A Tale of Booze in Batuu

rsm

DISR

I'd try not to read too much into the various opinions on the blue/green milk. Seems like enough variance to make it worth trying in order to form your own opinion...some like it and some don't depending on their individual palate. It is not at the butterbeer level, but the frozen blue milk tasted pretty good to me. Olgas is for the experience, not the drink. I paid the ~$3 premium to drink one beer there and look around. I passed on the second drink due the cost premium over other nearby options.

jaxonp

I’ve been reading many negative comments for months about SWGE, smugglers run and the cost of everything in the land and now after visiting last week at Disneyland I can finally, begrudgingly say, I agree.

The cantina could be so amazing if I wasn’t overcharged and rushed out the door. The service sucked and the drinks were mediocre.

The milks were both better than I had expected based on reviews. I honestly like them.

The kadu ribs were inedible. The chilled shrimp dish was bland. Food needs help.

The merchandise is a mess. What happened to unique items? It looks like everything Disney sells everywhere else. They need to go back to the drawing board.

And finally- smugglers run.... this rides lead up is awesome. Everything is awesome until the ride actually starts. What the heck went wrong? Star Tours is a vastly superior ride experience. Such a disapointment.

The land itself is so beautiful with so much potential. However, I wish we saw more Star Wars éléments in a Star Wars land.

Last edited:

999th Happy Haunt

Blue milk was probably the most disappointing thing in the land for me. I’m a fan of fruity drinks, but I could not tell you what this stuff tasted like. Really hope a new formula is coming soon, as I do not see myself getting it again in it’s current form.

bubbles1812

Glad I went during the previews but Oga's isn't something I need to do again. But if I go with someone who hasn't been there yet, I'll go again.
In our case, we cancelled when found out it was a true bar (not a restaurant, despite the reservation being called "lunch" on MDE) and decided that we didn't want to take my nieces there. While we're not upset that they've added a bar (and are looking forward to enjoying on our adult only trip in Feb), we don't want to take my underage nieces to a bar, no matter how well themed to SW it is...
Aww. I’d actually give it a chance. It’s not a bar in the sense your thinking, I don’t think. There’s a two drink maximum so no one is getting drunk or heck probably even buzzed there.
I actually really enjoyed my experience and I drink very minimal alcohol because I legit react to most kinds. The non alcoholic drinks were quite tasty and less expensive.

I went in the morning and they do have a few snacks you could try then. The servers were excellent and enthusiastic when I was in there.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Aww. I’d actually give it a chance. It’s not a bar in the sense your thinking, I don’t think. There’s a two drink maximum so no one is getting drunk or heck probably even buzzed there.
I actually really enjoyed my experience and I drink very minimal alcohol because I legit react to most kinds. The non alcoholic drinks were quite tasty and less expensive.

I went in the morning and they do have a few snacks you could try then. The servers were excellent and enthusiastic when I was in there.
I don’t drink alcohol.

We went twice. I got the Cliff Dweller both times. It was really good, and I got the Porg mug each time.

I use them as pen holders - one at work and the other for my home office.

We had an excellent server the first time, and a really dreadful one on visit number two.

We will definitely return on our trip next summer.

PeoplemoverTTA

I don’t drink alcohol.

We went twice. I got the Cliff Dweller both times. It was really good, and I got the Porg mug each time.

I use them as pen holders - one at work and the other for my home office.

We had an excellent server the first time, and a really dreadful one on visit number two.

We will definitely return on our trip next summer.

Good to know - thanks. I have been checking daily in case something opened up for our December trip, since my 15-year old stepson is a massive Star Wars fan. I finally snagged a reservation for our DHS day when I checked on Saturday night, but it's at 9:25am, and only my son and I can go inside (I could only get it for 2, so my husband and daughter will have to go into a store or something). I wasn't sure what we'd be drinking, since it sounds like the blue milk tastes better frozen (outside). I'll give the Cliff Dweller a try 👍

Stevie Amsterdam

Talk about quality control issues!

In constrast to yours, @Mickeyboof, my sad little Outer Rim (which I also posted on Yelp, to vent my impotent rage) looked like this - not to mention that it was underfilled and 95% ice. FWIW, the other beverages you see here were supposed to be a ruby red Jet Fuel, which was brown instead, and two Carbon Freezes with dry ice and green apple popping pearls, from which the dry ice was inexplicably missing despite the fact that it's half the point of ordering this, and the green pearls were substituted for brown ones, which meant my kids looked like they were sucking down urine-tinged toilet water with turd balls in it. Note also the complete lack of coasters, napkins, straws or spoons... we were told that they'd "run out of a lot of things." :mad:

"I'd like to speak to the manager!" :mad:

[waits a moment until Oga arrives]

"Is there a problem?!"

"Not at all. Nice theming!" :angelic:

Jon81uk

In our case, we cancelled when found out it was a true bar (not a restaurant, despite the reservation being called "lunch" on MDE) and decided that we didn't want to take my nieces there. While we're not upset that they've added a bar (and are looking forward to enjoying on our adult only trip in Feb), we don't want to take my underage nieces to a bar, no matter how well themed to SW it is...

Have you watched the Star Wars films? Its pretty clear in the film that the Cantina is a bar and therefore it is exactly what I would expect to be built. Of course it is Disney so its relatively family friendly for a bar, but wouldn't expect a restaurant having seen the Cantina in the film.

Scrooged

I find that I agree with half of these comments and disagree with the other half. I think that Oga's could benefit from a bit of a re-tooling. I enjoyed the atmosphere and our server was great. I happened to be the schill that bought Spira coin, and let me tell you, tossing that coin across the table at my server and hearing it clang and seeing her eyes light up and saying "your credits are definitely good here, traveler" made me feel like a bona-fide Star Wars badass. Plus, she brought us an extra Bantha milk that made my kids squeal with glee. She mentioned that Oga would probably overlook one bantha milk. (RIP Awesome Disney server, thank you for your hospitality and one free drink.) My wife enjoyed the Fuzzy Taun-Taun, I enjoyed the Cliff Dweller, and the boys enjoyed DJ Rex and all the scenery.

Yes, the menu needs to be re-tooled. Yes the food offerings need to be reduced in price. But overall, the crowd of people and the atmosphere make it worth a visit.

Rodan75

I’ve been reading many negative comments for months about SWGE, smugglers run and the cost of everything in the land and now after visiting last week at Disneyland I can finally, begrudgingly say, I agree.

The cantina could be so amazing if I wasn’t overcharged and rushed out the door. The service sucked and the drinks were mediocre.

The milks were both better than I had expected based on reviews. I honestly like them.

The kadu ribs were inedible. The chilled shrimp dish was bland. Food needs help.

The merchandise is a mess. What happened to unique items? It looks like everything Disney sells everywhere else. They need to go back to the drawing board.

And finally- smugglers run.... this rides lead up is awesome. Everything is awesome until the ride actually starts. What the heck went wrong? Star Tours is a vastly superior ride experience. Such a disapointment.

The land itself is so beautiful with so much potential. However, I wish we saw more Star Wars éléments in a Star Wars land.

I agree with much of what you said. But Smuggler's Run was a disappointment on our first ride, just two of us. Then we had a party of 4 and it was a lot of fun yelling at each other to get the cargo and helping each other out. Rode it for a total of 3x last week and going with a group of 3-6 radically changes the experience. But they will need to start rotating the missions sooner rather than later.

Oga's is close to being what it needs to be. Add stools and shrink the max occupancy a bit. The drinks need a little fine tuning, but not as much as Cargo Bay 7. Everyone was unhappy with their meal. We all figured out better combinations of the entrees and sides than what was offered as standard by round 2. And you are 100% correct on merch.

The land overall turned out to be so much better than folks on here have given it credit for, it swallows up a ton of people without feeling too crowded (which leads to the commentary about it being empty).

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Wow. So if we extrapolate from here...$hapek's virtually then guaranteed to OK another alcohol sales location in Walt's park. And I completely agree with the need to rework the "milk" formulas. I've said it before but they were both a one and done for my daughter and I in current form. Interesting that they are actually "getting it" to a degree and will look to retool the Oga's menu. This seems fairly encouraging. The only negative is likely another alcohol sales location in DL, but I think we've all reached a consensus that that was inevitable at some point.
Think of all the sponsorship opportunities: Captain Morgan's presents The Tiki Room, Sazerac presents The Blue Bayou Restaurant, Coors presents The Matterhorn, and the like...

cjkeating

I understand some people need to sit down but from my visit I was so glad we were placed at one of the freestanding bars. It looked to me that you don't get a good view of the the bar and are potentially stuck on the seat in between two other groups?

From where I was standing I could see the bartenders and join in any interactions they started, DJ Rex and a good overview of the entire cantina, also we had a little chat to the other people at our bar and took some photos for the other groups but we didn't have to constantly engage or awkwardly ignore them for 45 minutes.

matt9112

Sounds like this place is WAYYY too small.
Before anyone goes off and says it needs to be small to feel like a real cantina let me point you to the leaky couldron. Massive compared to the movie and guess what still feels real.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom