What will Disney’s response be to Universals 4th gate?

bUU

I left it open-ended intentionally. WDYM my own priorities? Rush to judgement much?
Hardly. As I said, nothing you've posted previously indicated that you would ever care to put the priorities of the owners over that of you, personally, as a guest. No rushing necessary; you haven't said anything that would indicate you even care about the bigger picture that real business leaders have to care about.

He may have run it longer, but that doesn't mean he's run it better or that it could have been run better. That's just nonsense.
No: Your saying that it is nonsense is nonsense. A successful businessman with demonstrated knowledge and experience versus a random, anonymous person ranting on the Internet - if you can't see how the former has credibility with regard to running a for-profit business and the latter doesn't then that's on you.

There almost seems to be a religion developing around the self-ratifying delusion that knowledge and experience don't matter. Don't join that cult; or if you have, get out while you can.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Hardly. As I said, nothing you've posted previously indicated that you would ever care to put the priorities of the owners over that of you, personally, as a guest. No rushing necessary; you haven't said anything that would indicate you even care about the bigger picture that real business leaders have to care about.

I haven't said anything that indicates that I didn't, but let's not let facts get in the way.

No: Your saying that it is nonsense is nonsense. A successful businessman with demonstrated knowledge and experience versus a random, anonymous person ranting on the Internet - if you can't see how the former has credibility with regard to running a for-profit business and the latter doesn't then that's on you.

There almost seems to be a religion developing around the self-ratifying delusion that knowledge and experience don't matter. Don't join that cult; or if you have, get out while you can.

Nice rush to judgement, you don't know who I am or of my accomplishments in life. I get it though, you're going to attack anyone and anything that isn't pro Disney, because you're a shill and that's what shills do.

Last edited:

OG Runner

I would like to preface my comments with the fact that I like the Universal parks a great deal. (the theme parks, I could care less about Volcano Bay or the Disney water parks) Looking at attendance figures, the Magic Kingdom park alone has more guests per year than
both of the Universal parks. I understand the attendance at Universal has increased some over the last few years, but right now, given
this fact, are they really competition? Maybe when there parks equal the attendance of one of the Disney parks Disney will fee the need
to respond. Until then, not so much.

Dog Ate Mouse

Honestly here is my take. I at the end of the day I am a true Disney fan. I also love Universal and what they have done. I have stayed at Universal to see what it was like to stay on property. It was just Okay far as a guest experience goes. The parks are different and see why people love Universal. Some really cool different rides and attractions.
With all that just said, I hope Universal opens the new gate and does a good job with it. I would like to See Disney re-imagine Epcot and get all the parks up in tip top shape. There is already a ton to do and see in all the parks and my resort stays has been nothing but fun, relaxing and pleasant. The food is good to great at all the places to eat and just love the Disney experience.
Honestly, with Universal opening another gate, that just gives me reason to go and see the new park before or after my Disney stay. This means the wife and I will have to have another 10 Day Disney vacation and a three day Universal park visit. Now the part we do is stay at a Disney value resort and go to Universal for the days and then start our Disney vacation afterwards at our moderate resort. Competition is good and can only make each park try and out do each other every now and then. We are all lucky to have both parks in Orlando and enjoy the experiences that both parks have to offer. To me that's the reason to go to Fla every year for vacation. One day though that Disney Hawaii trip will happen (Probably at retirement)

PixarPerfect

We are all lucky to have both parks in Orlando and enjoy the experiences that both parks have to offer.

We do the same thing. Disney gets the bulk of our trip and then we jet over to Universal for a day to visit Harry Potter and a couple of other rides. I don't enjoy much of the Universal experience and would never prioritize its parks over Disney. For our next trip, we'll spend 7 days in Disney and 1 in Universal.

Jon81uk

I don't understand why there's an assumption that its a zero-sum game with a visit to Orlando being a binary decision.
The potential biggest losers are SeaWorld and Legoland really. Adding days to a Disney ticket is "cheap", Universal is quite similar. But then to go to another theme park operator would mean more cost overall.

tirian

I don't understand why there's an assumption that its a zero-sum game with a visit to Orlando being a binary decision.
The immature binary arguments are the same way with most fan forums about any subject.

Most internet crowds can’t understand that real life is full of nuances and there are a myriad of choices. Very few mature, educated opinions are black-and-white.

It’s like when people were joining this forum just to troll the fans who’d been complaining about SWGE. “How can you claim to be a fan and HATE Disney?” How can you claim to be an independent human being yet remain 100% devoted to a faceless conglomerate? Since when does “I don’t like SWGE” equal “I hate Mickey Mouse”? Common sense doesn’t matter.

Back on-topic: much of Joe Public goes to “Orlando,” not simply WDW or Uni. I prefer the classic magic and nostalgia at WDW, and I haven’t been to Uni since Potter Phase II. But I can appreciate the good stuff Uni does, and I look forward to Epic Universe.

Last edited:

bUU

I haven't said anything that indicates that I didn't, but let's not let facts get in the way.
You haven't presented any facts about that as yet. That was my point.

Nice rush to judgement, you don't know who I am or of my accomplishments in life.
And all we can go on is how you present your thoughts here. It's not any kind of rush to judgement. It's a reasoned analysis of what you posted and didn't post.

Even though you don't like it.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You haven't presented any facts about that as yet. That was my point.

I posted an opinion, it doesn't matter if you didn't like it.

And all we can go on is how you present your thoughts here. It's not any kind of rush to judgement. It's a reasoned analysis of what you posted and didn't post.

Even though you don't like it.

There was no reasoned analysis, just drool spilt on the keyboard of a shill.

bUU

How can an opinion be incorrect? It is an opinion not a statement to be deemed right or wrong.
I agree with you about that. While most any opinion that goes against the ruling cabal's overriding intention toward negativity is deemed "wrong" here, that's really just nonsensical browbeating. In this case, though, there is a confusion steming from labeling what Trekkie101 wrote as "opinions", as if Trekkie101 was saying, "I like this," or "I don't like this." Trekkie101 was actually presenting predictions based on what Trekkie101 would claim are logical arguments. The problem SWR was pointing out was that the logical implications Trekkie101 used to support those predictions were flawed:

Flaw #1 - Trekkie101 wrote about Disney letting Universal catch up, but the lack of a 5th Disney gate is no reason to think that that's happening. This is an example of the Fallacy of the Excluded Middle, wherein the gap is either substantially widening or substantially narrowing, when the reality is much more likely somewhere in between, as pointed out by networkpro:
Trekkie101's analysis clearly ignoring how Disney's multi-billion dollar investments in New Fantasyland, Pandora, Toy Story Land, Galaxy's Edge, the EPCOT transformation, Mickey's and Minnie's, etc. are very likely keeping Disney ahead of Universal.

Flaw #2 - Trekkie101 wrote about Universal combining with SeaWorld, but (a) as others pointed out there is no reason to think that that would happen, and (b) there is no reason to think that that would have the impact Trekkie101 posited. Six Flags has 18 theme parks; does that make them better than Disney with its 10 or so (depending on how you count them)? Of course not. It isn't just about numbers, but also the quality of the IP and how presenting the IP is executed.

Flaw #3 (and the most "incorrect" aspect of what Trekkie101 wrote) - Trekkie101 wrote about how Disney is "struggling on capacity", but again there is no reason to think that how "busy" the parks proves that there is any "struggle on capacity". Trekkie101 is perhaps projecting their own unhappiness about how long are wait times for rides into a baseless assumption that there is a "struggle on capacity".

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I agree with you about that. While most any opinion that goes against the ruling cabal's overriding intention toward negativity is deemed "wrong" here, that's really just nonsensical browbeating. In this case, though, there is a confusion steming from labeling what Trekkie101 wrote as "opinions", as if Trekkie101 was saying, "I like this," or "I don't like this." Trekkie101 was actually presenting predictions based on what Trekkie101 would claim are logical arguments. The problem SWR was pointing out was that the logical implications Trekkie101 used to support those predictions were flawed:

Flaw #1 - Trekkie101 wrote about Disney letting Universal catch up, but the lack of a 5th Disney gate is no reason to think that that's happening. This is an example of the Fallacy of the Excluded Middle, wherein the gap is either substantially widening or substantially narrowing, when the reality is much more likely somewhere in between: Trekkie101's analysis clearly ignoring how Disney's multi-billion dollar investments in New Fantasyland, Pandora, Toy Story Land, Galaxy's Edge, the EPCOT transformation, Mickey's and Minnie's, etc. are very likely keeping Disney ahead of Universal.

Flaw #2 - Trekkie101 wrote about Universal combining with SeaWorld, but (a) as others pointed out there is no reason to think that that would happen, and (b) there is no reason to think that that would have the impact Trekkie101 posited. Six Flags has 18 theme parks; does that make them better than Disney with its 10 or so (depending on how you count them)? Of course not. It isn't just about numbers, but also the quality of the IP and how presenting the IP is executed.

Flaw #3 (and the most "incorrect" aspect of what Trekkie101 wrote) - Trekkie101 wrote about how Disney is "struggling on capacity", but again there is no reason to think that how "busy" the parks proves that there is any "struggle on capacity". Trekkie101 is perhaps projecting their own unhappiness about how long are wait times for rides into a baseless assumption that there is a "struggle on capacity".
Really, starting with the cabal b#ll#cks just kills the rest of your post. Not that I read it....

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Flaw #1 - Trekkie101 wrote about Disney letting Universal catch up, but the lack of a 5th Disney gate is no reason to think that that's happening. This is an example of the Fallacy of the Excluded Middle, wherein the gap is either substantially widening or substantially narrowing, when the reality is much more likely somewhere in between, as pointed out by networkpro:Trekkie101's analysis clearly ignoring how Disney's multi-billion dollar investments in New Fantasyland, Pandora, Toy Story Land, Galaxy's Edge, the EPCOT transformation, Mickey's and Minnie's, etc. are very likely keeping Disney ahead of Universal.

TL;DR version:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I didn't say anything about liking it or not liking it. I said there was no reasonable basis for what you claimed.

That's not exactly what you did, but you believe whatever makes you feel good.

Nonsense. You just don't like having the baseless and nonsensical nature of what you posted highlighted.

Blah blah blah blah blah, must please corporate masters blah blah blah. You're actually one of the weakest shills I've ever encountered.

Midlife Mouse

What I wish they would do: invest in the "Disney difference." More entertainment, more parades, more streetmosphere, more and higher paid (and therefore better motivated) CMs ... all of the little things that add up to a big experience.

What I think they will do: absolutely nothing.

BushManAK

What I wish they would do: invest in the "Disney difference." More entertainment, more parades, more streetmosphere, more and higher paid (and therefore better motivated) CMs ... all of the little things that add up to a big experience.

What I think they will do: absolutely nothing.
Sorry to say it but with the new minimum wage increases coming, they will be eliminating as many jobs as they can. I believe that is the real reason for the new photo boxes and limited parades (quickest way to save a lot of money). Another problem is partly our fault. Everyone want to go from one best ride to the next so this makes those lines very long and if the attendance on a ride or (quest) drops then suddenly there is no money to referb. things have just gone to far so now they are doing this referb to the most of the system and adding new attractions just in time for the 50th and as a bonus it gets to be their response to universals new park and trying to re-interest the die hard fan. Keep in mind things like this are known way before any of us know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom