News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

BoarderPhreak

3cexqj.jpg

raven

So you are saying they lie every day when they open the gates before the posted times? Because they do that as normal convention... operations shifts like that are the norm. The vq opening is a different beast... but your b&w definition is violated to the advantage of guests every day...
Talking about this one instance, not every day operations. This was their first EMH of this ride being open and guests were relying on official posted times from Disney.

Lita

My thinking is they should stagger boarding groups to be released throughout the day. In other words you start with 40 groups in the morning. Once it gets into the afternoon, they release another 40 groups to be available starting after 12 noon. Then if time allows and everything is working they can release another 40 groups for the evening to closing hours. This way if you miss the morning rush you have two more shots at getting into a Boarding Group later in the day.

ThistleMae

So if the CMs were told at 7:15 when the decision was made to open the boarding groups, they should have been on the PA system making announcements and running around changing the signs? How would that seem like less of a lie to you?
Perhaps a better way to address this issue would be to state opening times will vary depending on crowds. That way no one gets locked into thinking it will open at a certain time.

ThistleMae

My thinking is they should stagger boarding groups to be released throughout the day. In other words you start with 40 groups in the morning. Once it gets into the afternoon, they release another 40 groups to be available starting after 12 noon. Then if time allows and everything is working they can release another 40 groups for the evening to closing hours. This way if you miss the morning rush you have two more shots at getting into a Boarding Group later in the day.
I like this idea!

raven

Those who waited in lines for Hagrids would disagree with this assessment.

Also, every single WDW park gets more people than every single Universal park.
Universal has perfected the bathroom and water breaks with their long lines and even implement them during Horror Nights if needed.

By the way, Hagrids has a 600 minute wait at one point on opening day. That’s 10 hours. But guests showed up knowing the lines would be long and nearly everyone loved the ride enough that they said they would do the same again.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Universal has perfected all of these issues of people waiting in long lines. Why can’t Disney?

Perfected? Thats a joke right?

The long waits only serve those who have nothing better to do then invest their time. That means ina locals heavy environment the locals win at the expense of everyone else... who dont have the luxury of unlimited admissions and visits.

raven

Perfected? Thats a joke right?

The long waits only serve those who have nothing better to do then invest their time. That means ina locals heavy environment the locals win at the expense of everyone else... who dont have the luxury of unlimited admissions and visits.
Hagrids STILL uses a simple standby lane, as they did on opening day. Guests from out of town coming for the opening had just as much of a chance to ride as locals.

ThistleMae

They need to give AP holder's an advantage as well. This isn't fair.
Don't AP holders have the advantage of going more often just by the nature of their pass? If I was able to go more than once or twice a year, I'd consider this an advantage. Just like if I lived in Florida close enough to go weekly. I'd say that was an advantage as well. I'd see myself saying to someone in this situation "gosh you're lucky."

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hagrids STILL uses a simple standby lane, as they did on opening day. Guests from out of town coming for the opening had just as much of a chance to ride as locals.

Standby lines work because of the self regulation of “willingness to wait”. Ultimately lines top out because of the tipping point where people are not willing to wait longer than the posted line.

That model breaks down when demand is extreme or people will “do anything” so the feedback loop breaksdown and lines get too long.

Excessive Long lines have all kinds of operational costs and guest issues. They also make it so your typical guest gets excluded because you have to be nuts to waste your very expensive tourist day on such waits. It only opens the potentials for those with no such “wait tolerance” and opens up more negatives to the park.

Once again its people prioritizing their desires over what serves everyone better.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I dont like it... because then it opens up all kinds of new problems. Line holding, people trying to get in and out of line.. having to feed/drain people in massive queues... where to put said lines and police them... people having to dedicate entire day of their vacation to something because the line is so big due to so many people with nothing better to do with theirlife except “must ride... disney crack...”

While the vq limits who gets in... it allows people to do so without having to play a game of constant one upping.

The “no limits” game only benefits the crack-addicts. Everyone else loses and has to over invest.
It seemed to work for Flight of Passage.

Remember they have the huge holding area on Grand Avenue, and those new bathrooms that were built just for the purpose.

I guess I'm just l'm school when it comes to queing. I prefer standby only, no FP.

raven

Guests spending money to visit from out of town are at a significant disadvantage to locals when it comes to waiting six+ hours for a new attraction.
Read my post again. I said guests visiting for the opening of the ride. They got there just as early as any local could and ride right along with them. Why? Because Universal only used a standby queue for the attraction and still does. The maximum wait time lately is 2 hours but people have been reporting riding in 90 min or less.

PeoplemoverTTA

We’re doing DHS in 11 days. I’ve already told my 15-year old stepson to be ready for an early morning so the two of us can ride (while my husband and toddler sleep later in the hotel). We were hoping for 6am EMH like for MF, so it’s no big deal for us to have to wait or whatever.

I know there’s no way to know for sure right now, but what do you folks think are the odds of the boarding groups going through Christmas? With a toddler and this being our only day at DHS, there’s zero chance we ride if we have to stand 8 hours in a queue. Of course I’ll be watching this thread closely...

Also, should it be relatively easy to get an Uber or Lyft from CBR to DHS at 5-5:30am? Should the parking lot be open by then?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom