working out for Disney

Sans Souci

Good morning!

I woke up today and did my gym workout. I may have pushed too hard in my biking. It felt fine and I went around 15.75 mi, but I kind of forgot that I would be running right after and probably should have saved my legs a little. I have too much going on around my normal weekday run time and I wanted to take advantage of the coolest temps of the day, so I got out just before sunrise. The temps were awesome...about 52-54 degrees out there during my run. I was having some foot pain and my legs were a little fatigued though, so I didn't run as hard as I would have liked. It was just a short maintenance run...2.5 mi with about .25 mi of walking in warm up and cool down. Minus the foot pain, it actually felt like a nice comfortable run. My feet had felt fine for my last few runs, so I think I need to try my insoles and extra cushy socks in these shoes...as these are the third model being introduced in my gear lineup. I have some stuff coming to help with this along with some pretty cool night running gear.

I've put in so much work of late that my brain is telling me it's Friday. I guess that's what happens when the extra time you've put in starts nearing 1-2 extra work days. There's at least now light at the end of this tunnel and it's helping my mental state. I'm allowing myself some sweets for sanity, but I've been pretty good with nutrition and hydration, so that's gotta help.

Do you ever use a foam roller? I can't remember if you said you ever did. I wonder if that would help with your legs? I'm sure you do foam roll, but I thought I'd throw it out there, on the slim chance you didn't.

Sans Souci

Happy Friday! ✨ 🎉

My body decided it was wide wake at 3:20, so I stayed in bed for an hour and got up to use my light box. Then I did a "15 minute fat burn" workout. You're supposed to do as many reps as possible and there is a benchmark. I didn't make the benchmark. :hilarious: She wasn't mic'd, so I had a hard time hearing her. You work for 45 sec with 15 sec rest, before you move on the next exercise, so it moves fast. By the time I figured out what was going on, the interval was almost over! LOL Oh, well, it still counts as a workout. :p

My husband offered to take me out for Korean food tonight, but I am kind of in a Chinese carry out mood. The good thing is both restaurants are located in the same strip mall, so I can decide at the last minute. :)

HouCuseChickie

Do you ever use a foam roller? I can't remember if you said you ever did. I wonder if that would help with your legs? I'm sure you do foam roll, but I thought I'd throw it out there, on the slim chance you didn't.

I do. I have two of them and they did help some with both my legs and feet. Part of the problem is that I have natural supination, which means I'm prone to very tight calf muscles and all of the issues that come with them. My friend suggested I start getting massages and take epsom salt and ice baths to help, but I've never really liked the whole massage thing and the bathtubs in this house are horrible. I miss my big jetted tub we had in the old house. It was a beast to clean, but it was the perfect soaker.

HouCuseChickie

Happy Friday! ✨🎉

My body decided it was wide wake at 3:20, so I stayed in bed for an hour and got up to use my light box. Then I did a "15 minute fat burn" workout. You're supposed to do as many reps as possible and there is a benchmark. I didn't make the benchmark. :hilarious: She wasn't mic'd, so I had a hard time hearing her. You work for 45 sec with 15 sec rest, before you move on the next exercise, so it moves fast. By the time I figured out what was going on, the interval was almost over! LOL Oh, well, it still counts as a workout. :p

My husband offered to take me out for Korean food tonight, but I am kind of in a Chinese carry out mood. The good thing is both restaurants are located in the same strip mall, so I can decide at the last minute. :)

Totally counts as a workout! Chinese carry out sounds amazing!

HouCuseChickie

I woke up and worked out today, but I wasn't feeling it. I did it...but it wasn't wonderful. Still, I feel better for doing it vs. skipping it...since the little bit of planking I did to compete against my daughter and a number of kids on her team last night just isn't enough. Ultimately... 1. I was up late to watch the Astros beat the Yankees. 2. I accidentally glutened myself last night and my stomach was angry (still is). 3. I'm getting bored. 4. My body is screaming for the time change. The glutening was probably the worst part. I was having a stress eating moment, grabbed a bag of salt and vinegar chips from the snack size bags I keep around for the kids' lunches, and about halfway through I realized it was malt vinegar in there. Malt is derived from barley which contains gluten...so, BAM! Angry stomach. :(

I'm kind of excited to run tomorrow. The new running gear I ordered yesterday is supposed to arrive today. I will still do my gym wind down and stretching after, but I may get in some more running around tomorrow afternoon if the adults get in on the action at this kickball party the kids are going to for a softball team member's bday. I may have to pull out my cleats!

In other news, I finally pulled myself away from run Disney trip planning and FL summer vacation ideas to put some planning into our winter break ski trip. What's really funny...we're only going to be about an hour and a half away from where we stayed in Colorado for our Great Sand Dunes NP day. I didn't really like that area as much, so I don't see us trying to take any side trips up there to connect the dots between trips.

Songbird76

Hello-

My sinuses felt better once the cooler, drier air came in, so I didn't feel the need to see a doctor. But, man, did I feel lousy.

I think I need to reevaluate my workouts. I don't know what's going on, but I am exhausted. I usually get up at 4:45 without an alarm to use my light box. I've been sleeping much longer than that. Also, I am falling asleep in the day. It's ridiculous. I'm going to give it one more week and see how I feel. If I'm still tired, I am going to change my workouts. I'm just really tired all day. Maybe its the change in seasons? I usually feel rested and ready to tackle the day, but not recently.

Now that it's cooler, I have a bread baking itch. I have some yeast coming in tomorrow and I made Belgian-style waffles this AM. I might get some brioche dough going tonight.

Oh, I forgot about this. I had absolutely no problem getting my macarons down to Orlando. I packed them in a cooler bag with some ice packs. They went through the X-Ray without a hitch. They didn't even ask for me to open the bag up. I was worried they would tell me I couldn't bring them, even though I'd brought homemade goods through TSA many times. My flight attendant friend helped me keep them safe during the flight and they weren't jostled at all during flight or landing. I stayed with Tiggerish at BLT and I stuck them into the fridge there for two days. They were perfect and I was relieved and excited.

It was time to get to the ship. Security to get into the terminal is similar to TSA. My bags went though and the guy working the belt searched my bags. He opened my cooler bag filled with 72 macarons and asked me I'd made the cookies. I said I did. He told me it is not permitted to bring homemade baked goods onto the ship. My heart dropped. I told him I spent so time on them. He asked me if they were for a party. I said yes, because I was on this cruise with 19 other women. He told me he knew I spent a lot of time on them, but to keep them out of sight. He let me bring them on and I thanked him. I was so worried about clearing TSA, I didn't even consider that I'd be prohibited from bringing them on the ship. :eek:

I got a lot of compliments on them, but the next cruise, I am going back to homemade soap. :hilarious:
Oh I'm so glad he let you bring them!! Why can't you bring them on the ship? Is it because technically it's international waters? I know you can't send/bring food overseas unless it's pre-packaged...nothing fresh. But it didn't occur to me that you wouldn't be allowed to bring them on the ship!!

Songbird76

Ha! I also had a funny situation back when I took my driving test. The Registry had overbooked driving tests the day I was scheduled, and they were also down 1 examiner that day. Hence, everyone's road "test" was about 4 minutes! :hilarious: (My driving instructor told me that if I had the full examiner test, I would have failed!) :p But, he knew I was capable of all the requirements, and I was just nervous with the examiner in the car--even if only for 4 minutes or so! :D
I never had to do the driving part of the test. I was the only 16 year old who DIDN'T want to drive, but my mom insisted I had to get my license. I was very nervous and never practiced, so when I turned 16, I wasn't ready to take the test. My mom told me I could renew my permit for one year, but I had to take the test once I turned 17. Once I was 16, we went in to renew my permit instead of going for a license, but their picture machine had crashed and they had to redo a bunch of pictures, so they were behind with the hardcopies and when they sent my hardcopy, the saw my age and apparently assumed it was supposed to be a license. So they sent me a license. I hadn't even noticed, nor had my mom, but a friend of mine was teasing me and took my wallet. She got out the license and gasped and asked when I had gotten it. I said I didn't have a license, just a permit. She showed me that it should have had an "i" for instruction if it was a permit. I took it home and showed mom, and she called the DMV and they said it was their mistake, they couldn't really fix it, so congratulations. I still did drivers ed and everything, I just never took the driving test.
My husband, when we lived in the states, wanted a US license because cops couldn't read the Dutch on his license should he get pulled over. So we went to the DMV and there was a Japanese guy just ahead of him, and that guy apparently couldn't drive at all. The examiner came in white-knuckled and very very angry, and the guy was laughing and the examiner was scolding him for all the mistakes he made....failing to stop for a red light, I think running over a curb or something....and this was the 3rd time he had taken the test. Anyway, when she went out with my husband, it only took a few minutes for her to pass him...I think she might have been more thorough if she hadn't have had a death ride right before him. He didn't even have to show her he could park. It was literally driving around the block once and then a 2 minute stretch on the interstate and then back to the DMV. He was back within like 10 minutes! We both lucked out!

Sans Souci

I woke up and worked out today, but I wasn't feeling it. I did it...but it wasn't wonderful. Still, I feel better for doing it vs. skipping it...since the little bit of planking I did to compete against my daughter and a number of kids on her team last night just isn't enough. Ultimately... 1. I was up late to watch the Astros beat the Yankees. 2. I accidentally glutened myself last night and my stomach was angry (still is). 3. I'm getting bored. 4. My body is screaming for the time change. The glutening was probably the worst part. I was having a stress eating moment, grabbed a bag of salt and vinegar chips from the snack size bags I keep around for the kids' lunches, and about halfway through I realized it was malt vinegar in there. Malt is derived from barley which contains gluten...so, BAM! Angry stomach. :(

I'm kind of excited to run tomorrow. The new running gear I ordered yesterday is supposed to arrive today. I will still do my gym wind down and stretching after, but I may get in some more running around tomorrow afternoon if the adults get in on the action at this kickball party the kids are going to for a softball team member's bday. I may have to pull out my cleats!

In other news, I finally pulled myself away from run Disney trip planning and FL summer vacation ideas to put some planning into our winter break ski trip. What's really funny...we're only going to be about an hour and a half away from where we stayed in Colorado for our Great Sand Dunes NP day. I didn't really like that area as much, so I don't see us trying to take any side trips up there to connect the dots between trips.

I hope your stomach is feeling better today and you had a fantastic run.

It's crazy how much wheat sneaks into things. I was watching this FA vlogger on you tube and she's trying to eat paleo. So she packs her own food for her 3-4 day trips. She bought Trader Joe's turkey meatballs and as she was talking about them, she noticed there was wheat in the ingredients. I've never used breadcrumbs when I make meatballs, but I guess that's a common binder.

Do your girls like to ski?

Sans Souci

Oh I'm so glad he let you bring them!! Why can't you bring them on the ship? Is it because technically it's international waters? I know you can't send/bring food overseas unless it's pre-packaged...nothing fresh. But it didn't occur to me that you wouldn't be allowed to bring them on the ship!!

My heart started beating so fast when he told me that. I don't know how many hours I'd spent on these, but I put a lot of time and money into them. I honestly didn't know about not bringing homemade items on board. I was polite about it and I told him I spent a lot time on them. He told me he could tell by looking at them. I was so relieved when he let me bring on board.

I think it's because they don't want you bringing homemade/unpackaged foods when they stop at Nassau. They make an announcement before they let you off the ship about bringing fruit from the ship or anything not sealed in its original packaging. I think they are worried about nasties that can get into their wild life and crops. Likewise, you can't bring the same things back on the ship. So you can bring back things like sealed rum cakes, but no produce you might have purchased.

Sans Souci

I never had to do the driving part of the test. I was the only 16 year old who DIDN'T want to drive, but my mom insisted I had to get my license. I was very nervous and never practiced, so when I turned 16, I wasn't ready to take the test. My mom told me I could renew my permit for one year, but I had to take the test once I turned 17. Once I was 16, we went in to renew my permit instead of going for a license, but their picture machine had crashed and they had to redo a bunch of pictures, so they were behind with the hardcopies and when they sent my hardcopy, the saw my age and apparently assumed it was supposed to be a license. So they sent me a license. I hadn't even noticed, nor had my mom, but a friend of mine was teasing me and took my wallet. She got out the license and gasped and asked when I had gotten it. I said I didn't have a license, just a permit. She showed me that it should have had an "i" for instruction if it was a permit. I took it home and showed mom, and she called the DMV and they said it was their mistake, they couldn't really fix it, so congratulations. I still did drivers ed and everything, I just never took the driving test.
My husband, when we lived in the states, wanted a US license because cops couldn't read the Dutch on his license should he get pulled over. So we went to the DMV and there was a Japanese guy just ahead of him, and that guy apparently couldn't drive at all. The examiner came in white-knuckled and very very angry, and the guy was laughing and the examiner was scolding him for all the mistakes he made....failing to stop for a red light, I think running over a curb or something....and this was the 3rd time he had taken the test. Anyway, when she went out with my husband, it only took a few minutes for her to pass him...I think she might have been more thorough if she hadn't have had a death ride right before him. He didn't even have to show her he could park. It was literally driving around the block once and then a 2 minute stretch on the interstate and then back to the DMV. He was back within like 10 minutes! We both lucked out!

I didn't feel ready on my 16th birthday, either, so I waited until 6 months later to get it.

OMG, I am laughing at the guy who was ahead of your husband at the DMV! It's like the guy was trolling the examiner. Then he came back into the facility laughing while the examiner is yelling at the guy. I know it's wrong, but I think that's hilarious.

Sans Souci

Good morning-

I did a kettebell and resistance band w/o. It was a lot of swinging. I started out with my 45 lbs KB and had to move back down to my 30 lbs. KB after a while. :hungover: I'm trying to work my way up to my 45 lbs KB again. I can't believe I used to use that beast a couple of years ago. :hilarious:

I'm hoping to get out for a stroll to check out all the leaves changing colors. 🍂 I didn't get out yesterday, b/c my stomach wasn't nice to me yesterday, either. Ugh. I just took it easy and slept it off. :depressed:

Songbird76

I'm sorry you and your fam had a lousy time at AK. I enjoy AK, but it feels brutally humid to me in the summer, because of all the foliage. I had heat exhaustion a couple of years ago at WDW. We spent the morning at Epcot and went over to play mini golf in the afternoon. As we were playing, I starting feeling really ill. I finished the round, but had to cancel dinner plans at Epcot and call it a day. I felt chilly, too, even though it was mid-May. I just went back to my room, drank lots of Powerade and rested. I think being in the afternoon sun did me in. When you're at a park, you're in and out the sun and AC. The mini golf was just non-stop sun beating on me.

I don't blame you for not wanting to go back, though. It sounds like it was just glitch after another, which is not a fun to way to spend a vacation, especially when you've travelled so far.
What was crazy is that it was still morning and we hadn't even been in the park for more than 30 minutes when she started feeling ill. It happened SO fast. Florida heat in the Summer is no joke!! I wish we didn't have to go in the Summer, but it's the only time that works because we aren't allowed to take the kids out of school at all. They are allowed one day for a wedding for an immediate family member, and I think we had 1 week when my dad died, because it was international. But they take it very seriously here. And the vacations are too short to make it worth the money to go any other time than the Summer. The most we get is sometimes 2 weeks, but with that distance, you need a week afterwards to get rid of the jetlag. I wish we had longer at Christmas, although then I'm told it's so busy you can't always get into the parks and even if you can, you can't do anything in them. We'll have to take advantage when the kids grow up, and once they have kids of their own, we'll have to go before they are school aged! Then we can go when it's cooler weather and hopefully not as crowded.

HouCuseChickie

I hope your stomach is feeling better today and you had a fantastic run.

It's crazy how much wheat sneaks into things. I was watching this FA vlogger on you tube and she's trying to eat paleo. So she packs her own food for her 3-4 day trips. She bought Trader Joe's turkey meatballs and as she was talking about them, she noticed there was wheat in the ingredients. I've never used breadcrumbs when I make meatballs, but I guess that's a common binder.

Do your girls like to ski?

Much better!

I guess I never considered that it was malt vinegar on the chips. I knew malt was a problem, but it figures it's what they'd use for the chips. It's got me thinking about my R&C ADR for my upcoming trip. I've heard they can do a gluten free version of their fish n' chips, but I can't have the malt vinegar. I guess I can ask if they have red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar on had for salad. Yeah...meatballs and meatloaf are usually off limit items for me. I have home alternatives for binders in these dishes, but they're usually unsafe dishes. :(

Kendall skis and Sam snowboards, but the haven't been since New Year's 2016, so it's been a while. I've tried both and don't enjoy it, but I'm excited for real winter in a picturesque area. And if there's time, we'll probably go tubing.

Songbird76

I'm not sure if it was from the cooler weather running (aggravated my asthma) or if my body just needed a break, but I did not work out yesterday. It was so bad that I felt like I was coming down with something. Monday is normally my break day. I entertained the idea of getting up to make up for yesterday, but I didn't. I stayed up late to try and watch the Astros/Yankees game (only made to the bottom of the 9th) and killing flies (we think something died in the chimney during the flooding- couldn't get to it- and now we're in the nasty fly phase). I was also a bit emotionally drained. I was playing on Facebook before going to bed and saw that a childhood friend had lost his battle with cancer yesterday.

Most of us (myself included) had no idea he was sick. He was pretty successful in the music industry and has a grade school aged daughter, so I'm sure he was just trying to have some peace in all of this. I'll spare you all of the memories that have been flooding my brain, but it's just been weighing a lot on my mind today. He's a guy I knew since I was 4 (lived a block a away), his younger sister is my age, we traveled in the same social circles for a little bit in high school, we started going to the same synagogue at some point growing up, and we both were top singers for our school...meaning we were in most of the same select groups, both in and outside of school. We were only 30 minutes apart during college, but never had a chance to meet up during those years. My husband isn't the most nostalgic person, so he doesn't fully understand my reaction. Hopefully, tomorrow will feel more normal.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I found out on Monday that my College choir director passed last weekend, too. I totally understand your nostalgia. How sad though, that your friend was so young and leaves behind a young daughter.

Songbird76

Chicken and waffles with strawberry butter at Metro Diner in Savannah last night. More calories and carbs than I usually have, but good stuff. This is a half order as the full order comes with two more pieces of chicken and a whole waffle.
As you know, I don't follow a real strict diet and do have the ocassional treat. This was a treat.
Another treat today for lunch, Zunzi's, one of my favorites.

View attachment 418421
THAT is a HALF order???? I don't think I'd be able to eat even this much!

Songbird76

Hello-

I did my usual light box following by workout routine this AM. It was fast and furious and over before I even knew what hit me.

I got my "thanks, but no thanks" from Delta today. It only took them two months. :rolleyes: What frustrates me is they never even requested my resume. I think it's because I indicated that I never had a job where I was responsible for someone's personal safety or health on their questionnaire. I knew it was coming, but it still stings to finally receive confirmation. :( So, I don't know what my next move is here.

I am making baked tofu and red bell pepper with homemade sweet chili sauce and avocado over brown rice. I haven't made this in a while and I really enjoy it. I love the crunchy bell pepper and the buttery avocado together.
What exactly is it that attracts you to a career as a flight attendant? Perhaps you could find another career that could offer some of that. Like....travel agent, or hotel industry? You'd still get to work with people in a sort of service capacity, but without the nasty group interview things, etc. And travel agents also earn bonuses that they can use to travel themselves, if that interests you.

HouCuseChickie

I got up around 6am and was out just before 6:30am for a 6.5 mile run. I still had some foot pain, but it wasn't awful and it wasn't constant. I'm not sure if it's because I was in my cushiest shoes, if the new foot pads were helping, or a bit of both. It wasn't my fastest run, but it was still pretty decent and I had a lot of moments where I felt really strong and I was still faster than at least one of my recent 10ks. Afterwards, I biked for 30 min, did a lot of stretching, arm work and abs. I have to get used to it, but my new night light vest is fairly comfortable and at least getting out early means getting to see sunrise.

48924851601_b5fbe2f9ab_c.jpg

48924317018_73663905b1_c.jpg

Songbird76

Well, we're not coffee drinkers, so diet soda has been our caffeine alternative for many years. I know it's so unhealthy, but his theory is that my body is adapted to it in a way.

It's funny because I still perceive Cookie to be the brighter dog, and while she's had her naughty moments, she's definitely the more obedient of the two. I remember reading a book some time ago that addressed canine intelligence vs. predisposition to willful disobedience/willingness to please in certain breeds and then tied it into adult breed energy levels. In the end, the couch potatoes who weren't too bright, but had a strong willingness to please were some of the best dogs. So, dumb...lazy...but really wants you to like them :hilarious:Jack Russels are high energy and have that terrier nature, so I could totally see how he could be destructive. I have a feeling we'll have to wait until Voo is around 2 to see some mellowing with the destructive stuff. So, by this time next year, she should be nearing that phase. Until then, we have to do a really good job of keeping her locked up when we can't have eyes on her. 🔏
One of my friends had a dog who passed a few months ago, and her friend is a vet, and she told her she needed a new pup to take care of, because she was completely broken at the loss of Harry. So she got this new puppy...I don't remember the breed, but she said he is so smart and so destructive. She said Harry was such a dumb dog, you could hide a toy under a couch cushion and he'd just look around like "Where did it go?" even though he watched you hide it. He was just a big slobbery mutt, and she LOVED him. Now she's got a smart one that you have to have constantly in your sights. She said it's actually been nice to have the distraction so she doesn't just fall apart over Harry's loss, but boy is Rupert a handful!!

Songbird76

Wait....you'll be in Colorado? What part? My brother lives in Laramie Wyoming, which isn't far from the Colorado border. And he owns a restaurant...if you're in that area, you should check it out. They have some gluten free and I think vegan options, apparently. They just bought the restaurant this Summer, so I haven't been there, but I see things on FB occassionally.

Songbird76

I didn't feel ready on my 16th birthday, either, so I waited until 6 months later to get it.

OMG, I am laughing at the guy who was ahead of your husband at the DMV! It's like the guy was trolling the examiner. Then he came back into the facility laughing while the examiner is yelling at the guy. I know it's wrong, but I think that's hilarious.
It was rather funny! It is a University town, so there are a lot of Japanese students there studying various things...we had a lot of Piano and violin students from Japan, and I think there were probably several in other fields as well, but the Japanese students were notorious for being bad drivers. I don't know what the process is in Japan to get a license, but either it's much easier, or their rules are really different. I guess the guy wasn't at all bothered that he had failed for the 3rd time and had to wait for a few months before being allowed to come back....I don't think I'd have found it at all funny in his position. And his friend didn't seem amused either. He had borrowed his friend's car for the exam, and of course the friend had to wait there while he did it...I got the impression he was getting impatient that he was spending so much of his time at the DMV. That's how I knew it was his 3rd time taking the test....the friend was telling us all about it. But the examiner stormed in...white as a sheet and looking visibly shaken, and she's running down a very extensive list of mistakes and she was NOT happy that she had been subjected to it. I felt SO bad for her...and then to have to go right out and get in another car, with another foreigner, who may or may not have a clue what the laws are regarding driving in the US....yikes. I really think that's why his test was so short. Compared to the last guy, I'm sure his driving seemed like a dream!

ETA: I'm caught up!! Yay!!! One more thread to catch up on before I start on TRs...well, except my own TR. I'm trying to work on that one regularly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom