News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

drizgirl

ALSO: I heard from another person in the line that Guest Experience told them that they expect to use VQ today and tomorrow. Not exactly a reliable source, and I would be very shocked if they didn't use VQ Saturday, but don't be shocked if it isn't here come Monday.
So is the VQ just going to be short term then? I wonder why. It seems to have helped things go very smoothly.

Mickeyboof

The local news is also covering this ride here in SoCal. Out running errands this afternoon and the local LA news radio stations had reports on the ride, crowds, downtimes, etc. which is so funny considering it's a ride 2,500 miles from LA. 🤣

The local Orange County Register also just put this story up on their front page. https://www.ocregister.com/2019/12/...-on-opening-day-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

I can’t read the article, headline only...

but Test Track and Pirates had more downtime today than Rise.

DarkMetroid567

So is the VQ just going to be short term then? I wonder why. It seems to have helped things go very smoothly.

I'm definitely not a reliable source, so keep that in mind, but I wouldn't be surprised. VQ requires more staffing, and I imagine passholders wouldn't be happy about having to show up so early in the morning.

socalkdg

There's no doubt that not needing to stand in an 8 hour physical queue with no restrooms/food etc is helping the overall guest satisfaction. It's less draining on the guest and I'd assume less stressful for the CM's. I think WDW has found the new solution to sorting out the first day crowds/ops for highly anticipated attractions.
Exactly, at my age sitting and taking restroom breaks ranks high on my needs list. :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The drones made an appearance at 6:30 PM. Followed by a short Resistance spiel.

20191205_183559.jpg

djkidkaz

The problem with the virtual queue system is that if you are someone with a one day ticket you are screwed. You have to take this huge risk on showing up and using your ticket with the HOPE that a boarding group will be available. Atleast if you allow people to show up and stand in line for 5 hours or whatever the option is there.

either way it’s a new ride and going to be very popular so the next few days will be interesting to see how they do it.

Mem11

Supposedly, as soon as you scan in at the ride you can request another boarding group.

So, That being the case it looks like they were there very early and were riding when they had the 1st stoppage and evac. Before the stoppage and after scanning in, they request another boarding group. They count the 1st stoppage as ride number 1 and also get an anytime fastpass. When the ride comes back up around 8am?? either their next group has been called or they use the fastpass - ride #2. Next they use whats left - fastpass or group reservation after 2nd ride - ride #3.

Here's where it gets tricky, all 4 rides were completed by around 9:30. If everything worked perfectly for them and they used the group reservation for the 2nd ride and immediately requested another boarding group, given the crowds, would they been able to get in a group low enough to get on again by 9:30?

So 4 rides in about 3 hours - that's pretty dang good and props to them for getting it done. The other possibility is that someone in the group didn't want to go a 3rd time and switched MB with the one who got the 4th.

Edit: Nevermind - I just read they got 2 FP's after the breakdown - one paper for ROTR today only and one digital FP in MDE good for ANY ride (including ROTR) valid today/tomorrow. I can easily see how they got 4 rides now...

Last edited:

disneygeek90

OOf, I wasn't expecting so much pushback. As someone who's been visiting for the past two weeks, it's just been very very strange. The scenarios are obviously very different with Thanksgiving, but today has seriously been one of the easiest days to do Studios, besides yesterday where it was dead virtually all day. If you put me on Sunset Boulevard right now, I'd have no idea a new attraction just opened.

I think this makes the most sense. Virtual Queue has created a really nice luxury, and it seems like it'd be a great idea to leave. We haven't yet, though, and I'm not sure how many vacationers would want to if they're not passholders or anything.

I think the VQ might have been a mess if it was employed last week though, for example. If it only took us about 30 minutes to get on after we used our VQ, then it's really not eating up that many people, isn't it?
Oh, no. What I meant by this is that 100 out of the roughly 120-140 groups initially created have now ridden. I would expect that a large portion of them would be ready to go home/to the hotel and get some much needed sleep.

ToTBellHop

I want to say this is the fourth downtime today? Much better than feared. First three downtimes were under an hour.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them keep boarding groups until breakdowns are less common. Having a huge line and forcing everyone to leave or sit there for an hour does not help in the press. Excellent service from the company today. Which boarding groups aren’t being accommodated? They’re up to 108 but trying to reopen, so I imagine they aren’t yet saying everyone 109 and up won’t be accommodated? 130+ is probably out of the question.

Lots of fast passes to deal with tomorrow but not everyone will return.

disneygeek90

The problem with the virtual queue system is that if you are someone with a one day ticket you are screwed. You have to take this huge risk on showing up and using your ticket with the HOPE that a boarding group will be available. Atleast if you allow people to show up and stand in line for 5 hours or whatever the option is there.

either way it’s a new ride and going to be very popular so the next few days will be interesting to see how they do it.
My recommendation would be don’t throw a one day ticket at the opening day of an incredibly hyped attraction, lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom