News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

cmarten

My family and I are going in about a week. What time does security normally start checking bags at or would you recommend just going bag-less? And can you leave the park and either back to the hotel or a different park once you get a boarding group?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
What I can tell you is that currently those who are booking Club Level paid FPs for around the time the Runaway Train ride opens in early March, are not able to book Fos for either Galaxy Edge rides nor the Train ride.

Of course they could add FP for these rides before the 60 day window opens, but right now it looks as if they do not intend to use FPs for the foreseeable future.

Sure. But not using boarding groups is completely different than issuing FPs. Everyone seems to be answering based on when they thing FPs will become a thing, but the question was..... when will we not have boarding passes.

SR has neither.

DisneyJoe

My family and I are going in about a week. What time does security normally start checking bags at or would you recommend just going bag-less? And can you leave the park and either back to the hotel or a different park once you get a boarding group?
Security opened at 5:20am today, park opened just after 6:30

Yes, once you get your boarding group (and all of you must be IN the park to get the same group), you can leave. Once they notify you that your group is boarding, you have 2 hours to return.

BrentSienna

And why would you suggest this? I really want to know.
We left our resort and were in the DHS lot and at front gate in approx 10 to 15 mins. Was able to walk in easily at gates with 5 people ahead of us and then another 10 mins maybe to have our BP issued by Guest Services as the App wasn't recognizing one of our party in the park. We ended up with #78 at 7:10 am.

Right now if someone wants a BP time is of the essence and every minute counts. I prefer controlling my own destiny by having my car for something like this.

hopemax

Anyone know how this all works with CM Comp Tickets? Or I guess, any guest using a 1-day admission ticket.

Our normal ticket is my Dad's retiree Main Entrance Pass + guest passes, so with blockout dates my Dad is giving DH and I his pair of comp tickets. He won't get another set until January. So if the ride goes down before our Boarding Group gets called, a "come back tomorrow" FP will do us no good because we won't have admission to get into the park again. I know the first day they gave everyone a 1 day ticket, but are they still quietly doing that for people who don't have tickets for future days?

We are going to be attempting this on 12/20, made FP for the rest of the day. I have been to both Galaxy's Edges already (although didn't even ride WDW's Falcon because I didn't feel like waiting), but DH hasn't, so it will be interesting to see what he thinks of all of this.

nickys

Premium Member
Sure. But not using boarding groups is completely different than issuing FPs. Everyone seems to be answering based on when they thing FPs will become a thing, but the question was..... when will we not have boarding passes.

SR has neither.

Once the demand is such that it is deemed acceptable to have people wait in an actual queue I suspect.

SR opened with Galaxy’s Edge. They used the virtual queue (boarding groups) for the first day to cope with demand for entry to GE itself, and therefore SR also. After that the lines for SR were clearly within their “reasonable” limit, and they were not swamped with demand for GE either.

This is the alternative approach. So once we reach the point where all boarding groups are admitted within x hours of being issued then maybe they’ll just let it revert to a traditional queue. “X” is whatever they deem acceptable, might be 3 hrs, may be less than 2 hrs.

However, by using boarding groups they allow people to go off and do other things, and more importantly spend money. And now they have a proven virtual queue system that works well, and can limit people to one ride per day, maybe they’ll prefer that to Fastpass.

DisneyJoe

Anyone know how this all works with CM Comp Tickets? Or I guess, any guest using a 1-day admission ticket.

Our normal ticket is my Dad's retiree Main Entrance Pass + guest passes, so with blockout dates my Dad is giving DH and I his pair of comp tickets. He won't get another set until January. So if the ride goes down before our Boarding Group gets called, a "come back tomorrow" FP will do us no good because we won't have admission to get into the park again. I know the first day they gave everyone a 1 day ticket, but are they still quietly doing that for people who don't have tickets for future days?

We are going to be attempting this on 12/20, made FP for the rest of the day. I have been to both Galaxy's Edges already (although didn't even ride WDW's Falcon because I didn't feel like waiting), but DH hasn't, so it will be interesting to see what he thinks of all of this.
If they are unable to call your boarding group on your day, they are giving a FP+ AND a 1-day ticket still

Monorail_Orange

According to the blockout date website, currently ALL employee admission is blocked out at Studios through January31: Main Entrance Passes, comp tickets, and even employee self-admission. This may be subject to change, depending on crowd levels, but be aware you may have to buy tickets to get into the Studios as things are now.

YodaMan

According to the blockout date website, currently ALL employee admission is blocked out at Studios through January31: Main Entrance Passes, comp tickets, and even employee self-admission. This may be subject to change, depending on crowd levels, but be aware you may have to buy tickets to get into the Studios as things are now.

Legitimate COMP tickets are never blocked out. You get 2 every 6 months.

nickys

Premium Member
They have the fairest system right now with the Virtual Queue.

I’m not sure about that yet.

The BGs are running out within 15 - 30 minutes of park opening, which can be earlier than the posted park opening time.

Certainly favours those who get up early, like the old pre-FP+ days, without the running to the attraction. Saves waiting for hours in a queue.

No advantage to those staying onsite, the switch to evening EMH doesn’t help there either unless they somehow have BGs available only for those eligible for EMH, which can’t really happen since they cannot be sure all the original BGs will be through by then. Unless they simply cut any BGs not boarded by EMH, and have allowed only onsite guests to have booked special later BGs.

I think they should have morning EMH and only allow “EMH-eligible” guests to book BGs until the EMH is finished. There really needs to be some advantage given to onsite guests IMO if they want to keep the goodwill of onsite guests.

And it certainly is not really fair to those who see the posted opening time, arrive “in time” for rope drop and find the park opened 90 minutes ago and all BGs are done for the day.

The idea of a virtual queue is a good one, I just think they need to adjust it somehow to actually be fairer than the way it is working right now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They have the fairest system right now with the Virtual Queue.

Fairest isn't really true. It's fair in the sense everyone has the same shot at getting one, but it could still be distributed in another ways to make it more accessible to other audiences.

For instance, Disney could simply release BG blocks at regular intervals during the day. This would diffuse the need to be there first thing in the AM... relieving a lot of that pressure. Plus it would incentivize people to stay in the park as they would keep getting more shots at a BG if they miss out early.

Example: Release 20 blocks every 90mins at a pre-set time. Still limit people to one BG per day. This would mean those that are there earlier... get multiple chances to get a BG. And those that are there later, still get a chance at a BG. All while encouraging guests to be in the park... and discouraging the benefit of 'race to first' which is pushing ops harder to open the park early.

Additionally it would allow Disney to better regulate how many BGs are distributed each day... so they can increase or decrease their float multiple times a day as needed.

AND.. the system would be compatible with morning EMH...

Last edited:

DisneyJoe

And it certainly is not really fair to those who see the posted opening time, arrive “in time” for rope drop and find the park opened 90 minutes ago and all BGs are done for the day.

The idea of a virtual queue is a good one, I just think they need to adjust it somehow to actually be fairer than the way it is working right now.
Isn't that why they moved the official opening time to 7am and "only" opened today at 6:35, similar to a "normal" park opening?

DisneyJoe

Fairest isn't really true. It's fair in the sense everyone has the same shot at getting one, but it could still be distributed in another ways to make it more accessible to other audiences.

For instance, Disney could simply release BG blocks at regular intervals during the day. This would disburse the need to be there first thing in the AM... relieving a lot of that pressure. Plus it would incentive people to stay in the park.

Example: Release 20 blocks every 90mins at a pre-set time. Still limit people to one BG per day. This would mean those that are there earlier... get multiple chances to get a BG. And those that are there later, still get a chance at a BG. All while encouraging guests to be in the park... and discouraging the benefit of 'race to first' which is pushing ops harder to open the park early.

Additionally it would allow Disney to better regulate how many BGs are distributed each day... so they can increase or decrease their float multiple times a day as needed.

AND.. the system would be compatible with morning EMH...
But couldn't that, in effect, penalize those who get there first thing? Making them stay in the park and keep trying and still not possibly get a BG?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom