continues to be a smash hit then further expansion is encouraged.

It is like Innoventions, why demolish it down to add something cool, when something cool was already there. It needed some tremendous TLC, but for the price of complete replacement is not justifiable.

Why replace what already works (which doesn't need TLC) instead of waiting and expecting the OT to make an appearance in another area.

Then again, by guests complaining about the lack of OT characters, it incentivizes them to make an expansion with the OT as I really do not see them swapping the current characters in Rise out. So... Keep complaining?
According to @marni1971 it’s more than just certain groups and no one credible has shot down the rumor of the ride being designed to be easily swapped if needed yet. For a bit of evidence the only non AA set piece that would require any real work that comes to mind is Poe’s X-Wing. Everything else in the Resistance base and Star Destroyer could remain mostly unchanged. The major work is mostly just the video segments, the voice work/script, and the AAs themselves.

The Millenium Falcon is also easily swappable come to think of it.

SplashJacket

According to @marni1971 it’s more than just certain groups and no one credible has shot down the rumor of the ride being designed to be easily swapped if needed yet. The Millenium Falcon is also easily swappable come to think of it.

Probably should have clarified, I didn't mean a small niche.

I meant more like Soarin'. A lot of people prefer Over California, myself included (definitely for nostalgic reasons more than anything). However, I would not want Over the World to be replaced, I would be perfectly fine with having 1/3 of the theaters having Over California and the others Over the World.

I would absolutely love to see a shiny Darth Vader right in front of me, but I don't think Kylo has to go to make it happen.

Star Tours does it best. If you are an OT fan, enjoy! Prequel fans, weird, but enjoy! Sequel fans, enjoy! Galaxy's Edge can be this way for the fans too. Give the fans something each of them will like.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm still so impressed with all the cast members that are around. There are so many.

IMG_6586.JPG

Before they decided that rope could exist in the Star Wars universe, the phalanx of CM were there to create a wall to coral guests.

Now, they're mostly there to castsplain to thousands of guests why there is no standby line and suggest they show up very early the next day 'to help the Resistance.'

Bleed0range

I’m an old school SW fan but I don’t think it does the land any favors to swap out Kylo for Vader etc. I see old school fans online saying they don’t want to see any characters they know in the Mandalorian yet they love the show. This land is similar in that it is a part of the SW universe that is familiar yet different. Is it just because of the controversy of The Last Jedi?

I really think if any ride was retrofitted it would work best with the Falcon. Just because I dunno, maybe they go through a wormhole back in time and suddenly you got Vader and X-Wings and you’re flying through a battle from the OT with another Millenium Falcon and they’re wondering what is going on. That seems doable.

I think the new movie will probably light the way for something cool they could do with the emperor in a future attraction.

Mike S

I’m an old school SW fan but I don’t think it does the land any favors to swap out Kylo for Vader etc. I see old school fans online saying they don’t want to see any characters they know in the Mandalorian yet they love the show. This land is similar in that it is a part of the SW universe that is familiar yet different. Is it just because of the controversy of The Last Jedi?

I really think if any ride was retrofitted it would work best with the Falcon. Just because I dunno, maybe they go through a wormhole back in time and suddenly you got Vader and X-Wings and you’re flying through a battle from the OT with another Millenium Falcon and they’re wondering what is going on. That seems doable.

I think the new movie will probably light the way for something cool they could do with the emperor in a future attraction.
It’s because the new characters aren’t at all compelling in the movies though I do admit the ride puts them to good use. Take the same story and put in the characters people have loved for 40+ years though? It could only elevate it.

Mando is the best lead character Disney has thus far put out but, well, he can’t be in the land either. Shame. I’m sure the lines to meet him and Baby Yoda would be fairly sizable.
You obviously have never ridden Haunted Mansion Holiday at Disneyland. Don't put any chance to do a overlay past Disney Imagineering.
The fact they pull that off after what, a month being closed? Proves they can change RotR to the OT.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

It’s because the new characters aren’t at all compelling in the movies though I do admit the ride puts them to good use. Take the same story and put in the characters people have loved for 40+ years though? It could only elevate it.

Mando is the best lead character Disney has thus far put out but, well, he can’t be in the land either. Shame. I’m sure the lines to meet him and Baby Yoda would be fairly sizable.

The fact they pull that off after what, a month being closed? Proves they can change RotR to the OT.

This year it only went down for 11 days. Truly remarkable.

CM.X777

Finally got to ride Rise in DHS this week.. the attraction was overall AMAZING.. but there are definitely some things I felt needed improvement in show and operations. I've listed them below under a spoiler tag just in case.

- The screens in the ITS are really small and only cater to the first people who walk in. I was in the back of the large herd and had to stand in the middle of the shuttle and could barely see the screens or the animatronics due to the large amount of people in front and behind me.. I wish they added "windows" along the sides and even above the ceiling of the ITS.

- The grouping in the star destroyer is MESSY. They have you stand on colored lines that match your vehicle before the preshow but those colors are completely lost in the detention cell... Everyone was looking on the floor to find their colors and there were none.. so everybody got all mixed up.. when the door finally opens, people were rushing and just getting into random rows and there was nobody explaining which color goes to which row.. it was a mess. This could be solved by using a "tower of terror" loading technique.. have the colors on the floor in the detention cell, then when the door breaks open have the resistance CM ask for 1 color at a time and board the correct rows, similar to how tower loads.

- The saber coming down from the ceiling looked way better in person than in videos! There is a cool fiery crackling effect inside the saber blade that isn't shown in POVs.. but the saber blade should have been longer.. It's too short and completely misses guests views... also bc the scene is super quick, I noticed a lot of guests not even notice it happening.. it doesn't come low enough in front of their face for them to see it... In the trailer, its so long it looks like it can almost slice through guests...

- The wall that falls in front of Kylo drops way too slow and looks a bit cheesy.. I was told that this was done on purpose to achieve a more slow motion effect but it just doesn't look that great to me in person.. having it aggressively break through and drop would be more impactful and dramatic..

Everything else was absolutely fantastic! Everyone is going to love this attraction!

To answer some of your points

1. There was a plan at one point to put "windows" on the top of the ITS, but budget.

2. The whole point of how the grouping is set up (and the attraction as a whole), is to not seem like an attraction. That's why there are no colors on the ground in the cell. The ToT grouping you are asking for would basically dumb down the ride, even more than has already happened. You're being broken out! Not slowly called row by to escape. The ride vehicles themselves have the corresponding colors/rows on them. Also some of this be worked out as the cast gets more used to how to manage people.

Movielover

^Also regarding the colors for rows: Does it make sense within the story that the First Order is assigning us a color and then, after the Resistance bursts in, they have us boarding a vehicle with the corresponding colors?

Theme park operation. That's just one of those things that you will never be able to eliminate. It's like the lit exit signs you can see in a lot of attractions, or like in Tower where you are in a haunted hotel, yet you have multiple bellhops giving you a number and then standing on a number waiting for your elevator. These things have to be there unfortunately no matter how well they are covered up.

bubbles1812

Cant they wax them or buff them out at the end of every day?
Meh... this isn’t really something you notice when you are on the ride. I think it’d be a super hassle but maybe they eventually will. It’d be a heck of a lot of buffing given the length of the ride. They are probably too focused on fixing ride kinks each night in the actual operations to even consider that right now.

disneygeek90

I believe the system checks that those applying for a BG have entered the park. It does this by checking GPS of the phone but also that tickets have been scanned. If your family aren't in the park then their tickets won't have been scanned. So in that instance I would say no?
Where are people getting the GPS info from? That logic just doesn’t make sense. Disney is qualifying “being in the park” as a scanned in ticket entrance. Just as they track how many visits APs have to Epcot for their cutting board/coasters/etc.

By that logic each person would need to book their own group on their own phone, since Disney would need to “check” if person B, C and D that person A tried to group up are all in the park via GPS.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom