News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

_caleb

Indeed - here's a pic from Shanghai construction that starts to show the side of the building currently visible from Barnstormer:

View attachment 423168

It's encouraging to hear that they've got plans to improve this view. I hope it's not too visible from Mermaid.

I won't pretend I'm not willing to forgive ANYTHING in terms of sightlines - it's true that the Magic Kingdom has some issues that have been standing since opening day. The difference there, of course, is that they are relatively minor and not a dozen stories tall. TRON does seem to sully the skyline of the Magic Kingdom from outside the park, which really is quite a shame, but I'd be very appreciative if they manage to mitigate the view from inside the park.
Looks like Minecraft

oogie boogie man

Wasn’t the story when FOP opened that the restraints were modified versions of Tron, I hope that if you fit on one you’ll fit on the other.

Ooooo, I hope so. I fit pretty well on FOP, just a little butter and some vaseline was needed.

Unfortunately, TRON’s seats are not super accommodating. A few larger friends that went to Shanghai couldn’t ride on the bikes. However, almost every train has alternative (traditional) seating in the back.

Ooooo, I'm happy they got some fat... I mean alternative seating in the back.

azox

Looking at the photos from blog mickey, I have to wonder if the canopy will have to be altered for the MK version. It looks like the part closest to the end of the track would be way up in the air if there is no walk way there.

tron-shdl-03272018-1-1068x712.jpg

Magic Feather

Looking at the photos from blog mickey, I have to wonder if the canopy will have to be altered for the MK version. It looks like the part closest to the end of the track would be way up in the air if there is no walk way there.

tron-shdl-03272018-1-1068x712.jpg
BC400849-27EB-4B8D-A0A6-56D6455B47BF.jpeg

Here is a really rough mock-up of how it will connect with current MK (Black is Tomorrowland Light and Power, then Blue is the walkway).

bpiper

I would assume so. As @wdwmagic said, they very well could have been taking photos of the install. I suspect we'll see something on the DPB this week.

I wonder if its more likely that the last piece didn't fit correctly and they had to make field adjustments to it. Hence them putting it in place multiple times. It's quite common for roller coasters to have some pieces that don't line up correctly and have to be modified on site.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I wonder if its more likely that the last piece didn't fit correctly and they had to make field adjustments to it. Hence them putting it in place multiple times. It's quite common for roller coasters to have some pieces that don't line up correctly and have to be modified on site.

That's very possible too.

It has been sitting on this flatbed.

DSC09870-1.jpg

Captain Barbossa

I know that the canopy still has to go up, but now that the outside portion of the track is practically complete and we now have a very clear picture of the height, along with the positioning of the poles, it's safe to say that the WDWRR track will have to come in a good bit towards the speedway.

Timothy_Q

I know that the canopy still has to go up, but now that the outside portion of the track is practically complete and we now have a very clear picture of the height, along with the positioning of the poles, it's safe to say that the WDWRR track will have to come in a good bit towards the speedway.
The train going through the tron supports is still a possibility. That’s what both pieces of concept art showed

Movielover

It should'nt have to move much at all.

According to the concept art the red area is where the tracks will go under. The blue area is a series of footers for the canopy. Notice there appear to be none in front or behind the red area.

A updated aerial photo would help.

azox

View attachment 423583

According to the concept art the red area is where the tracks will go under. The blue area is a series of footers for the canopy. Notice there appear to be none in front or behind the red area.

Makes me wonder if they will start the train track work before the canopy. It feels like you would want to get that in place before building the flooring and canopy. (maybe we will know in the coming weeks :) )

Captain Barbossa

The train going through the tron supports is still a possibility. That’s what both pieces of concept art showed
View attachment 423583

Oh I know that the mainline will be going through the supports, but my point is because of the length of the launch track, the mainline will have to come in some. And the red area is possible, but even with me picturing the dirt mound out of the way, I’m not 100% sure that there will be enough clearance to build the tunnel. (assuming that the tunnel is still happening) That piece of track is curved and diagonal, so that could limit the height.

RaveOnEd

Oh I know that the mainline will be going through the supports, but my point is because of the length of the launch track, the mainline will have to come in some. And the red area is possible, but even with me picturing the dirt mound out of the way, I’m not 100% sure that there will be enough clearance to build the tunnel. (assuming that the tunnel is still happening) That piece of track is curved and diagonal, so that could limit the height.
Maybe a little, but it can't do too much, since you have a fixed width going under the Space Mountain walkway, and running between that and the building back in to Tomorrowland. Maybe a slight curve to go under the supports. I think that was supposed to be the tunnel there anyway, correct?

Looking at the one aerial photo, the track may not need to be moved at all. It looks like it can virtually be relaid in the same spot as it originally was.

ToTBellHop

Maybe a little, but it can't do too much, since you have a fixed width going under the Space Mountain walkway, and running between that and the building back in to Tomorrowland. Maybe a slight curve to go under the supports. I think that was supposed to be the tunnel there anyway, correct?

Looking at the one aerial photo, the track may not need to be moved at all. It looks like it can virtually be relaid in the same spot as it originally was.
It’s as though they looked at the existing layout of the northeast portion of the park and plopped the Shanghai TRON ride layout on top of it in a way that would require minimal modification of existing park infrastructure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom