Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

SWGalaxysEdge

Show lights on for the exit of Rise... OP didn't say, but I believe Florida.
credit: @ParkObsession (twitter)

mickEblu

A stillborn theme park land is not enjoyable, no.

The funny thing is we know nothing about one another here. For instance, you have no clue immersive and environmental theatre and performance is not only my preferred form of entertainment, but was my academic focus and now career.

So to say something cute like I “can't enjoy the immersion” is absolutely hilarious. Oh, the internet.

I love immersion. But immersion doesn’t mean Real. Disneyland is Immersive because they have a physical space where the rules change. Disneyland is inherently immersive. In that sense, Target is inherently immersive because you’re in a changed space that reflects the story (which is their brand). There is a sense of Presentation. That is why the word immersive keeps popping up. Immersive shopping experience, immersive social media experience, immersive museums… Immersive is an awful word right now.

“Disneyland is presented as imaginary in order to make us believe that the rest is real, when in fact all of Los Angeles and the America surrounding it are no longer real, but of the order of the hyperreal and of simulation.”

Which means.... Disneyland is MORE real than any other place because it whole-heartedly confesses that it simply is a theme park. At the beginning of the day, a voice welcomes us to enjoy our day “in this magical place called Disneyland.” Its incredible the level of self-awareness Disneyland has. Something few other parks have the unwavering confidence to do.

Galaxy’s Edge, however, is pretending oh-so-hard that it is NOT a theme park, that it is NOT an attraction. Therefore it feels false, fake, a shell and does not bode well with the Park it’s settle within. BECAUSE it refuses to admit it’s a theme park land celebrating the lore of Star Wars, one of our greatest modern myths, it suffers greatly from contradictions and overall stagnate in story telling.

This is also the reason it bodes better in Disney's Hollywood Studios, which frankly has had an internal struggle understanding who for decades. Galaxy's Edge fits snuggly here, more than at confident Disneyland.

Its funny- by exhausting the concept that Galaxy’s Edge is a “real” place in “real” time, it makes it less “real” to our imaginations.

Well said, I much prefer the “old school” way of letting Disneyland and it’s respective lands Just be well themed places and have the attractions be the portals into the fantasy worlds. With Galaxies Edge they tried to move that portal to the entry of the land instead of the beginning of an attraction. It just lends itself to a lot of inconsistencies and is much harder to accomplish this feat in a wide open 14 acre land as opposed to within the confines of a show building.

Even though Disneyland has a lot of self awareness, I think the attractions, specifically dark rides, need to be where the self awareness stops. So I’m not a huge fan of Rocket Racoon saying “hey isn’t that Disneyland?” on GOTG:MB. I guess I can’t blame them, they need to back up the “KABLAM” backstory somehow.

wityblack

..and down one, if you count both ITS shuttles.

View attachment 423420
I'm confused about the context of this photo. Is this in the hangar bay section of the ride? Is it just concept art? Also, why does it say Resistance Transport Experience? Surely that sign isn't part of the ride.

Edit: Nevermind, it's part of the United Airlines Safety Video, and looks to be part of an exhibit in Syndey.

britain

My personal bet, after having sky-high expectations whittled down over the past 4 years: It will be a great attraction, one that -like Tower of Terror or Indy before it - defies easy categorization.

But will it be a timeless classic? It will depend on whether the script tries too hard to put plot points in your face at the expense of charm. A lot of Star Wars has wry humor weaving throughout the action. Is this going to be just “evade the space nazis” the whole time? Or will there be witty moments? Will those witty moments be effortless or lame? Will they hold up in 5, 10, 20 years like the pirates trying to woo the jail dog?

Game-changer? If by game changer you mean it will define what is expected from a headliner attraction, I’m going to actually vote no. I think it has proven to be so much of a headache that Disney will not want to bite off so much ambitious complexity for another decade at least. Why build more billion dollar ride-genre-bending attractions when a half-billion dollar Flight of Passage or Guardians coaster will do?

SWGalaxysEdge

I'm confused about the context of this photo. Is this in the hangar bay section of the ride? Is it just concept art? Also, why does it say Resistance Transport Experience? Surely that sign isn't part of the ride.

Edit: Nevermind, it's part of the United Airlines Safety Video, and looks to be part of an exhibit in Syndey.

..yes. The point was that one picture is the ship on the outside and the other on the inside ;-)

SWGalaxysEdge

My personal bet, after having sky-high expectations whittled down over the past 4 years: It will be a great attraction, one that -like Tower of Terror or Indy before it - defies easy categorization.

But will it be a timeless classic? It will depend on whether the script tries too hard to put plot points in your face at the expense of charm. A lot of Star Wars has wry humor weaving throughout the action. Is this going to be just “evade the space nazis” the whole time? Or will there be witty moments? Will those witty moments be effortless or lame? Will they hold up in 5, 10, 20 years like the pirates trying to woo the jail dog?

Game-changer? If by game changer you mean it will define what is expected from a headliner attraction, I’m going to actually vote no. I think it has proven to be so much of a headache that Disney will not want to bite off so much ambitious complexity for another decade at least. Why build more billion dollar ride-genre-bending attractions when a half-billion dollar Flight of Passage or Guardians coaster will do?

"supposedly" RotR can evolve over time. I don't really see it myself, not without some major overhauling.
In context, I only heard the above statement one time, and it was prob 6-8 months ago

TiggerDad

FYI because of the Disney panic over leaks, I am self-policing myself to not post any more images for now.
Its not that I'm not still getting them, I'm just not stirring the Disney pot. No need at this point.
We're 30 days out and once 12:01am EST on 12/5 hits, the cats is out anyhow.
I'm happy to keep discussing anything, no gag order..I'm not press
Congrats on making it a full three minutes before breaking your no pictures vow.

ToTBellHop

Zero chance, on both coasts. DHS needs every last second they can get, and especially since they are still behind DL in some areas.
You need to stop. You’re trying to create a false narrative when nothing exceptional with respect to a new ride opening is occurring.

There will be CM previews this month, then media days after Thanksgiving, then full open next month. The likely lack of guest previews is mostly to prevent any sort of negative narrative. They were legitimately surprised by the MFSR response.

Cosmic Commando

The designers of Galaxy’s Edge want us to believe it’s a real factual day at a real factual planet called Batuu. That’s where the problem lives. That’s where inconsistencies that wouldn’t matter at Harry Potter or Pandora suddenly do matter at Galaxy’s Edge- because they are forcing timeline and realism down our throats.
It might have changed for Hogsmeade, but both Harry Potter lands opened set at very specific times: Hogsmeade was set during the Triwzard Tournament from Goblet of Fire, and Diagon Alley is set during Deathly Hallows. You could even know the years! Goblet of Fire ended in 1995 IIRCC. The lands have to feel relatively normal so that things can function (imagine all the stores being permanently closed in Diagon Alley because the shopkeeper went home after the dragon escaped! But then the dragon also escapes while you’re on the ride, even though you already saw it outside!), and the big events happen on the rides. Sounds kind of familiar... Honestly, I expected the criticism to be that Disney was copying HP too much. This complaint feels like starting with a conclusion and filling in whatever facts you need.

ToTBellHop

It might have changed for Hogsmeade, but both Harry Potter lands opened set at very specific times: Hogsmeade was set during the Triwzard Tournament from Goblet of Fire, and Diagon Alley is set during Deathly Hallows. You could even know the years! Goblet of Fire ended in 1995 IIRCC. The lands have to feel relatively normal so that things can function (imagine all the stores being permanently closed in Diagon Alley because the shopkeeper went home after the dragon escaped! But then the dragon also escapes while you’re on the ride, even though you already saw it outside!), and the big events happen on the rides. Sounds kind of familiar... Honestly, I expected the criticism to be that Disney was copying HP too much. This complaint feels like starting with a conclusion and filling in whatever facts you need.
Exactly. They literally put Trowbridge in charge of this because of his earlier work on WWoHP.

Goofyernmost

..right and if you see it again, they are referring to "Galaxy's Edge" now open.
The two rides encompass Galaxy's Edge and they showed pictures of both in operation. One was the one that has been on TV for weeks with the young girl as pilot and the other was clearly in the ride vehicle of the Resistance with people on it reacting to the adventure. The ending sign off listed Disneyland and WDW and under it all said Galaxy's Edge now open. It didn't say partially open, Open Now was the only message. I'm not saying it was actually open, I am saying that they are implying that it is complete now. I only saw it once last evening on CMT. It may have been that someone ran it accidentally and was intended for later, but, there was no mistaking that it was saying to me, at least, that it was now operational.

WDWFREAK53

The two rides encompass Galaxy's Edge and they showed pictures of both in operation. One was the one that has been on TV for weeks with the young girl as pilot and the other was clearly in the ride vehicle of the Resistance with people on it reacting to the adventure. The ending sign off listed Disneyland and WDW and under it all said Galaxy's Edge now open. It didn't say partially open, Open Now was the only message. I'm not saying it was actually open, I am saying that they are implying that it is complete now. I only saw it once last evening on CMT. It may have been that someone ran it accidentally and was intended for later, but, there was no mistaking that it was saying to me, at least, that it was now operational.

I believe it aired during Thursday night football as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom